GIS: Minutes March 22

{State of CT Geospatial Information Systems Council}

GIS Council Meeting

March 22, 2006

Minutes

Members Present

Diane Wallace, DOIT     

Derek Phelps, CT Siting Council

Dan Morley, OPM            

Patrick Ladd, Town of West Hartford

Stuart Fitzgerald, ECD    

Eric Snowden, Regional planning agency

Angelo Asaro, DOT         

Stephen Lowrey, Town of Tolland 

Tyler Kleykamp, DPH        

Scott Roberts, Town of South Windsor 

Wayne Kasacek, DOA       

LTC Gerald Luwkowski, Military

Skip Thomas, DEMHS      

John Harmon, CCSU

Raymond Philbrick, DPW    

Bill Palomba, DPUC

Dennis Barry, DSS           

John Scull, DEP (for Steve Fish)

George Pohorilak, DPS       

 

Members Absent

Pat McGlamery, UConn

 

Call to Order

Chairman Diane Wallace, Chief Information Officer, State of Connecticut, called the GIS Council meeting to order at 3:00 p.m.

 

Old Business

Chairman Wallace welcomed members.  She asked Council if there were any comments or questions regarding minutes of the February 22, 2006 GIS Council meeting which were distributed via email and posted on the DOIT GIS Web site.  Council had no questions or comments. Chairman Wallace put forth a motion to accept February 22, GIS Council meeting minutes.  The motion was seconded by Commissioner Thomas, and all in favor.

GIS Education

John Harmon (CCSU) gave a brief educational presentation on GIS to Council members.

 

GIS Project Manager Role

A draft job specification for a GIS Project Manager Role was distributed via e-mail to Council members for review and discussion at the March 22, meeting.  Discussion took place regarding required skill sets, scope of responsibilities, and the amount of time it would take to hire someone.  It was noted that DPS had already established two GIS titles envisioning they would commit some time to the State GIS project.  It was also noted that DAS had received an educational overview of GIS, and is supportive. A question was asked regarding moving this request forward, and to the interview process i.e., has evaluation criteria been defined.  Chairman Wallace stated there were several DOIT employees with the skill sets to collaborate with Council members and DAS to help accomplish the task.

Commissioner Thomas put forth a motion to approve the GIS Project Manager position specification and to move to DAS for review and final approval.  The motion was seconded, and all in favor.

 

New Business

Enterprise & Homeland Security GIS Implementation Strategy Draft

 

Chairman Wallace stated the rightful owner of the document is DEMHS as this draft document specifically addresses business requirements for priority emergency management and homeland security applications. 

She asked the Council to comment on what business requirements they feel are missing from the assessment. Members noted such items as follows:

Scott Roberts (Town of S. Windsor): 3D Visualization; ­Tyler Kleykamp (DPH): Customization on the front-end; ­Wayne Kasacek (DOA): Planning scenarios to address bird tracking for potential pandemic situations; ­Dennis Barry (DSS): How we would “recover” in the event of a disaster; Dan Morely (OPM): Procedures to keep data updated; ­Stephen Lowrey (Town of Tolland): Epidemiology and training requirements, and he would like to see Connecticut’s GIS available to smaller towns without funds as a planning tool for things such as zoning, tax assessment, etc.

 

A question was asked regarding the identification of volunteers, their skill sets, how far we are in the process with the design and build of GIS, and what the Council could do to help agencies move forward. Chairman Wallace explained that while the Council supports and approves activities of the GIS project, it is the project team, once established, who is responsible for moving the project forward.

 

USGS Cooperative Grant Plans

John Harmon (CCSU) gave a high level overview of the two Federal CAP grants awarded to the State of Connecticut through the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).  Category 3 grant is to be used for strategic planning and Category 5 grant is to begin the construction of a data repository.  Design and implementation of the GIS database was discussed and the need for resources.  LTC Gerald Luwkowski (Military) volunteered a resource for one day per week.  Other discussion around training and a state licensing contract for GIS software took place.  There is a training program that was developed within the Interim Council and the state does have a state licensing contract that allows towns/municipalities, etc. to use if needed.

 

Bylaws

Chairman Wallace opened discussion of the Connecticut Geospatial Information Systems Council (CGISC) Bylaws draft sent to Council members.  She passed out an addendum to the draft that listed the CGISC Standing Committees formed within the Interim Council and opened the floor for discussion on the need for these committees.

The Council reviewed the purpose and activity of each Standing Committee during their tenure within the Interim Council.  The Council agreed some of the Standing Committees are still necessary within the new GIS Council.  A recommendation was made to keep Standing Committees but to call them “Working Groups”, and to change the draft Bylaws to reflect the Council’s authority to appoint “Working Groups” as appropriate and required to meet business needs.

 

Dan Morely (OPM) offered to lead the administration of all funding efforts for the GIS Council to ensure uniformity in applying for, and spending of such funds.

 

John Harmon (CCSU) and five other Council members volunteered to assist in developing a work plan to develop the strategic plan required by the Category 3 funding grant.

 

Chairman Wallace will follow-up with each Standing Committee Chair of the Interim Council and request a brief overview of their past activities.  This information will be presented to Council members at the next meeting for determination of what new Working Groups should be appointed.

 

Chairman Wallace asked if there were any more suggested changes to the draft bylaws.

Derek Phelps (CT Siting Council) requested additional verbiage be added to the Reporting Requirement Bylaw to allow more flexibility for legislative support.

 

Commissioner Thomas put forth a motion to approve the draft Bylaws dated March 21, 2006 with the suggested changes.  The motioned was seconded, all in favor.

 

Other Business:

Chairman Wallace opened the floor for discussion of other business.

 

Dennis Barry (DSS) thought the GIS education overview was of value and suggested the Council consider ongoing educational sessions.

 

Glenn Elliott (Military) suggested we create mock EOC drills to ensure staff are trained and prepared to react in actual emergencies. 

Jim Spencer (DOT) agreed and suggested teams should be formed with procedures on how they will interact.

 

A request and commitment was made to dedicate space for a GIS office at DOIT to facilitate the project team’s ability to get up and running once a project manager has been hired.  In the interim, Chairman Wallace has appointed Michael Varney (DOIT) as acting GIS project manager.

 

Kerry Flaherty, (DEMHS) suggested ESRI present the final Needs Assessment document at a future council meeting.

 

Adjournment

Chairman Wallace put forth a motion to adjourn.  The motion was seconded by Commissioner Thomas, and all in favor. 

 

The next GIS Council meeting will be held on Wednesday, April 26, from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at DOIT, 101 East River Drive, East Hartford, CT.

 

Minutes of the March 22, GIS Council meeting will be sent via email to Council members and will be posted on the DOIT Intranet Web site (which can be accessed by public domain). 

Meeting agendas will be posted in advance and sent via email.

 





Content Last Modified on 12/6/2006 12:22:28 PM