The 174th meeting of the CT Council on Developmental Disabilities was held on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM at the CCSU, ITBD, New Britain.
Presiding: Frank Reed,
Recorder of Minutes: Molly Cole, Director
Members Present: Michelle Johnson, David King, William Knight, Mary Ann Lombardi, Jennifer Lortie, Laura Marcinauskis, Zuleika Martinez, , Peter Morrissette, Sarah Rafala, Frank Reed, Monica Smyth, Brenda Stenglein Jennifer Throwe, Dwayne Paul.
Staff: Molly Cole, Mary Ann Langton, Cathy Adamczyk
Guests: Alicia Kucharczyk, Pending appointee from BRS; Rhonda Kempton, Pending appointee from SDE;
In the absence of the quorum, two agenda items that did not require a vote or Council action were completed:
Mission Moment: Laura Marcinauskis talked about her family’s journey with her daughter through services and supports to address her disability and health needs. Laura stated that it is because of these challenges that she decided to join the Council and assist other people.
Executive Director Report: Molly Cole reviewed the Executive Director report. One item required Council approval and was addressed after a quorum was established.
A quorum was established at 10:32 and Mr. Reed called the meeting to order.
1.*Approval of Agenda: Monica Smyth moved to amend the agenda to reflect the two agenda items that were presented prior to a full quorum and to add an Executive Session which would include the Executive Director, following approval of minutes, to discuss a personnel issue regarding a Council member. Bill Knight seconded. Maryann Lombardi abstained, and the motion carried unanimously.
2. *Approval of Minutes of 1-10-2012: Mr. Paul noted that he did participate by phone. Maryann Lombardi offered an amendment to the minutes regarding a motion made by Mr. Sullivan. Mr. Knight moved to approve the minutes and Ms. Smyth seconded. Sarah Rafala abstained. The motion carried unanimously.
4. *Adjourn to Executive Session: Mr. Knight moved to adjourn to Executive Session to discuss a personnel issue pertaining to a Council member. Ms. Smyth seconded. Ms. Lombardi abstained and the motion carried unanimously. The council adjourned to Executive session at 10:40 A.M. The Council resumed its public meeting at 11:18.
5. *Motion to consider an action outside of the by-laws: Michelle Johnson moved that the Council should consider a motion outside the scope of the by-laws. Mr. Knight seconded. The motion carried unanimously.
6. *Motion to send a letter to Governor Malloy regarding removal of a Council member. Mr. Paul moved that the Council send a letter to Governor Malloy requesting removal of a Council member. Mr. Knight seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
7. *Motion regarding Executive Director’s request for funding to support a temporary position at the Council. During the executive Director’s report Mrs. Cole requested an appropriation of $10,000 to support a four month temporary clerical position at the Council. This staff person would be responsible for preparing files for storage at the CT State Library using the state approved record retention system, organizing all files so that information can be easily located, and ensuring that all files on the DDC website are complete and easily accessed. Mrs. Cole believes that this task can be completed within four months. Ms. Smyth moved to allocated $10,000 for the temporary position and Ms. Martinez seconded. The motion carried unanimously.
8. Work Groups. The Council adjourned to three work groups on Employment, Health and Housing, from 11:40 to 1:00.
9. Report from Work Groups:
*Employment: The work group is proceeding with year one of a two year Council initiated project to implement Project SEARCH in CT. This proposal was sent to Proposal Review, but PRC did not take action. Mr. Paul moved to allocate $80,000 for the Employment initiative through an allocation of $20,000 in year one and $60,000 in year two. Mr. Knight seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
Health: This work group is not prepared to make a request from the council because they are awaiting cost figures. They plan to address emergency preparedness through a three pronged approach that will engage first responders, town officials and consumers. This project includes a video for all three audiences and RFP’s to towns to apply for funding to improve emergency preparedness for people with disabilities in their town. Each grantee will prepare a brochure, a registry and develop a plan as well as document the cost and process to document the plan.
*Housing: The Housing work group provided an outline for an RFP from the Council. This will include an allocation of $50,000 to create a booklet on housing options which will be loose leaf for easy updates; Development of a training module for an array of audiences on inclusive, accessible, affordable housing; Creation of a statewide task force to examine policy and make recommendations regarding housing; Address visitability and home design for people with disabilities. Ms. Smyth moved to approve $50,000 for an RFP for accessible housing; Ms Rafala Seconded. The motion carried unanimously.
7. Committee Reports: Each Committee reported as follows:
- By Law Special Committee: Ms Lombardi reviewed the suggested changes in the by-laws and some additions and corrections were made. A revision will be sent for a second review of by-laws amendments at the May meeting.
- Membership: Ms Johnson read the report of the Membership Committee. Current membership will be at 25 with two appointments that are currently pending. Four additional appointments (two parents and two self advocates) would need to be made to increase the number to 29. There will be an orientation meeting twice a year, with the first set for April 17th.
- APIE. Mr. Paul reported on the APIE activities. APIE will focus its efforts on supporting the work of the three council work groups. Their first focus will be on the Health initiative. This group has been very active and is collaborating with LPP and the work groups. Their next phone meeting wills e March 13th.
- Proposal Review: Ms Smyth reported in the absence of the Chair and Vice Chair of the Committee. The committee has not met.
- Legislative Program and Policy. Mr. Knight reported that the Committee has a new Vice Chair, Zuleika Martinez. They will collaborate with APIE. The committee has supported HB5027 regarding establishing the DD Council, Opposed HB 5016 merging OPA with CHRO, Supported HB5347 regarding increased reporting on the use of seclusion, Supported SB 231 regarding the Katie Beckett Waive and Supported HB 138 to establish a task force to study aging in place. SB 247 regarding Physically Helpless will be up for hearing soon.
8. *Evaluation of the Executive Director: Mr. Knight moved to approve and evaluation process for the Executive Director that would include a survey of Council members and a 360 Evaluation using input from other stakeholders. Ms. Lortie seconded. Mr. Paul abstained. The motion carried unanimously.
9. May Agenda: Include a discussion from our state agency representatives to do a brief presentation on ways that they support people with disabilities in their agencies.
10. *Adjournment: Mr. Paul moved to adjourn and Mr. Knight seconded the motion. The Council adjourned at 2:05 PM.
Minutes Submitted by
*Notes an action requiring a vote.