DEEP: Bypass Reporting

Municipal Bypass Reporting

The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) oversees required Municipal bypass reporting.  This page provides forms for municipalities who are required to report to DEEP.  For public information, please see Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) Right to Know Information.

Connecticut General Statutes (CGS) Section 22a-427 prohibits pollution or discharge of wastes. No person or municipality shall cause pollution of any of the waters of the state or maintain a discharge of any treated or untreated wastes in violation of any provision of this chapter.

Training for authorized reporters began in June 2016 and will continue through the summer and fall.

Authorized Electronic Reporters

Authorized Reporter Application (Word Form) (PDF)  

Authorized Reporter Application and Sewage Right to Know FAQs

Authorized Electronic Report Forms

You must have completed the Authorized Reporter Application and been assigned a user name and password to utilize the following links:

Forms for Reporting Non-Electronically

Section 22a-430-3(k)(4) of the RCSA requires permittees to notify the DEEP Bureau of Water Protection and Land Reuse within 2 hours of becoming aware of a bypass event at (860) 424-3704 during normal business hours and the DEEPís Emergency Spill Response Unit at (860) 424-3338 at all other times. It is important to remember that when making these verbal notifications that you must speak to a DEEP official. It is unacceptable to leave a voice mail message.

This requirement remains in effect until you have been notified by DEEP to start reporting electronically.

Guidance Memo

Effluent Non-Compliance Report Form

Loss of Equipment or Tankage Report Form

Monitoring Equipment Malfunction or Failure Report Form

Bypass Report Form

For additional information regarding the Municipal Wastewater Program, please contact the Municipal Facilities section by e-mail or call us at 860-424-3704.

Content last updated on October 1, 2018