PURA: Frequently Asked Questions

Consumer Services - Frequently Asked Questions

I have heard that I can now change electric companies. Can I do this?
Yes, you do have the option of changing electric companies. Shop for another electric supplier.

What is the Winter Moratorium?
The Winter Moratorium is the time period from November 1 through May 1 when customers who are deemed a "hardship case" (because of income or illness) can not have their utility service terminated if they lack the financial ability to pay their entire bill for gas or electric service. The customer is required to apply to the company with proof of hardship, at which time if the requirements are met the customer's account is put into protected status.

What are the rules for shutoffs of gas, electric, water and telephone service?
See the Department's regulations on termination of service.

How do I get my name on the Do Not Call List (for telephone solicitation)?
You can get your name on the list through the National Do Not Call Registry.

Where can I find more information on the transition of video broadcast signals from analog to digital?
The FCC mandated June 12, 2009 as the last date that analog broadcast signals would be available. The Federal Communications Commission has set up the following website to help consumers better understand the digital television transition: www.dtv.gov

Where can I get copies of annual reports for Connecticut based utility companies?
Most annual reports can be viewed here.  Alternatively, PURA can provide you with a copy of the annual report of any Connecticut utility company or competitive telecommunications carrier for a copying fee of $.25 per page. Call 1-800-382-4586 to order.

Where can I get information on docket #XX-XX-XX?
You can access pending or recently decided cases in the PURA active docket database.  You can access older dockets in the PURA inactive docket database.

If you need assistance in locating documents on the web, or that are not available electronically, call the Executive Secretary's Office, 860-827-1553.

How can I get a copy of the transcripts for docket #XX-XX-XX?
Transcripts are available through a Freedom of Information Act request and on the PURA web after 15 days from the time the final decision is signed. They are also available through United Reporters (1-866-534-3383).

What is slamming?
Slamming is the unauthorized illegal switch of a customerís utility service.  Specifically, slamming can involve the unauthorized switch of a customerís competitive electric generation service or their local or long distance telephone service.

If you believe your electric generation service or your telephone service has been switched without your consent or authorization, you may contact the PURA to file a complaint (1-800-382-4586) or file a complaint using the online complaint form.

For more information on slamming as it relates to electric generation service, follow this link: www.ctenergyinfo.com/dpuc_electric_deregulation_101.htm.  To obtain more information regarding slamming as it relates to telephone service, contact the Federal Communications Commission

Content last updated August 2012