DEEP: Notice to Federal Permit Holders

Federal Permit Holders Must Still Send "Did Not Fish" Reports to the Connecticut DEEP Marine Fisheries Division

August 26, 2015

NOAA Fisheries recently revised its reporting requirements for federal permit holders who are required to submit federal Vessel Trip Reports (VTRs). One change has important implications for federally permitted fishermen that also hold a Connecticut commercial fishing or landing license. Since 1995, we have allowed such fishermen to send us the state copies of their VTRs in lieu of the Connecticut Commercial Fisheries Catch Log. We intend to continue this accommodation as a means of reducing paperwork. However, while the new federal rules eliminate the requirement to submit a "did not fish" report to NOAA Fisheries for months in which no fishing activity takes place, that requirement has not been eliminated with regard to your Connecticut catch reporting obligations.

If you do not fish or land in Connecticut in a given month, you are still required to send a "did not fish" (DNF) report to the Connecticut DEEP Marine Fisheries Division for that month. Submit a DNF report to us by mailing a Connecticut Commercial Fisheries Catch Log with the cover filled out as a DNF report and the inside cover signed and dated. You may remove the interior pages if you wish. If you need logbooks for this purpose, please contact the Marine Fisheries Division.

For further information, please contact the DEEP Marine Fisheries Division by email at, by mail at P.O. Box 719, Old Lyme, CT 06371 or by telephone at 860.434.6043 between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.

The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to complying with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Please contact us at (860) 418-5910 or if you: have a disability and need a communication aid or service; have limited proficiency in English and may need information in another language; or if you wish to file an ADA or Title VI discrimination complaint.