CTCDD: PI&E Meeting 12-19-12

PI&E Meeting 12-19-12

 

Adopted on January 8, 2013

 

CT Council on Developmental Disabilities

Advocacy, Public Information and Education Committee

 

December 19, 2012

4:15 – 5:15

Conference Call

 

Present:  John Curtin, Alicia Kucharczyk (Chair), Brenda Stenglein (Vice-Chair), Jim Rosen

 

Absent:  Zuleika Martinez

 

Staff:  Cathy Adamczyk

 

Call to Order:  Alicia called the meeting to order at 4:18 PM. 

 

Approval of Agenda:  John Curtin moved to accept the agenda, and Brenda Stenglein seconded the motion.  The agenda was approved unanimously.

 

Approval of Minutes from December 5, 2012:  John Curtin moved to accept the minutes of December 5, 2012 and Brenda Stenglein seconded the motion.  The minutes were approved unanimously.

 

Review of Organizations Identified to Meet with in Order to Determine Priority Issues for the Five-Year Plan:    John Curtin will contact Leslie Simoes from the ARC and have information available for the January 8, 2013 Council meeting.  Jim Rosen has connected with the Director of the JCL (Jewish Association for Communal Living).

Brenda has made contacts with the SEPTO Alliance and Success SEPTO, the Northeast Region SEPTO and PATH/Family Voices.  Alicia contacted the ARC of Greater Enfield and Sheila Harris of the CT Family Support Network.  She will also reach out to CPAC.

 

Finalize Outreach Letter:  The Committee decided they need Molly’s expertise to look at the draft outreach letter and offer revisions before being able to finalize it.

 

Schedule of Visits:  Brenda Stenglein has the following visits scheduled:

1.       Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 6:30 at the Bristol Library:  The SEPTO Alliance is sponsoring a presentation featuring “Focus Unplugged”, a panel of self-advocates.  It is anticipated that there will be between 50-100 parents and self-advocates in attendance.

 

2.      Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at the Willington Public Library: Success SEPTO, the Northeast Region SEPTO.

 

 

Next Steps:

1.      John Curtin will contact Leslie Simoes from the ARC and have information available for the January 8, 2013 Council meeting.

2.      Committee members will try to get definite dates to meet with groups, and think of other groups to contact and schedule meetings.

3.      After feedback from Molly Cole, the final draft of the outreach letter will be e-mailed out to Committee members for review.

4.      Committee members will seek out surveys having a similar purpose to what we are trying to achieve; come up with questions for a survey and send them to Alicia. Provide hard-copy surveys for face-to-face meetings and an electronic survey that can be disseminated.

 

Next Meeting:  The APIE Committee will meet on January 8, 2013 at ITBD in New Britain during the regular Council meeting.

 

Adjourn:  John Curtin moved to adjourn and Brenda seconded the motion.  The meeting adjourned at 5:05 PM.

 

 

 

Respectfully submitted by Cathy Adamczyk

 

 

ADOPTED ON JANUARY 8, 2013

 

 



Content Last Modified on 1/11/2013 10:12:34 AM