GIS: Minutes June 27, 2007
Agendas and Minutes

{State of CT Geospatial Information Systems Council}
 

GIS Council Meeting

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

2:30 PM – 4:00 PM

Department of Information Technology

 

DRAFT

 

 

The June 27, 2007 GIS Council Meeting minutes are not official or binding until acceptance by the GIS Council at the next scheduled meeting, July 25, 2007. 

 

 

 

Members Present

Diane Wallace, DOIT

Mike Varney, DOIT

Richard Gallacher, Town of Manchester

Skip Thomas, DEMHS

Erik Snowden, Regional Planning (CRCOG)

George Pohorilak, DPS

Jerry Iwan, DPH

Stephen Lowrey, Town of Tolland

Steve Fish, DEP

Andy Asaro, DOT

Sandy Prisloe, UConn

Scott Roberts, Town of South Windsor

Dennis Barry, DSS

Patrick Ladd, Town of West Hartford

Raymond Philbrick, DPW

Tyler Kleykamp (for Dan Morley, OPM)

Beth Steward-Kelly (for LTC Gerald Luwkowski, Military)

 

Members Absent

 

Bill Palomba, DPUC

Stuart Fitzgerald, DECD

Derek Phelps, Siting Council

Wayne Kasacek, DOA

Tony Andosca, CSU

 

 

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 2:30 p.m. by Chairwoman Wallace. 

 

Review of May 23rd Minutes

 

Chairwoman Wallace called for a motion to accept the May 23, 2007 GIS Council meeting minutes.  Chairwoman Wallace asked for discussion, no discussion ensued. Council Member George Pohorilak motioned to accept; Council Member Richard Gallacher seconded.  All in favor - none opposed.  Motion carried. 

 

Data and Inventory Assessment Working Group

 

Data and Inventory Assessment Working Group Chair, Jim Spencer reported the last Working Group meeting was held on 5/31/07.  Chair Spencer indicated the workgroup has consolidation 14 Core Data Themes down to 11 Themes; Administrative & Political Boundaries, Base Map Imagery (Ortho, Oblique, and Scanned Imagery), Cadastral Information, Census and Demographics, Critical Infrastructure, Elevation and Bathymetry, Geodetic Control, Geographic Names and Places, Hydrography, Land Use and Land Cover, Transportation).

Working Group Chair Spencer indicated the group has identified industry experts with subject matter expertise for data theme areas. Spencer indicated that sub-committees need to be established for each of the Data Themes and participation is needed from all areas and each council member should consider providing participation from their environments.  It was suggested that a letter go out from the council to solicit involvement on these committees.  Spencer indicated there was much work to do with limited resources. The theme groups and sub-committee projects will need to be prioritized. 

 

The report was followed by open discussion entailing ways to get more participation on the sub-committees and how the working group can prioritize the projects.

 

Training and Education Working Group

 

Working Group Co-Chair Sandy Prisloe reported that the Training and Education Working Group’s next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, July 3 at the State Armory.  Prisloe stated the group was receiving web portal training to facilitate updates of content on the Council website.  The group is also looking to develop a database of contact information for a Who’s Who in the CT GIS arena. Co-Chair Prisloe indicated the group is researching how other states conduct their training.

 

Co-Chair Prisloe spoke of the Connecticut GIS day which will be held this November.  The concourse at the Legislative Office Building has been reserved for this event.  Plans are in progress to determine the displays and the group is developing ideas for interactive hands-on events.  Discussion ensued and a suggestion was made to promote the event with press releases and a proclamation from the Governor.  Co-Chair Prisloe indicated the working group will look into these and other ideas and will report back.

 

Co-Chair Prisloe updated all on The Northeast Arc Users Group (NEARC) Conference coming up on November 4 - 7, 2007 in Burlington, Vermont.  Prisloe encouraged council members to have their GIS staff attend. Chairwoman Wallace offered to send a consolidated list of State of Connecticut employees to the Governor’s office for out of state travel authorization as this is a meaningful event.  Contact Mike Varney to be added to this list by September 1st.

 

Legal and Security Working Group

 

Legal and Security Working group Chair Brenda Bergeron reported on House Bill No. 7024, Public Act 07-56; An Act Creating An Intrastate Mutual Aid System. The Bill goes into effect on October 1st. The legislation would provide for mutual aid in times of emergency with no need for pre-written agreements. Chair Bergeron indicated the Bill protects participating towns from liabilities and issues of reimbursement. While the Bill is not specific to GIS, GIS could be considered a service that could be used in a mutual aid event.  Some discussion ensued related to the use of GIS in recent flood and storm events and the Governor frequently uses our GIS technology for emergency events.

 

DEMHS GIS Project Update

 

Mike Varney (Project Manager) for the DEMHS GIS Project reported on the GeoLab at State EOC and indicated policies and procedures are being finalized.  Varney stated the group will be looking for volunteers to train in using the technology for preparedness in the event of a disaster.

         

Varney stated that the database is being constructed & state data collection is ongoing and the ETL processes are under development for datasets. Additionally Varney stated that the Portal applications are in development as well as the self-service municipal update interface for data collection and updating.

 

Varney introduced the 2 newest members of the DOIT GIS team, Bernard Asimonye and Liz Crutcher.  Their contact information will be forwarded to council members and posted on the website.

 

A Strategic Plan Update was provided by Steve Anderson of Applied Geographics, Inc.  Anderson indicated three workshops have been held and Six Programmatic Goals have been identified: Organizational, Funding, Data, Infrastructure, Champion, Communications and Marketing. A review was also presented on the programmatic goals.  The next data gathering events are scheduled as follows: July 10th at Danbury, Western CT State University, July 13th at Windham Eastern CT State University, and July 17th at New Britain Central CT State University.

 

Project Manager Varney stated that a draft delivery of the strategic plan is on schedule and should be available for review the first week in August. A full review will be made at the August GIS Council Meeting.

 

 

Finance Working Group

 

Working Group Chair Steve Fish stated there was no report for this meeting.

 

Update of USGS grants

Mike Varney reported the following updates on grants:

Information Portal Grant: Varney has met with both Massachusetts and Rhode Island GIS coordinators, plans are being developed for a data sharing portal. Varney is still trying to coordinate a meeting with the state of New York; Supplemental Assistance Grant: The position has been filled by Liz Crutcher, who will be located at DOIT and will support activities for both the Data & Inventory Working Group and Training & Education Working Group

 

 

Meeting PowerPoint presentation

 

 

New Business

 

Data and Inventory Assessment Working Group Chair, Jim Spencer presented a demonstration of work being done by the Transportation sub-committee.  The sub-committees goal is to support the core needs of all agencies. Anyone wanting more information or wishing to provide input may contact Jim Spencer directly. The Transportation sub-committees meeting schedule will be posted on the calendar on the Council Website.

 

Some discussion ensued with questions on dynamic segmentation and real time tracking.  Council Chairwoman Wallace was interested in seeing updates on other projects and discussed the possibility of future meetings showcasing what is going on in GIS and getting guest speakers in to present.  Council members agreed this would be of interest, so it will be added to future Council agendas.

 

Other Business

 

Council Member Sandy Prisloe requested a status update of when Pictometry Imagery and 2004 Ortho Imagery will be available.  Discussion ensued on the 2 terabytes of data delivered covering 53 towns and the Connecticut River and the future scheduling of training and delivery plan that will be provided.  It was indicated that much of the information will be viewable through the DEMHS application.

 

Issues on funding were discussed and Council Chairwoman Wallace indicated she will look to the Finance Committee to follow up. Council Chairwoman Wallace encouraged the Council Membership to be prepared to contact their legislatures on funding for GIS to make the message loud and strong.

 

Adjournment

Chairwoman Wallace asked for a motion to adjourn the meeting.  Council Member Skip Thomas motioned to adjourn; Council Member George Pohorilak seconded.  All in favor - none opposed.  Motion carried.  Meeting adjourned at 3:52 p.m.

 





Content Last Modified on 7/26/2007 3:19:54 PM