DEEP: State and Federal Permits

State and Federal Permitting

Certain activities conducted in or around wetlands require review and approval beyond the local wetlands agency. These regulated activities, in addition to receiving a permit or approval by the town wetlands agency, may also need approval from the Commissioner of Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) and/or the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (ACOE).

Activities that require a DEEP Permit are:

  • Construction or Modification of Any Dam - a town wetland permit is not required for dam construction and the associated wetland and watercourse impacts when regulated by the DEEP.
  • Construction and Other Work on the Floodplain -when waterward of state designated stream channel encroachment lines.
  • Construction, Placement of Structures, Filling or Dredging Within Tidal Wetlands or the tidal coastal or navigable waters of the State.
  • Diversion of Water by relocation, dredging or piping of watercourses or withdrawal of surface or groundwater in excess of 50,000 gallons per day.
  • Discharges to the waters of the State, including storm water on a construction site five acres or larger.

Activities that require a ACOE permit are:

  • Discharge of Dredged or Fill Material, dredging or placing structures into the waters of the United States including wetlands.

If an activity requires a permit from the ACOE, a DEEP water quality certificate is also required.

For further information regarding the above DEEP land-use permits, please view the DEEP's permit web page. For further information on federal permits, please call the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at: U.S. ACOE, New England Division, 1-800-343-4789. 



Content last updated on December 15, 2016