DMV: Acceptable Forms of Identification Needed When Registering a Vehicle In Connecticut

Acceptable Forms of Identification Needed For

Registering a Vehicle


Any individuals requesting a new registration transaction at the DMV is required to be present at the branch office to process their transaction.  If an applicant is not present:

  • If one name is listed on the registration application (form H-13B), and that person is not present,  then a Power of Attorney (form A-83) is required and notarized. A copy of the identification for the name (registrant) listed on the application is required.
  • If two names are listed on the registration application (form H-13B), either party may be present to process the registration. A copy of the identification for all names (registrants) listed on the application is required.


See acceptable forms of identification for vehicle registration purposes for:


Anyone registering a vehicle in the name of an individual must present one of the following unexpired forms of ID:

  • Connecticut Driver's License
  • Connecticut Drive Only License
  • Connecticut Drive Only Learner's Permit
  • Connecticut Learner's Permit
  • Connecticut Non-Driver ID card
  • Out-of State License with Photo
  • Out-of-State Identification Card with Photo
  • Canadian or U.S. Territory License - no International Driving Permit is required
  • U.S. Passport
  • Military ID (active or dependent)
  • Tribal Identification Card from Federally Recognized Tribe (with photo)

Dealer Transactions:
When a vehicle has been sold by a licensed dealer who is processing the registration and title documents for the purchaser, no POA will be required (the dealer representative must present his or her identification).

Business/Company Names:
If the registration is in the name of a corporation, incorporated business, or LLC, a Power of Attorney is required, unless the person signing is the officer of the company or manager/member of the LLC. The personís title must be printed after the signature, (i.e. John Doe, Vice President).

Proof of insurance in the name of the business must be presented at the time of registration.


Verification that the company has filed Articles of Organization with the Secretary of the State (SOS) office showing the manager/member's home and business address. Verification (printout) from the SOS website or a receipted copy of the Articles of Organization are acceptable. Verification may also be in the form of a copy of Income Tax filing (IRS Form 1099). The company name on the registration must be the same as filed with the SOS or appears on the IRS 1099 Form.


A driverís license or non-driver identification card, issued by any state, of the manager/member of the LLC as listed with the SOS or IRS 1099, which must be the person signing the Application for Registration and Title (form H-13B).  If an out of state address is listed the applicant will be required to show the appropriate out of state license.


Leased Vehicles:
The name on the registration must match the name on the leasing license. Identification of the lessee is not required. However a general Power of Attorney form or the DMVís Special Power of Attorney form (form A-83) from the leasing company to the lessee is required.

Note: Individuals or companies using a Dealer Titling Service must submit a Power of Attorney and Identification.

No Identification - Special Review:
If someone does not have any of the required forms of identification, he or she can request an administrative review to determine eligibility to register a vehicle. You must complete and submit A Request for Administrative Review (form B-360). Review process may take up to 30 days.
The review process:
  • Determines whether you are a Connecticut resident and subject to state law regarding residency for registration requirements.
  • Determines a need to register the vehicle in Connecticut.
  • Determines who will operate the vehicle and is properly licensed.



Content Last Modified on 6/5/2019 3:49:31 PM