DEEP: FAQs-Safe Waterskiing Endorsement

Frequently Asked Questions
Safe Waterskiing Endorsement
Do I need a Safe Waterskiing Endorsement?
If you are going to operate a vessel or a personal watercraft (i.e. jet ski, wave runner, sea doo) on Connecticut waters that is towing a skier, tube, or have anyone riding the wake of the vessel, the operator must:
  • Be age 16 or older,
  • Have a valid boating certificate from Connecticut or a reciprocal state  (Rhode Island, New York, Massachusetts or New Hampshire) or have a valid Coast Guard operatorís license and
  • Possess a Connecticut Safe Waterskiing Endorsement
Those that obtained their certificate or license prior to October 1, 2015, are grandfathered and do not need to get the endorsement.
If you successfully completed a Connecticut boating course leading to certification after October 1, 2015 and you are at least 16 years or older, your endorsement will print on your certificate.
How do I get a Safe Waterskiing Endorsement?
If you need to get a Safe Waterskiing Endorsement, visit to take the online class.
If I am 15 years old or younger and was towing people behind my boat last year, am I allowed to tow again this year?
No, under the safe waterskiing law, you must be at least 16 years old.
If I am 15 years old and the Safe Waterskiing Endorsement does not print on my certificate, what should I do?
When you turn 16 years old you will have to re-print your certificate in the Online Sportsmenís Licensing System. 
If I am from out of state and want to tow a waterskier in Connecticut, what do I need to do?
  • If you received your certificate from a reciprocal state (New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts or New Hampshire) before October 1, 2015, you are grandfathered and do not need to do anything.
  • If you received your certificate from a reciprocal state after October 1, 2015, you must obtain your safe waterskiing endorsement.  Visit to take the online class.
  • If you are from a non-reciprocal state, you will need to take a Connecticut approved boating class or successfully pass the Equivalency Exam.
Content last updated January 2017