DEEP: Connecticut Marine Waters Fishing License: Basic Facts

DEP Marine Fisheries News

CT Marine Waters Fishing License: Basic Facts

June 11, 2009

JUNE 15, 2009*

A Marine Waters Fishing License is required of anyone, age 16 and older, fishing in the Marine District from shore or a private vessel OR landing marine fish in Connecticut taken from outside Connecticut waters. Passengers fishing on a Connecticut registered party or charter fishing vessel are exempt from the Marine Waters Fishing License requirement.

FEE: $10 residents (must have resided in Connecticut at least 1 year) / $15 non-resident. The license is free for resident anglers age 65 and older, but they MUST obtain a license each year. No Combo license with Marine and any other license.

RECIPROCITY: Holders of a marine fishing license issued by the state of New York, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, or Maine may fish in Connecticut with that state's marine fishing license provided that state offers the same privilege to Connecticut Marine Waters Fishing License holders.

New York has a Marine License effective October 1, 2009. Fishing in New York waters: OK with Connecticut Marine Waters Fishing License for "those parts of Long Island Sound lying between New York and Connecticut." The precise boundary line has yet to be defined by NY.

RI does not have a license yet, but their bill has full reciprocal provisions so a Connecticut resident Marine Waters Fishing License holder will be able to fish in RI when they institute a license.

GETTING A LICENSE: Licenses are available now. Simply go to:

DEPís web site

Select "Online Sportsmen Licenses"

Scroll to the bottom of that page and select "START"


DEP Field Offices:
Marine Headquarters (860.434.6043) M-F 8:00 am-4:00 pm
Eastern District (860.295.9523) M-F 8:30 am-4:00 pm
Western District (860.485.0226) M-F 8:30 am-4:00 pm
Franklin WMA (860.642.7239) M-F 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Sessions Woods (860.675.8130) M-F 8:30 am-4:00 pm
DEP Main Office:
79 Elm St, Hartford, License & Revenue (860.424.3105) M-F 9:00 am-4:00 pm
79 Elm St, Hartford, DEP Store (860.424.3555) M-F, 9:00-3:30 pm.


For a list of vendors go to:, select "Permits & Licenses" and then  "Participating Town Halls, designated vendor (tackle shop)".

Revenue from the Marine Fishing License is required by state law to be used only for Fish and Wildlife Conservation Programs.

*The Marine Waters Fishing License bill (HB5875) was passed by the state legislature with an effective date of June 15, 2009, and is being prepared for the Governorís signature. Procedural details could cause a short delay in the bill becoming law.

In conformance with the ADA, individuals with disabilities who need this information in an alternative format to allow them to benefit and/or participate in the agency's programs and services, should call 860.424.3051 or 860.418.5937 or e-mail Marcia Z. Bonitto, ADA Coordinator, at:  Requests for accommodations must be made at least two weeks prior to the program date.