Safe Waterskiing Endorsement
Effective October 1, 2015, to operate a vessel or personal watercraft (i.e. trademarked names jetski, wave runner and sea doo) on Connecticut waters that is towing a skier, tube, or has anyone riding the wake of the vessel, you must:
- Be age 16 or older and
- Have a valid boating certificate from either Connecticut, a state that has a reciprocal agreement with Connecticut, or a U.S. Coast Guard operatorís license and
- Possess a Connecticut Safe Waterskiing Endorsement
Connecticut currently has reciprocity with New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
Persons who have obtained any of the certificates listed in #2 (above) prior to October 1, 2015 have been grandfathered and do not need to obtain the Safe Waterskiing Endorsement.
As of October 1, 2015 all classroom boating courses approved by the Commissioner resulting in a Connecticut boating safety certificate include the information and testing needed to qualify for the Safe Waterskiing Endorsement. Upon successful completion of the classroom course, the Safe Waterskiing Endorsement will print automatically if you are 16 years old or older when the boating certificate is purchased through the Online Sportsmen Licensing System webpage.
Boaters that need to obtain a Safe Waterskiing Endorsement may do so by following the instructions below:
- Obtain your Conservation Identification Number (ID) (This ID is REQUIRED to take the course)
- Take the online Safe Waterskiing Course and examination.
1) Obtain a Conservation Identification Number (ID)
If you have a Connecticut Boating Certificate or Hunting or Fishing License, your Conservation ID will remain the same ID number that was assigned with the boating certificate or hunting or fishing license. There is no fee for getting your ID.
If you need a Conservation ID Number:
- Go to the Online Sportsmen Licensing System.
- You MUST use the "Search by Personal Information". Enter either your drivers license number or social security number to see if you are in the system as having a Conservation ID Number previously issued to you. Follow the instructions.
- If you are not found in the system, select the option at the bottom of the screen that reads "Select Here To Receive Your Conservation ID Only For An Education Course Registration", and complete the registration process. Follow the instructions.
2) Take the online Safe Waterskiing Course and Examination
- Access the Course
- Select the green "Get Started" button.
- Type in the following:
- Connecticut Conservation Identification Number (You must have this prior to starting the course)
- First name, Last Name and Email Address.
- Select the green "Get Started" button again.
- Study the Course
- Pass online Exam (there will be a fee)
- Get your 3 day temporary Safe Waterskiing Endorsement immediately. Within three business days you will be able to print the Safe Waterskiing Endorsement from the Online Sportsmen Licensing System . If you have a Connecticut boating certificate, your endorsement will print on your certificate.
Thank you for being an educated boater!