DMV: Driver's License - Verifying

Obtaining Verification of your Motor Vehicle Operator's License or Registration



If you have moved out of state and have misplaced your license or registration, the Department of Motor Vehicles can provide you with verification so you may apply for a license or registration in the state where you now reside.  Connecticut cannot require another state to honor this document.

These documents are issued only to verify that you held a valid license and/or registration in the State of Connecticut and are not intended to be used in lieu of a valid license and/or registration. 

Inquiries must be made on a Copy Records Request Form (form J-23):

  • Fill in section 1 for DRIVER LICENSE FILE or section 2 and/or 3 for REGISTRATION FILE INFORMATION.
  • Complete the "requester" section at bottom of the form, clearly print this information.  You must also include your out of state address and telephone number, including area code.
  • Submit a check or money order made payable to "DMV" with the fee(s) noted on the Copy Records Request form.
  • Submit copies of two forms of identification from the requestor. (One form must be photo identification and the other form also needs to identify the requestor; see page 2 of the Copy Records Request Form)
  • Mail completed form, documents and fee(s) to:

Department of Motor Vehicles

Copy Records Unit

60 State Street

Wethersfield, CT  06161


This request will take approximately seven to ten business days to process.


Content Last Modified on 7/29/2015 9:29:48 AM