CTCDD: PI&E Meeting 3-27-12

PI&E Meeting 3-27-12

 

                                                            FINAL MINUTES

CT Council on Developmental Disabilities

Advocacy, Public Information and Education Committee

March 27, 2012

Conference Call Meeting

Members in Attendance:  Dwayne Paul, Chair; Zuleika Martinez; Monica Smyth; John Curtin; Kathy Wolkner;  Brenda Stenglein; David King; Frank Reed, ex-officio

Absent Members: Jacqueline Jamison; Jennifer Lortie, Vice-Chair

Absent Pending Member:  Alicia Kucharczyk

Guests:   Laura Marcinauskis and Jennifer Throwe, Health Care Task Force

Staff Present:  Cathy Adamczyk, Mary-Ann Langton

A quorum was established, and Mr. Paul called the meeting to order at 5:02 PM

1.  Motion to approve the agenda:  A motion was made to approve the agenda by Mr. Curtin. Ms. Martinez seconded the motion.  The motion carried unanimously. 

 

2.  Approval of the minutes from 3/13/2012:   A motion was made by Ms. Smyth to accept the March 13, 2012 minutes.  The motion was seconded by Mr. Curtin.  The motion carried unanimously, with Ms. Martinez abstaining.

 

3.  Discussion—  Assignments of Responsibility:  Prior to the meeting, Ms. Marcinauskis and Ms. Throwe sent links on emergency preparedness to the APIE Committee and Health Care Task Force members, and Ms. Smyth looked at information from DD Councils in Delaware, Pennsylvania and Oregon.  Ms. Marcinauskis provided a summary of her conversation with Jim McGaughey, Director of the Office of Protection and Advocacy, who is on a statewide panel called the Mass Care Working Group.  He provided information of who to contact in CT and what is being done.  Of major concern is that Governor Malloy hasn’t appointed a person with a disability as a representative on the emergency preparedness task force.  Also, the behavioral health and blind communities are missing from the table.  There is no universal training and no participation of people with disabilities at the legislative levels.  There are many initiatives going on in the state, but it is scattered.  It was agreed that there needs to be coordination and an inventory of what is being done.  Mr. McGaughey thought the idea of doing videos was a good idea.  Currently, there are initiatives being done on video for first responders, but not for people with disabilities and municipalities.   The group decided they need to collaborate with existing groups, and make sure they are not duplicating efforts of things already being done.  As many as possible from the APIE Committee and Health Care Task Force were encouraged to  attend the next Mass Care Working Group.  Crucial stakeholders identified included:

a.      Red Cross

b.      Salvation Army

c.      Visiting Nurses

d.     Municipalities

e.      Police and Fire Departments

f.       State Agencies (like DDS, DCF, DSS…)

g.     Disability Support and Advocacy Groups

 

                 4.  Next Steps:

a.     Ms. Marcinauskis will contact Jim McGaughey to find out if he is aware of any agencies or work groups planning on doing projects similar to what we are discussing in regard to videos, brochures, website information, or registries.

b.     Mr. Paul will contact the Red Cross and Visiting Nurses to see what they are doing.

c.      Ms. Langton will contact towns like East Haven, Manchester and West Haven to see what they did prior to the storms to make things run as smoothly as they did.

d.     Ms. Smyth will contact New Haven Director of Disability Services Michelle Duprey for her input on emergency preparedness.

It was agreed that all information learned would be sent to the members of the APIE Committee and the Health Care Task Force as soon as it is available via e-mail, with the topic identified in the subject line.

5.  Schedule date for next meeting:  The Committee decided they want to have everyone report their findings back within a week and a half, after which time another meeting will be scheduled.   Ms. Adamczyk will get an e-mail out asking for availability to schedule the next meeting prior to the next Council meeting.  

6.  Adjourn:  Mr. Curtin made a motion to adjourn the meeting.  It was seconded by Mr. King.  The motion carried unanimously.  The meeting was adjourned at 6:02 PM.

Respectfully submitted by,

Cathy Adamczyk   

ADOPTED APRIL 17, 2012

                   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Content Last Modified on 4/18/2012 11:55:23 AM