In Your Home
There are many actions you can take inside the your home, yard and garden and the garage to protect the environment, save money and create a cleaner healthier space for everyone.
|Inside your home|
||Everyone has to clean sometime! Check out some healthier alternatives to toxic cleaning products and breathe easier in every room of the house.|
|Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
It's easy to practice 3 R's at home
. Learn all about what to recycle, Why it is important to purchase recycled content products, how to reduce the trash you generate and much more!
|What do I do with...?
||Hmm, don't know what to do with all those packing peanuts, unwanted prescription medication or those burned out CFLs? Use this guide to find out how to manage those not-so-common household items in the most environmentally preferable way. Learn more about waste disposal for households.|
|Did you know that CT residents have convenient and free opportunities to recycle their computers, printers, televisions and monitors? Learn more.|
Find more ideas about how to live "green"
- from taking care of your pets to choosing better foods for your health and the environment.
|Lighting, Heating and Cooling
|Building and Remodeling
||Planning a building or renovation project? Consider using green building products and techniques. |
||Learn all about climate change and actions you can take to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.|
|Heating Oil Tanks
||Do you have a home underground heating oil tank? Learn how to deal with leaks and tank removal.|
||Water is a precious resource. Learn about water conservation.|
||Prevent PCB Leakage from your Well Pump|
|In the yard and garden |
|Lawn and Garden
- Have a beautiful, green lawn without the chemicals by using organic lawn care.
- Don't trash grass! Grasscycling - leaving those clippings on the lawn - saves time and helps improve the grass.
- Turn your household food scraps into gold for your lawn and garden. Learn more about composting.
- More people are becoming concerned about the effects of lawn and garden chemicals on children, pets and the environment. Learn about alternatives to toxic chemical for the garden.
- Pesticides and Lawn Care
- Learn more about plants that are endangered or invasive. Learn how to choose plants for your yard and garden that are native to our area.
Integrated pest management (IPM) is a way of managing pests using non-chemical methods and the judicious use of pesticides when pest populations exceed acceptable levels. Learn more about IPM
|In the garage |
||Protect our water supply and keep our air cleaner. Purchase a spill-proof gas can which can reduce harmful emissions by up to 75%.|