In accordance with Connecticut State Statutes and Laws, as well as DCF policies, DCF provides services to every child, youth, adolescent and family in need of services, regardless of their inherent or perceived sexuality and/or Gender Identity or Expression. DCF also actively recruits LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) foster and adoptive parents and mentors.
NEW LINK!: TurningPointCT.org This unique website was
developed by Connecticut teens and young adults in recovery from mental illness
and addiction, to serve as a resource guiding young people in their search for
mental wellness. The website provides peer support, advice, and resources
through a question & answer guide, videos, personal stories, and more.
Services for LGBT People with Disabilities
- American Psychological Association "Answers to Your Questions About Transgender Individuals and Gender Identity" www.apa.org/topics/transgender.html
- GUPPE Clinic: CT Children’s Medical Center: Matt Malouf, Ph.D. 860.837.6220
- Gender Spectrum is an organization dedicated to the education and support of families raising gender variant, gender non-conforming, gender-fluid, crossgender, and transgender children and adolescents. www.genderspectrum.org/
- PFLAG, Hartford. Meets the 3rd Wednesday of the month at 7:30 PM at Immanuel Church, 10 Woodland Street, Hartford, CT. Includes a support network for parents of trans* youth
- Translation: A trans-youth only support/social group for youth 14 – 17; and art group for gender non- conforming children under 11; and a parent support group. Meets in New Haven. Contact information: Tony @ 203.376.8089 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- TransYouth Family Alliance: TYFA empowers children and families by partnering with educators, service providers and communities to develop supportive environments in which gender may be expressed and respected. We envision a society free of suicide and violence in which ALL children are respected and celebrated. www.imatyfa.org/
- WPATH: The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH), formerly known as the (Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association, HBIGDA), is a professional organization devoted to the understanding and treatment of gender identity disorders. www.wpath.org/
Youth of Color
Content Last Modified on 4/8/2015 10:08:29 AM