Immediate response to gas leaks is essential to ensure that public safety is maintained. Do not delay. Do not ignore gas odors. Using the guidelines below can help you deal with any potential gas leaks. Call your propane company or 911 for help. See:
Propane gas has no odor. Propane companies add a harmless chemical called mercaptan to give it its distinctive ďrotten eggĒ smell. All propane pipeline gas in Connecticut is odorized.
If you smell gas near an appliance , it may be just a pilot light that has gone out or a burner valve that is open slightly. If you find this problem and can fix it, the problem may be solved.
If you smell gas inside:
Go to a phone that is not near the smell and call your propane company right away. (If the smell is strong or you are unsure, leave the building and then call.) They will come and make the area safe at no charge to you. While waiting for the propane company field service representative:
- Keep everyone away from the area of the odor.
- Don't smoke or strike any matches.
- Donít light any candles.
- Don't flip light switches on or off.
- Don't use a telephone.
- Donít use any electrical equipment or lights that might create a spark in the area of the odor.
- Donít use the doorbell.
- Donít adjust thermostats or appliance controls.
- Donít use elevators.
- Put out all open flames.
If the odor is strong, leave the premises immediately and tell others to leave. Then, call your propane company from a neighbor's home.
Outside gas odors should be reported right away - do not try to locate the source yourself. If you smell or hear escaping gas:
- Donít position or operate vehicles or powered equipment where leaking gas may be present.
If you hear the sound of escaping gas, follow these steps:
- Telephone your propane company immediately from a neighbor's phone.
- Don't go back inside your home or building until your propane company says it is safe.
- Keep others away from the area.
Your propane company provides 24-hour emergency service every day of the year to provide immediate response to emergencies such as propane gas leaks.
NEVER turn the gas back on once it has been shut off due to a safety concern. Call your propane company for assistance.
All repairs to gas lines on your premises must be made in accordance with local regulations, by a licensed plumber where required or by your propane company.
Gas Pipeline Safety
Content last updated March 2015