OPA: Disability Resource Directory

If you would like to request a free copy of this booklet,
please contact us at:

INTRODUCTION - The Office of Protection and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities (P&A) created the Disability Resource Directory in an effort to navigate an overwhelming service delivery system. The directory brings together a variety of resources for individuals with disabilities, their families and providers.  If you have information about disability related services in Connecticut that are missing from this Directory or find information that needs updating, please contact P&A’s webmaster, Barbara Roy at (800) 842-7303 ext. 4307 or via email Barbara.Roy@ct.gov
OFFICE OF PROTECTION AND ADVOCACY FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES (P&A) is an independent State agency created to safeguard and advance the civil and human rights of people with disabilities in Connecticut by providing information, referral, consultation, organizing assistance to local groups, and various types and levels of advocacy assistance. Part of a nationwide network of protection and advocacy systems, P&A operates under both State and federal legislative mandates to: provide information, referral, and advocacy services; pursue legal and administrative remedies on behalf of people with disabilities who experience disability-related discrimination; conduct investigations into complaints from people with disabilities; and investigate allegations of abuse and neglect of adults who have intellectual disability (ages 18-59). The agency also provides public education and training and informs policymakers about issues affecting people with disabilities.  The Office of Protection and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities is located at 60-B Weston Street, Hartford, CT 06120.  Telephone: (860) 297-4300 (Voice); (860) 297-4380 (TTY) or (800) 842-7303 (Toll-Free in CT, Voice/TTY). www.ct.gov/opapd  e-mail: OPA-Information@ct.gov
State Agencies and Bureaus
COMMISSION ON HUMAN RIGHTS AND OPPORTUNITIES (CHRO) is Connecticut’s chief civil rights law enforcement agency. CHRO receives and investigates complaints alleging discrimination in employment, housing, public accommodations and credit transactions. Where a violation is found, the CHRO will attempt to negotiate appropriate relief or bring the issues to a hearing. In most cases, complaints must be filed within 180 days of the alleged act of discrimination. All housing complaints are filed at CHRO’S Central Office. CHRO’s Central Office is located at: 450 Columbus Blvd., Hartford, CT 06106. Telephone: (860) 541-3400 (Voice); (860) 541-3459 (TTY); (800) 477-5737 (Toll-Free in CT, Voice/TTY).  www.ct.gov/chro 
CHRO Regional Office Locations:
Capitol Region:
999 Asylum Avenue, Second Floor - Hartford, CT 06105;
Telephone: (860) 566-7710 (Voice/TTY)
Eastern Region:
100 Broadway - Norwich, CT 06360
Telephone: (860) 886-5703 (Voice) or (860) 886-5707 (TTY)
Southwest Region:
350 Fairfield Ave., 6th Floor – Bridgeport, CT 06604
Telephone: (203) 579-6246 (Voice/TTY)
West Central Region:
Rowland State Government Ctr., 55 West Main St., Suite 210, Waterbury, CT 06702
Telephone: (203) 805-6530 (Voice); (203) 805-6579 (TTY)
is a governor-appointed body of people with disabilities, family members, and professionals who work together to promote full inclusion of all people with disabilities in community life. The Council on Developmental Disabilities is located at: 460 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT, 06106. Telephone: (860) 418-6160 (Voice); (860) 418-6172 (TTY); (800) 653-1134 (Toll-free in CT/Voice).  www.ct.gov/ctcdd
CONNECTICUT JUDICIAL BRANCH is committed to providing people with disabilities equal access to its facilities, proceedings, programs and materials, consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). In compliance with the ADA, the Judicial Branch will make reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities when requested to do so. These accommodations may include providing equipment and services such as assistive listening devices, sign language interpreters or printed material in alternate formats. The ADA does not require the Judicial Branch to provide services or devices of a personal nature, such as wheelchairs or other mobility devices, legal representation, secretarial services, transportation, or to take any action that would fundamentally alter the nature of its programs or service or impose an undue financial or administrative burden.
In order to best serve the public, the Judicial Branch has, at each of its facilities, a contact person who can assist individuals with disabilities by answering specific questions about access to services and by processing requests for accommodations. The contact person for each court house can be found on the Judicial Branch www.jud.ct.gov/ada/contact.htm
DEPARTMENT ON AGING ensures that Connecticut’s elders have access to the supportive services necessary to live as independently as possible, with respect and dignity.  The Department of Aging is located at: 55 Farmington Ave., Hartford, CT 06105. Telephone: (860) 424-5200 (Voice).  www.ct.gov/agingservices

Programs of the Department of Aging
Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRC), also known as Community Choices, are located around the state and provide numerous services such as CHOICES, benefit screening and short term case management. To find a location in your area, call (800) 994-9422 (Toll-Free Voice).
Connecticut Respite Care Program offers respite services, information and support for families dealing Alzheimer’s disease and/or other related dementias. Phone: (800) 994-9422 (Toll-Free Voice).
Long Term Care Ombudsman provides advocacy for individuals in skilled nursing facilities, residential care homes and assisted living facilities. Telephone (866) 388-1888 (Toll-Free Voice).
DEPARTMENT OF BANKING (DOB) regulates financial institutions and related entities. In addition they can provide assistance to tenants who have questions about or are having difficulty with the return of security deposits.  The Department of Banking is located at: 260 Constitution Plaza, Hartford, CT 06103.  Telephone: (860) 240-8299 (Voice); (800) 831-7225 (Toll-free Voice).  www.ct.gov/dob 
DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILIES (DCF) focuses on working with families and communities to improve child safety, to ensure that more children have permanent families, and to advance the overall well-being of children. To report abuse or neglect call the DCF Hot Line at: (800) 842-2288 (Toll-Free in CT, Voice); (800) 624-5518 (Toll-Free in CT, TTY). www.ct.gov/dcf
Department of Children and Families - Regional Office Locations
Bridgeport Office
100 Fairfield Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Telephone: (203) 384-5300 (Voice)
 (203) 384-5399 (TTY)
Central Office
505 Hudson Street
Hartford, CT  06106
Telephone: (860) 550-6300 (Voice)
Central Office Satellite
(in Meriden)
One West Main Street
Meriden, CT  06451
Telephone: (203) 238-8400 (Voice)
 Danbury Office
131 West Street
Danbury, CT 06810
Telephone: (203) 207-5100 (Voice)
 (203) 748-8325 (TTY)
Hartford Office
250 Hamilton Street
Hartford, CT 06106
Telephone: (860) 418-8000 (Voice)
 (800) 315-4082 (Toll-Free TTY)
 (860) 418-8366 (TTY)
Manchester Office
364 West Middle Turnpike
Manchester, CT 06040
Telephone: (860) 533-3600 (Voice)
 (800) 315-4415 (Toll-Free TTY)
 (860) 533-3896 (TTY)
Middletown Office
2081 South Main Street
Middletown, CT 06457
Telephone: (860) 638-2100 (Voice)
 (860) 638-2195 (TTY)
Milford Office
38 Wellington Road
Milford, CT  06461
Telephone: (203) 306-5300 (Voice)
(203) 306-5604 (TTY)
New Britain Office
One Grove Street, 4th Floor
New Britain, CT 06053
Telephone: (860) 832-5200 (Voice)
(860) 832-5370 (TTY)
New Haven Office
One Long Wharf Drive
New Haven, CT 06511
Telephone: (203) 786-0500 (Voice)
(203) 786-2599 (TTY)
Norwalk Office
149 Water Street
2nd Floor
Norwalk, CT  06854
Telephone: (203) 899-1400 (Voice)
(203) 899-1491 (TTY)
Norwich Office
2 Courthouse Square
Norwich, CT 06360
Telephone: (860) 886-2641 (Voice)
(860) 885-2438 (TTY)
Torrington Office
62 Commercial Boulevard
Torrington, CT 06790
Telephone: (860) 496-5700 (Voice)
(860) 496-5798 (TTY)
Waterbury Office
395 West Main Street
Waterbury, CT 06702
Telephone: (203) 759-7000 (Voice)
(203) 465-7329 (TTY)
Willimantic Office
322 Main Street
Willimantic, CT 06226
Telephone: (860) 450-2000 (Voice)
(860) 456-6603 (TTY)
DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER PROTECTION (DCP) was designed to license, monitor and regulate a variety of jobs, services and businesses throughout the state. They also investigate consumer complaints related to those services and businesses. DCP is the agency responsible for issuing registration certificates for the Medical Marijuana Program. They are located at 165 Capitol Ave., Hartford, CT 06106. Telephone: (860) 713-6100 (Voice); (800) 842-2649 (Toll Free in CT, Voice).  www.ct.gov/dcp

DEPARTMENT OF DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES (DDS) (formerly Department of Mental Retardation) coordinates and oversees services for people of all ages with intellectual disability and persons medically diagnosed as having Prader-Willi Syndrome.  These include: comprehensive case management services; autism services; community-based residential programs; supported living for people in their own residences, job training and supported employment, respite and other family support, and rehabilitative day programs. All services are subject to the availability of resources and may require a waiting period. Services and referrals to community resources are available through three regions. 
DDS’s Central Office is located at 460 Capitol Avenue – Hartford, CT 06106. Telephone: (860) 418-6000 (Voice); (860) 418-6079 (TTY); (866) 737-0330 (Toll-Free, Voice/TTY). www.ct.gov/dds 
Department of Developmental Services Regional Office Locations
West Region
55 West Main Street
Waterbury, CT 06702
(866) 274-3888 (Toll-free/Voice); (203) 805-7400 (Voice)
e-mail: ddsct.west@ct.gov
North Region
155 Founders Plaza
255 Pitkin Street
East Hartford, CT 06108;
(800) 558-9527 (Voice, Toll-free in CT); (860) 263-2500 (Voice)
(860) 263-2510 (TTY)
e-mail: ddsct.north@ct.gov
South Region
35 Thorpe Avenue
3rd Floor
Wallingford, CT 06492;
(203) 294-5049 (Voice); (888) 263-4445 (Toll-Free in CT, Voice/TTY)
(203) 294-4475 (TTY)
e-mail: ddsct.south@ct.gov
Independent Office of the Ombudsperson for Developmental Services works on behalf of consumers of DDS’ services and their families.  The Office addresses complaints or problems regarding access to services or equity in treatment.  The Office of the Ombudsperson is located at: 460 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT 06106. Telephone: (860) 418-6047 (Voice); (866) 737-0331 (Toll-Free Voice/TTY). www.ct.gov/dds/cwp/view.asp?a=2052&q=328222&ddsNav =|   
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION, Bureau of Special Education and Pupil Services has a number of responsibilities, including the investigation of complaints which allege that a school system has violated the requirements of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (I.D.E.A.) and/or Connecticut state statutes. You can file a complaint by calling or writing to the Connecticut State Department of Education, Bureau of Special Education and Pupil Services.  The Department of Education is located at: State Office Building, 165 Capitol Avenue, P. O. Box 2219, Hartford, CT 06145. Telephone: (860) 713-6543 (Voice). www.sde.ct.gov/sde/
DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION (DEEP) is responsible for conserving, improving and protecting the natural resources and environment as well as regulating utility companies.
State Parks are located throughout Connecticut and offer a number of different recreational opportunities for persons with disabilities.  Accessibility information can be found at:
Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA) - (formerly DPUC) is statutorily charged with regulating to varying degrees the rates and services of Connecticut's investor owned, electricity, natural gas, water, and telecommunication companies and is the franchising authority for the state’s cable television companies. The Customer Service Unit at PURA provides consumers with courteous, timely and high quality responses to their complaints and questions and equips them with the tools necessary to make informed choices in competitive utility markets, while protecting them from fraudulent, abusive, and deceptive practices. Public Utilities Regulatory Authority, Ten Franklin Square, New Britain, CT 06051. Telephone: (800) 382-4586 (Toll-Free); (860) 827-2837 (TTY); Cell phone inquiries and Complaints (866) 381-2355 (Toll-Free Voice)  www.ct.gov/pura/
DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING (DOH) was recently established to centralize housing supports and initiatives within Connecticut. The agency administers many programs, such as the Rental Assistance Program (RAP), Security Deposit Guarantee Program and the Section 8 Voucher Program. They are located at: 505 Hudson St., Hartford, CT 06106. Telephone (860) 270-8262 (Voice). www.ct.gov/doh
DEPARTMENT OF LABOR (DOL) provides protection to workers on the job by enforcing statutes relating to payment of wages, health and safety, employment of minors, family and medical leave, representation by labor organizations and resolution of labor disputes. The Research Office monitors the state’s economy and its impact on the work force. Publications regarding the labor market, worker protection and other employment-related information are available to the public.  The Department of Labor’s Central Office is located at: 200 Folly Brook Boulevard, Wethersfield, CT 06109. Telephone: (860) 263-6000 (Voice); (860) 263-6074 (TTY).  www.ctdol.state.ct.us.
Programs of the Department of Labor
Unemployment Insurance, a joint federal/state program providing benefits for eligible workers who qualify under Connecticut law. Unemployment insurance does not cover all cases, and benefits are paid only when certain legal conditions are met.

The American Job Centers system is a partnership of organizations working as a team to promote a universal approach to providing effective workforce assistance to job seekers and businesses. This collaboration of state, regional and local organizations is designed to provide a seamless delivery system of programs and services.


Services provided are:  Employer Recruitment, Job Searching Assistance, Resume Preparation, Free Career Related Workshops, and Information on Tax Credits.  For more information:


4 Fourth St.
Ansonia, CT 06401
Telephone: (203) 397-6647 (Voice)
2 Lafayette Square
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Telephone: (203) 333-5129 (Voice)
4 Liberty Street
Danbury, CT 06810
Telephone: (203) 730-0451 (Voice)
95 Westcott Road
Danielson, CT 06239
Telephone: (860) 412-7000 (Voice)
(860) 412-7034 (TTY)
101 Elizabeth Street, 3rd Floor
Derby, CT   06418
Telephone (203) 734-3443 (Voice)
786 Enfield Street
Enfield, CT 06082
Telephone: (860) 745-8097 (Voice)
(860) 899-3560 (TTY)
37 Marne Street
Hamden, CT 06514
Telephone: (203) 859-3200 (Voice)
(203) 859-3313 (TTY)
3580 Main Street
Hartford, CT 06120
Telephone: (860) 256-3700 (Voice)
(860) 256-3514 (TTY)
893 Main Street
Manchester, CT  06040
Telephone: (860) 643-2222
85 West Main Street
Meriden, CT 06451
Telephone: (203) 238-6148 (Voice)
(203) 238-6145 (TTY)
260 Lafayette Street
New Britain, CT 06053
Telephone: (860) 827-6200 (Voice)
(860) 827-6246 (TTY)
560 Ella T. Grasso Blvd.
New Haven, CT  06519
Telephone:  (203) 623-1493
Shaw's Cove Six
New London, CT 06320
Telephone: (860) 439-7400 (Voice)
(860) 439-7414 (TTY)
113 Salem Turnpike
North Building, Suite 200
Norwich, CT 06360
Telephone:  (860) 859-5777 (Voice)
(860) 859-5613 (TTY)
141 Franklin St. 2nd Floor
Stamford, CT  06091
Telephone: (203) 353-1702
K-MART Shopping Plaza
685 Main Street
Torrington, CT 06790
Telephone: (860) 496-3300 (Voice)
(860) 496-3355 (TTY)
249 Thomaston Avenue
Waterbury, CT 06702
Telephone: (203) 437-3380 (Voice)
 (203) 437-3394 (TTY)
1320 Main Street (Tyler Square)
Willimantic, CT 06226
Telephone: (860) 786-6200 (Voice)
(860) 286-6211 (TTY)

DEPARTMENT OF MENTAL HEALTH AND ADDICTION SERVICES (DMHAS) works to improve the quality of life of the people in Connecticut by providing an integrated network of comprehensive, effective and efficient mental health and addiction services that foster self-sufficiency, dignity and respect.
DMHAS promotes and administers comprehensive, recovery-oriented services in the areas of mental health treatment and substance abuse prevention and treatment throughout Connecticut.
While the Department’s prevention services are available to all Connecticut citizens, its mandate is to serve adults (over 18 years of age) with psychiatric or substance use disorders, or both, who lack the financial means to obtain such services on their own.  DMHAS also provides collaborative programs for individuals with special needs, such as: persons with HIV/AIDS infection, people in the criminal justice system, those with problem gambling disorders, pregnant women with substance abuse problems, persons with traumatic brain injury or hearing impairment, those with co-occurring substance abuse and mental illness, and adolescents transitioning out of the Department of Children and Families.
DMHAS operates on the belief that most people with mental illnesses and/or substance use disorders can and should be treated in community settings, and that inpatient treatment should be used only when absolutely necessary to meet the best interests of the individual.  Effective care requires that services such as residential, supportive, rehabilitative and crisis intervention programs are available within their local communities.
DMHAS’ Central Office is located at: 410 Capitol Avenue, P.O. Box 341431, Hartford, CT 06134. Telephone: (860) 418-7000 (Voice); (860) 418-6707 (TTY). www.ct.gov/dmhas
processes HANDICAPPED PARKING PERMIT applications (temporary and permanent). There is a $5.00 application fee for temporary permits. A permanent handicapped parking permit is valid for the same duration as your license or identification card; temporary permits are valid for no more than six months. Your physician must certify on the application form that your disability or medical condition qualifies you to receive a permit. To obtain an application form, call the Department of Motor Vehicles Office at: (860) 263-5700 (Voice): (800) 842-8222 (Toll-Free in CT) or go to the Motor Vehicles Office nearest you. www.ct.gov/dmv
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH (DPH) at 410 Capitol Ave., Hartford, CT 06134 protects the health and safety of the people of Connecticut and actively works to prevent disease and promote wellness through education and programs such as prenatal care, immunizations, AIDS awareness, supplemental foods, and cancer (mammography) screening. DPH also monitors infectious diseases, and environmental and occupational health hazards; regulates health care providers such as health facilities, health professionals, and emergency medical services; provides testing and monitoring support through the state laboratory; collects and analyzes health data to help plan policy for the future; and is the repository for all birth, marriage and death certificates.  Telephone: (860) 509-8000 (Voice); (860) 899-1611 (Video Phone). www.ct.gov/dph
Programs of the Department of Public Health
Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs  (CYSHCN) is a statewide program for children with chronic illness or disability. The program partners with community-based services to provide care coordination; resource linkages to support groups; agencies and other helpful services; educational support and respite funding when available. The CYSHCN program can pay for medical services. For information, call Child Development Infoline at: (800) 505-7000 (Toll-free). www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=3138&Q=387702&PM=1
Complaints against health care providers (doctors, nurses, chiropractors, etc.) and facilities (hospitals, nursing homes, home health care agencies, laboratories) are investigated by DPH.
For information about filing a complaint against a health care practitioner or the complaint process, call: (800) 842-0038 (Toll-free). Complaints against licensed health care practitioners are made by submitting the complaint form available at:
www.ct.gov/dph/lib/dph/practitioner_licensing_and_investigations/plis/inv/petition_form.pdf .
For information about filing a complaint against a health care facility or the complaint process, call (860) 509-7400 (Voice). Complaints against licensed health care facilities are made in writing and should be sent to: Facility Licensing and Investigations Section, DPH, 410 Capitol Ave., MS#12 HSR, Hartford, CT 06134-0308
DPH also maintains the Medicare Home Health Hotline for complaints specifically about home health services. These complaints are made by calling: (800) 828-9769 (Toll-free).
Department of Rehabilitation Services (DORS) oversees the following programs:
Bureau of Education and Services for the Blind (BESB) provides comprehensive, confidential services for persons of all ages who are legally blind. A person is legally blind if central visual acuity does not exceed 20/200 in the better eye with correcting lenses or if the visual field is restricted to an angle of 20 degrees or less. Services include: counseling and referral; preschool, elementary, secondary education; vocational rehabilitation; rehabilitation teaching; orientation and mobility instruction; small business enterprise; technology evaluation and training on adaptive equipment; employment options within an industrial setting; industries and sales; support groups; confidential registry of persons who are blind; prevention; consultation; and public education.  BESB is located at: 184 Windsor Avenue, Windsor, CT 06095 Telephone: (800) 842-4510 (Toll-Free, Voice/TTY); (860) 602-4000 (Voice); (860) 602-4221 (TTY). www.ct.gov/besb
Connect-Ability brings employers together with individuals who have disabilities.  The aim is to remove barriers and teach employers that employees with disabilities can join the work force and succeed.  Telephone: (866) 844-1903 (Toll-Free Voice). www.connect-ability.com
Connecticut Tech Act Project is a program whose goal is to assure that all citizens with disabilities have access to necessary assistive technology. This is accomplished through public awareness, systems change activities, training, advocacy, and services to individuals. Telephone: (800) 842-4524 (Toll Free Voice); (860) 424-4881 (Voice); (860) 424-4839 (TTY). www.cttechact.com
Disability Determination Services Unit is responsible for deciding eligibility for the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI) programs. These programs provide cash benefits to individuals who are unable to maintain employment due to the severity of their disabilities.  Telephone: (800) 842-8320 (Toll-Free Voice).
MED-Connect provides medical assistance to employed individuals with disabilities.  Total income from work and other benefits must be below $75,000 per year.  Some individuals may pay a monthly premium for this coverage.  In general an eligible person with a disability, who is employed or becomes employed, can qualify for MED-Connect without the use of spend down while earning more income than is allowed under other Medicaid coverage groups. Telephone: (866) 844-1903 (Toll-Free Voice). www.ct.gov/med
Bureau of Rehabilitation Services helps individuals with physical and mental disabilities (except blindness), prepare for, obtain, and maintain employment. Information on BRS services is available by contacting the BRS central office at: (860) 424-4844 (Voice); (800)-537-2549 (Toll Free Voice); (860) 920-7163 (Video Phone).
The Work Incentive Planning Assistance (WIPA) program enables Social Security Insurance and Social Security Disability Insurance beneficiaries with disabilities to make informed choices about work, and to support working beneficiaries to make a successful transition to self-sufficiency.  Each WIPA project has Community Work Incentives Coordinators who will provide in-depth counseling about benefits and the effect of work on those benefits. Telephone: (800) 773-4636 (Toll-Free Voice). www.ct.gov/brs/cwp/view.asp?a=3890&q=456890

Offices of the Department of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
Central Office
55 Farmington Ave., 12th Floor
Hartford, CT 06106
Telephone: (860) 424-4844
(800) 537-2549 (Toll-Free in CT, Voice)
(860) 920-7163 (Video Phone)
Website: www.ct.gov/dors
Southern Region
New Haven Office
414 Chapel Street, Suite 301,
New Haven, CT 06511
Telephone: (203) 974-3000 (Voice)
Satellite Offices
Middletown:  (860) 704-3070 (Voice)
New London:  (860) 439-7686 (Voice)
Norwich:  (860) 859-5720 (Voice)
Northern Region
Hartford Office
3580 Main Street
Hartford, CT 06120
Telephone: (860) 723-1400 (Voice)
(860) 723-1430 (TTY)
(860) 723-1395 (TTY)
Satellite Offices
East Hartford: (959) 200-4400 (Voice)
Enfield:  (860) 899-3567 (Voice)
Manchester: (860) 647-5960 (Voice)
New Britain:  (860) 612-3569 (Voice)

Western Region
Bridgeport Office
1057 Broad Street
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Telephone:  (203) 551-5500 (Voice)
Satellite Offices
Danbury:  (203) 207-8990 (Voice)
Stamford:  (203) 251-9430 (Voice)
Torrington:  (860) 496-6990 (Voice)
Waterbury:  (203) 578-4550 (Voice)
DORS Directions and Office Locations available at:

DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SERVICES (DSS) serves families and individuals who need assistance in maintaining or achieving their full potential for self-direction, self-reliance, and independent living. The Department of Social Services’ Central Office is located at 55 Farmington Avenue, Hartford, CT 06105. www.ct.gov/dss
Apply for services at the new Centralized Intake by calling (855) 626-6632 (Voice) or (800) 842-4524 (Toll Free TTY/TTY). You can also apply at www.connect.ct.gov
DSS operates many programs in the State of Connecticut including:
Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) Waiver
, a Medicaid Waiver program, provides a range of non-medical, home and community based services, to assist adults who have an acquired brain injury (not a developmental or degenerative disorder) to live in the community.  Adults must be between the ages of 18 and 64 to apply, must be able to participate in the development of a service plan in partnership with a Department of Social Services social worker, or have a Conservator to do so, and must meet all technical, procedural and financial requirements of the Medicaid program, or the Medicaid for Employed Disabled program. An adult deemed eligible for the ABI Waiver, is eligible for all Medicaid covered services.
Adult Services provides home care services to eligible people with disabilities. Social workers coordinate planning and management of services to help clients stay independent in the community. Services include homemaker, housekeeper, chore person, adult companion, day care, and home-delivered meals.  Individuals must meet income and asset eligibility requirements.
Family Support Grant (FSG) provides a monthly subsidy of up to $250 ($3,000 annually) to a parent or other family member who has primary responsibility for a child with a developmental disability (ages 5 through 18) other than an intellectual disability, to assist in meeting the extraordinary expenses of that child. Gross income cannot be greater than 140% of the previous year's median family income for Connecticut. The subsidy can be used for ongoing costs such as medical expenses, special equipment, medical transportation, and special clothing. There are 25 slots statewide for this program. The Department has established a waiting list. Persons interested in having their names added to the list may contact Social Work Services at (860) 424-5388, to obtain a Waiting List Request Form.
Fatherhood Initiative promotes the positive involvement and interaction of fathers with their children with an emphasis on children eligible, or formerly eligible for services funded by the temporary assistance for needy families block grant. For information, contact your local DSS office. www.fatherhoodinitiative.state.ct.us
Food Stamp Program (now known as SNAP) is a federal program designed to give low-income households extra money to purchase food. 
Home and Community-Based Services is a state-funded program that provides non-medical homecare services as part of an overall case plan to assist adults with disabilities, ages 18-64 inclusive, to live in the community. The program also provides these services for a family with a supervising relative who is temporarily incapacitated, unable to manage the household, or has a disability. Program services include: adult day care; adult companion; home delivered meals; case management; assistance with chores; case work; homemaker; temporary foster care; social work; teaching homemaker; and personal emergency response system. Eligibility depends on income levels related to Medicaid, asset levels related to SSI, certification of need by a physician or other appropriate healthcare professional, and a DSS social work assessment.
Homecare helps older persons (65 or older) who are at risk for being institutionalized to obtain the services they need to stay at home.  Services that are available include adult day healthcare, home healthcare, case management, home-delivered meals.  For more information and a functional and financial evaluation, call (800) 445-5394 or (860) 424-4904.  If the adult is found to meet the criteria, a community-based assessment will be performed to determine services needed to remain at home.
Medicaid, also called Title XIX, is a federal program administered by the State of Connecticut, to provide medical coverage for eligible participants. The rules and regulations of the program are extremely complex. Anyone needing help with paying past, current or future medical expenses is encouraged to apply.
Personal Care Assistant (PCA) Waiver is a Medicaid Waiver program that provides personal care assistance services to assist adults with chronic, severe, and permanent disabilities, to live in the community. Adults must be ages 18-64 to apply, must have significant need for hands on assistance with at least two activities of daily living (eating, bathing, dressing, transferring, toileting), must lack family and community supports to meet the need, and must meet all technical, procedural and financial requirements of the Medicaid program, or the Medicaid for Employed Disabled program. Eligible adults must be able to direct their own care and supervise private household employees, or have a Conservator to do so. An adult deemed eligible for the PCA Waiver, is eligible for all Medicaid covered services.
Protective Services for the Elderly provides protective services for people aged 60 and over from abuse, neglect (including self-neglect), and exploitation. Crisis and social work intervention, counseling, safeguarding, advocacy and monitoring are among services provided by social workers after cases are referred by a state ombudsman. There is no income eligibility for initial referral. Contact: (888) 385-4225 (Toll-Free in CT); (800) 203-1234 (Toll Free Out of State).
Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB) and Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary (SLMB) Programs are federal and state funded programs that provide health care coverage and financial assistance by paying the cost of Medicare for eligible Medicare beneficiaries. QMB pays Medicare premiums, deductibles and co-payments to fill the gaps on Medicare coverage by eliminating out of pocket expenses. SLMB program pays the Medicare Part B premium. Both programs are administered by the Department of Social Services.
State Administered General Assistance (SAGA), also called City or Town Welfare, is a financial assistance program for individuals or households who do not have enough income or resources to meet basic living expenses and who cannot get immediate financial help from other government programs. Decision on each case must be made within ten calendar days of the date assistance was requested, and, if the individual or household is found to be eligible, assistance must be given by the eleventh day. Emergencies with food and medical needs must be met on the same day assistance is requested.
State Supplement for the Aged, Blind and Disabled Program can provide monthly benefits to low-income individuals for basic living needs. Individuals may qualify for the State Supplement Program if their income is not enough to meet their basic needs and if they are at least 65 years old; or disabled and ages 18 to 64; or blind. To qualify, an individual must have other income, such as Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, Social Security retirement or disability benefits, a small pension or, in some cases, wages.
Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) (previously Aid to Families with Dependent Children, or AFDC) is a program funded by the state and federal governments to provide financial and medical assistance to eligible families. The TANF program is designed to enable very poor families to provide basic necessities for their children. TANF funds many programs of DSS. This program includes preventive services, and services to families, the elderly and people with disabilities; SNAP, the new food stamp program; and energy assistance. 
DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS’ AFFAIRS (VA) was established to provide an expanded, integrated, and coordinated program of services to Connecticut veterans and their families. The agency provides assistance to veterans, their spouses or eligible dependents in obtaining rights, benefits and privileges to which they may be entitled under federal, state and local laws. Counseling is provided to Connecticut veterans concerning the availability of educational training and retraining facilities, health, medical, rehabilitation, and housing facilities and services; services for veterans who may have been exposed to herbicide during military action; and VA benefits for nursing home care. The agency also assists in establishment, preparation, and presentation of claims to rights, benefits or privileges accrued to veterans. The Department of Veterans’ Affairs Central Office is located at 287 West Street, Rocky Hill, CT 06067. Telephone: (866) 928-8387 (Toll-Free in CT).  www.ct.gov/ctva
Veterans’ Affairs District Offices
District 1 – 555 Willard Ave.
Newington, CT 06111
Telephone: (860) 594-6604 (Voice/TTY)
District 2 – 100 Broadway
Norwich City Hall
Norwich, CT  06360
Telephone: (860) 887-9162 (Voice/TTY)
District 3 – 70 West River St.
Milford, CT 06460
Telephone: (203) 874-6716 (Voice/TTY)
District 4 -752 East Main St.
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Telephone: (203) 336-2570 (Voice/TTY)
District 5 - Rowland State Government Center
55 West Main Street, Suite 140
Waterbury, CT 06702
Telephone: (203) 805-6340 (Voice/TTY)

GOVERNOR’S COMMITTEE ON EMPLOYMENT OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES distributes public awareness information about employment opportunities for people with disabilities and promotes increased awareness of the value of hiring people with disabilities. The Committee itself does not provide job placement services to people with disabilities. For more information, call: (860) 263-6000 (Voice); or write to: Department of Labor, 200 Folly Brook Boulevard, Wethersfield, CT 06109. www.ctdol.state.ct.us/gendocs/GCEPD/t-GCEPD.htm
LIBRARY FOR THE BLIND AND PHYSICALLY HANDICAPPED lends books and magazines on diskette, cassette or in Braille. Playback equipment, such as tape recorders, is provided free of charge to any Connecticut adult or child who is prevented by a visual or physical disability from reading ordinary-size print. All materials are available by postage-free mail. Call or write to request an application and certification procedures. The Library is located at 198 West Street, Rocky Hill, CT 06067. Telephone: (860) 721-2020 (Voice/TTY); (800) 842-4516 (Toll-Free Voice/TTY). www.ctstatelibrary.org/lbph
OFFICE OF THE CHILD ADVOCATE (OCA) was established in 1995 to protect the civil, legal and special rights of all the children in Connecticut, and to advance policies throughout the state that promote their well-being and best interests. For more information, call or write to the Child Advocate at 999 Asylum Ave. Hartford, CT 06105 - Telephone: (860) 566-2106 (Voice/TTY); (800) 994-0939 (Toll-Free Voice/TTY). www.ct.gov/oca
OFFICE OF EARLY CHILDHOOD (OEC) was established in 2013 to coordinate and improve the various early childhood programs and components to create a cohesive high-qualify early childhood system in Connecticut. The OEC oversees a coordinated system of early childhood care, education and support. The Office is located at 165 Capitol Ave., Hartford, CT 06106. Telephone: (860) 713-6410 (Voice). www.ct.gov/oec
Birth to Three Program is a statewide early intervention program for infants and toddlers with developmental delays. The system includes a range of services for children from birth to 36 months, such as home visits, therapies, developmental evaluation, parent support, and health services depending on the needs of the child and his/her family. INFOLINE (211) serves as the access point for the program. For information or to make a referral to the program, call: (800) 505-7000 (Toll-free, Voice/TTY). www.birth23.org
assists with questions related to enrollment in healthcare coverage, understanding the referral and pre-authorization process. They also provide assistance with grievance processes and appealing denials.  Located at 450 Capitol Ave., 2nd Floor, Hartford, CT, 06144.  Telephone: (866) 466-4446 (Voice).  www.ct.gov/oha.
is dedicated to protecting the legal rights of anyone who has been a victim of a crime.  OVA provides oversight and advocacy when the criminal justice system fails a crime victim or his/her family and where it appears that a crime victim or his/her family may be in need of assistance. The OVA may receive and review complaints concerning the actions of any state office or entity and investigate those complaints where it appears that the crime victim or his/her family needs assistance.  This includes filing a special appearance in any court hearing for the purpose of advocating for a crime victim when his/her rights have been violated. OVA provides presentations for the public and works on legislation that supports crime victim’s rights. Contact the Office of the Victim Advocate at: 505 Hudson Street, 5th Floor, Hartford, CT  06106.  Telephone: (860) 550-6632 (Voice); (888) 771-3126 (Toll-Free). www.ct.gov/ova
OFFICE OF VICTIM SERVICES (OVS) is charged with representing victims of crimes in getting compensation for expenses incurred, including medical services and loss of earning power.  A person from the OVS will explain to a victim the various rights to restitution services, and will work to get him/her the return of personal property used to investigate the crime, and access to pertinent records and test results. It is  OVS’s duty to protect the victim from being fired, harassed or in any manner be retaliated against at work for attending court proceedings or for serving as a witness in a criminal case. Contact the OVS at: 225 Spring Street, 4th Floor, Wethersfield, CT 06109. Telephone: (860) 263-2760 (Voice); (800) 842-9710 (Toll-Free TTY); (800) 822-8428 (Toll-Free Voice).  www.jud.ct.gov/crimevictim
SOLDIERS’ SAILORS’ AND MARINES’ FUND provides temporary financial assistance to veterans, who demonstrate a need for food, clothing, medical assistance, shelter and help with utility bills.  Applications may be filed through the American Legion Service Offices in the town in which the veteran resides or by calling: (860) 296-0719 (Voice/TTY); (844) 454-8900 (Toll-Free, Voice/TTY). Branch offices are located throughout the state with the agency’s main headquarters located at 864 Wethersfield Avenue, Hartford, CT 06114. www.ct.gov/ssmf
UNIVERSITY CENTER FOR EXCELLENCE IN DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES (formerly University Affiliated Programs) assists people of all ages with disabilities to access the support and services they need to live independently. The Center is a part of a federal system established in 1963 to address the needs of persons with disabilities through a coordinated program of interdisciplinary training, dissemination, outreach services, and applied research. The center promotes interdisciplinary collaboration across academic and community settings and serves as a resource for public policy development through the dissemination of research findings and information about best practices.  The agency, part of the University of Connecticut, is located at: 263 Farmington Avenue, MC6222, Farmington, CT 06030. Telephone: (860) 679-1500 (Voice); (860) 679-1502 (TTY); (866) 623-1315 (Toll-Free Voice).  www.uconnucedd.org
Municipal Disability Agencies
Office for Persons with Disabilities
752 East Main St., 2nd Floor
Bridgeport, CT 06608
Telephone: (203) 576-7452 (Voice/TTY)
Commission on Persons with Disabilities
155 Deer Hill Avenue
Danbury, CT 06810
Telephone:  (203) 796-8010 (Voice/TTY)
Office for Persons with Disabilities
Town Hall, 611 Old Post Road
Fairfield, CT 06430
Telephone: (203) 256-3130 (Voice/TTY) 
Commission on Disability Issues
550 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103
Telephone: (860) 757-9700 (Voice/TTY) 
Commission on Persons with Disabilities
27 West Main Street, New Britain, CT 06051
Telephone:  (860) 826-3366 (Voice)
Office for Persons with Disabilities
165 Church Street, New Haven, CT 06510
Telephone: (203) 946-7833 (Voice); (203) 946-8582 (TTY)
Federal Agencies/National Organizations
CONNECTICUT OFFICE OF HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT (HUD) - HUD’s mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all. HUD programs include, but are not limited to, subsidized housing, foreclosure assistance and housing discrimination investigations as well as complaints. The HUD Blue Book contains a complete listing of HUD properties in the state. One Corporate Center, 20 Church St., 10th Floor, Hartford, CT 06103. Telephone: 860-240-4800 (Voice); 860-240-4665 (TTY). www.hud.gov
NEW ENGLAND ADA CENTER facilitates voluntary and effective compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. The New England ADA Center is one of ten regional disability and business technical assistance centers funded by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR). The Center is a project of Adaptive Environments, Inc., a nonprofit organization. New England ADA Center is located at 180-200 Portland Street, First Floor, Boston, Massachusetts 02114.  Telephone: (800) 949-4232 (Toll-Free Voice/TTY). www.newenglandada.org
SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION administers programs for persons with disabilities who cannot work or are limited in their ability to work. Telephone: (800)772-1213 (Toll-Free Voice); (800)325-0778 (Toll-Free TTY). www.ssa.gov
Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) is paid to persons with disabilities who are unable to work due to a disability which has lasted, or can be expected to last, for a continuous period of not less than 12 months, or whose disability will result in death. Certain children, adult children with disabilities, widows/widowers may be eligible for SSDI.  
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a federal income assistance program for the people who are elderly, blind, and/or disabled. Unlike Social Security Disability, SSI has limits on a recipient’s income and assets. Recipients may receive both Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income, if eligible for both.
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE (DOJ) - CIVIL RIGHTS DIVISION - The primary goal of the Disability Rights section is to achieve equal opportunity for people with disabilities in the United States. Telephone:  (800) 514-0301 (Toll-Free Voice); (800) 514-0383 (Toll-Free TTY). www.justice.gov/crt
U.S. EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY COMMISSION (EEOC) protects individuals from discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age or disability. Discrimination by employers with 15 or more employees is prohibited in all aspects of the hiring and employment process or any other terms, privileges or conditions of employment provided or imposed by the employer. The EEOC can be contacted at 131 M Street NE, Washington, DC  20507.  Telephone: (800) 669-4000 (Toll-Free Voice); (800) 669-6820 (Toll-Free TTY) for the field office near you. www.eeoc.gov
Disability Organizations/Resources
ADAPT (American Disabled for Attendant Programs Today) focuses on promoting services in the community instead of institutionalizing people with disabilities in special facilities and nursing homes. Attendant services help with daily living needs such as eating, dressing, toileting, and moving from wheelchair to bed and are the cornerstone to community based services for people with severe disabilities. On the national level, ADAPT has targeted the reallocation of one quarter of the federal and state Medicaid dollars from institutional programs to consumer controlled community based programs.  www.adapt.org
ADVOCACY UNLIMITED, INC., teaches advocacy skills to mental health consumers to empower them to play a central role in shaping the policies and services that affect their lives. Advocacy Unlimited is located at 300 Russell Road, Wethersfield, CT 06109. Telephone: (860) 667-0460 (Voice); (800) 573-6929 (Toll-Free Voice/TTY).  www.mindlink.org
AFRICAN CARIBBEAN AMERICAN PARENTS (AFCAMP) is a parent-run organization whose purpose is to educate, inform and support African Caribbean American parents whose children with disabilities receive special education services through the Hartford public school system. The AFCAMP Office is located at 60B Weston Street, Hartford, CT 06120. Telephone: (860) 548-9959 (Voice). www.afcamp.org
AIDS/HIV RESOURCES AIDS PROJECTS These projects provide direct-service, community-based services that are run by mostly volunteers.  Services, which vary from project to project include: outreach and education; case management; meals-on-wheels; hotlines in English and Spanish; financial help; transportation, and housing.  There are support groups for people with HIV and for people with AIDS.  There are also support groups for caregivers. www.aids-ct.org 
For more information about AIDS Projects, call the local project listed below. The HIV/AIDS Hotline is: (800) 953-2371 (Toll-Free Voice). Telephone: (860) 951-4833 (Voice). 
AIDS Project of Greater Danbury
(203) 778-2437 (Voice)
 (860) 951-4779 (Voice)
Area Network on AIDS
(860) 646-0260 (Voice)
AIDS Project of Middlesex County
(860) 344-3438 (Voice)
New Britain
AIDS Project of Greater New Britain
(860) 225-6789 (Voice)
New Haven
AIDS Project New Haven
(203) 624-0947 (Voice)
AIDS Interfaith Network
(203) 624-4350 (Voice)
Hispanos Unidos Contra EI SIDA
(203) 781-0226 (Voice)
New London
Alliance for Living
(860) 447-0884 (Voice)
Mid-Fairfield AIDS Project
(203) 855-9535 (Voice)
Evergreen Network
(203) 254-0511 (Voice)
Stamford Cares
(203) 977-5096 (Voice)
Northwestern CT AIDS Project
(860) 482-1596 (Voice)
Windham AIDS Program
(860) 423-4534 (Voice)

ALZHEIMER’S ASSOCIATION works to raise the quality of life for everyone affected by Alzheimer’s.  It achieves its mission through advocacy, education and support systems.  There is a 24-hour hot line that available seven days a week that offers support and information. Telephone:  (800) 272-3900 (Toll-Free Voice). www.alz.org/ct  
ALS ASSOCIATION CONNECTICUT CHAPTER provides programs and services free of charge to families living with ALS in Connecticut.   You can view more information about our programs and support groups on our webpage, www.alsact.org located at 4 Oxford Rd, Unit E4, Milford, CT  06460.  Telephone: (203) 874-5050 (Voice).
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COALITION OF CONNECTICUT, INC. (ADACC), informs Connecticut citizens about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and works to foster voluntary compliance. It provides information, training, and technical assistance on rights and responsibilities under the ADA. The ADACC Office is located at 60B Weston Street, Hartford, CT 06120. Telephone: (860) 297-4383 (Voice).
ARC CONNECTICUT (ARC CT) formerly the Association for Retarded Citizens Connecticut, is a private, non-profit organization that advocates for full participation of people with intellectual disability in all aspects of community life. Services include residential services, vocational services, education, advocacy, and appropriate referral. For information, contact ARC Connecticut, 43 Woodlawn Street Suite 260, Hartford, CT 06105. Telephone: (860)246-6400 (Voice). www.thearcct.org 
AUTISM SERVICES AND RESOURCES CONNECTICUT (ASRC) is a non-profit organization committed to raising public awareness about autism spectrum disorders and devoted to empowering families and lessening their isolation. They are dedicated to educating families, professionals and the general public to the many strengths that people with ASD. Contact ASRC at: 101 North Plains Industrial Road. Harvest Park, Wallingford, CT 06492. Telephone: (203) 265-7717 (Voice); www.autismconnecticut.org
BRAIN INJURY ALLIANCE CONNECTICUT an agency helping people in Connecticut who have a brain injury and their families.  They provide case consultation, referral and advocacy services, educational prevention programs, in-service programs, and recreational social opportunities. For specific information and services, contact the agency: 200 Day Hill Road, Suite 250, Windsor, CT 06095, Telephone: (860) 219-0291 (Voice).  Help Line: (800) 278-TBIA (8242). www.biact.org  
COMMUNITY ACTION AGENCIES are charged with the goal of meeting the needs of people with low-income by helping them obtain the skills and knowledge necessary for self-sufficiency.  The programs available throughout the state include job training, education, child care, energy assistance and weatherization.  The Community Action Agencies also offer housing, criminal justice and pre-trial intervention, community centers, mental health services, homeless services, and nutrition programs. Programs are available at the Community Action Agencies listed below:
Bridgeport ABCD
1070 Park Ave.
(203) 366-8241 (Voice)
Energy Assistance: (203) 384-6904 (Voice)
Bristol BCO
55 South St.
(860) 584-2725 (Voice)         
Energy Assistance: (860) 582-7490 (Voice)
Danbury CACD (Community Action Agency of Western CT, Inc.)
66 North St.
(203) 744-4700 (Voice)
Energy Assistance: (203) 748-5422 (Voice)
Danielson Access
231 Broad St.
(860) 412-1600 (Voice)
Energy Assistance: (860) 412-1600, ext. 1603 (Voice)
Derby TEAM
30 Elizabeth St.
(203) 736-5420 (Voice)               
Energy Assistance: (203) 736-5420
Hartford CRT
555 Windsor St.
(860) 560-5600 (Voice)
Energy Assistance: (860) 560-5800 (Voice)
Jewett City TVCCA
One Sylandale Rd.
(860) 889-1365 (Voice)
Energy Assistance (Norwich): (860) 425-6681 (Voice)
Meriden New Opportunities
74 Cambridge St.
(203) 639-5060 (Voice)
Energy Assistance: (203) 639-5060 (Voice)
Middletown CRT
44 Hamlin St.
(860) 347-4465 (Voice)
Energy Assistance: (860) 347-4465 (Voice)
New Britain HRA
180 Clinton St.
(860) 225-8601 (Voice)
Energy Assistance: (860) 225-1084 (Voice)
New Haven CAANH
419 Whalley Ave.
(203) 387-7700 (Voice)
Energy Assistance: (203) 285-8018 (Voice)
New London TVCAA
83 Huntington St.
(860) 425-6681 (Voice)
Energy Assistance: (860) 425-6681 (Voice)
Norwalk NEON
98 South Main St.
(203) 899-2420 (Voice)
Energy Assistance: (203) 899-2484 (Voice)
Stamford CTE
34 Woodland Ave.
(203) 327-3260 (Voice)
Energy Assistance: (203) 352-4846 (Voice)
Waterbury New Opportunities
232 North Elm St.
(203) 575-9799 (Voice)
Energy Assistance (203) 575-9799 (Voice)
Willimantic Access
1315 Main St.
(860) 450-7400 (Voice)
Energy Assistance: (860) 450-7400 (Voice)
CENTER FOR MEDICARE ADVOCACY, INC., is a national non-profit, non-partisan organization that provides education, advocacy, and legal assistance to help elders and people with disabilities obtain Medicare and necessary healthcare. The Center focuses on the needs of Medicare beneficiaries, people with chronic conditions, and those in need of long-term care. The organization is involved in writing, education, and advocacy activities of importance to Medicare beneficiaries nationwide. The Center's national office is in Connecticut, with offices in Washington, DC and throughout the country. The Center's staff act as consultants and trainers for groups that are interested in learning about healthcare rights, Medicare coverage and appeals, or in developing Medicare advocacy projects. For more information, contact: P.O. Box 350, Willimantic, CT 06226. Telephone: (860) 456-7790 (Voice). www.medicareadvocacy.org
CHRONIC FATIGUE IMMUNE DEFICIENCY & FIBROMYALGIA ASSOCIATION (CFIDS) publishes a quarterly newsletter, provides information and referrals to persons living with CFIDS, Chronic Epstein Barr Virus or Fibromyalgia. For more information, contact: Connecticut CFIDS Association, Inc. P.O. Box 3010, Milford, CT 06460. Telephone: (800) 952-2037 (Toll-Free Voice/TTY).  www.ct-cfids-fm.org
CONNECTICUT ASSOCIATION OF THE DEAF (CAD) is an organization of concerned citizens who promote the best interests of people who are deaf or hard of hearing in Connecticut. For more information, write to Connecticut Association of the Deaf, P.O. Box 207589, West Hartford, CT 06127-0589. Interpreter: (866) 351-1959 www.deafcad.org
CONNECTICUT DOWN SYNDROME CONGRESS (CDSC) helps to improve the lives of people with Down syndrome by promoting equity, opportunities, inclusion, and empowering them and their families in all aspects of life. Mailing address is CDSC, P.O. Box 243, Meriden, CT  06450 Telephone: 203-351-1157 (Voice); 888-486-8537 (Toll Free). www.ctdownsyndrome.org

CONNECTICUT FAMILY SUPPORT NETWORK is a network of families who have children with disabilities. They are parents interested in helping other parents to find the supports they need. The Network was created by the Connecticut Family Support Council, a legislatively established partnership of parents and professionals working to improve supports for families of children with disabilities. www.ctfsn.org
Contact your local Family Support Coordinator:
Statewide Coordinator:
Tesha Imperati
(203) 710-3041
North Region:
Amy McCoy
(860) 430-9370
Northeast Region:
Heather Graveline
(860) 546-9289
Northwest Region:
Melissa Kremmel
(860) 965-4953
Southeast Region:
April Dipollina
(860) 271-4371
West Region:
Trish Butler
(203) 826-9739
North Central Region:
Rosa Serrano
(860) 548-9959, ext. 313
South Central Region:
Deborah Pagano
(203) 430-0242
Southwest Region:
Karleen Cradduck
Bilingual Family Support Coordinator:
Maggy Morales
(860) 679-1527
CT-KASA - The Connecticut chapter of Kids As Self Advocates (CT-KASA) is a grassroots network of youth with disabilities and their friends, speaking for themselves.  As emerging new leaders in our communities, CT-KASA members help to spread information among peers to increase knowledge about living in their communities, including information about various disability issues including. They hold face-to-face meetings in different locations in the state, as wells as SKYPE/conference calls and fun activities. All meetings and events are planned by the youth leaders.   Contact: CT-KASA, c/o PATH/Family Voices of Connecticut, P.O. Box 117, Northford, CT  06472.  Telephone: (203) 234-9554

CONNECTICUT PARENT ADVOCACY CENTER, INC. (CPAC), is a statewide nonprofit organization established to inform parents of children with disabilities about special education rights and procedures, and to provide information and referral services for any problems related to the education of their children. Services include workshops for parents, in-service training for professionals, a newsletter, resource collection and individual assistance. Spanish-speaking staff is available. The Center is located at 338 Main Street, Niantic, CT 06357. Telephone: (860) 739-3089 (Voice) or (800) 445-2722 (Toll-Free Voice). www.cpacinc.org
CONNECTICUT RADIO INFORMATION SYSTEM (CRIS) broadcasts readings 24 hours a day from local and national newspapers, and current magazines. CRIS special radios are provided at no charge to listeners who have a visual, physical or learning disability that prevents them from reading conventional print information. Contact CRIS, 315 Windsor Avenue, Windsor, CT 06095. Telephone: (860) 527-8000 (Voice); (800) 708-0004 (Toll-Free Voice).  www.crisradio.org
CONNECTICUT STATE INDEPENDENT LIVING COUNCIL (SILC) promotes choice, equal access, opportunity, and full inclusion of people with disabilities in the economic, political, social, cultural, and educational mainstream of American Society. Posted on the SILC website is the Cross Disability Alliance Calendar of Events across Connecticut. Telephone: (860) 523-0126 (Voice). www.ctsilc.org
CONSUMER CREDIT COUNSELING SERVICE OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND (CCCS) is a private, nonprofit counseling agency licensed by the state Department of Banking, affiliated with the National Foundation for Consumer Credit. CCCS provides confidential counseling; money management and budgeting skills; and debt repayment planning assistance. For more information, call: 866-889-9347 (Toll-Free Voice/TTY). www.creditcounseling.org
CORPORATION FOR INDEPENDENT LIVING (CIL) provides an array of housing related services including home modifications, group home development and affordable housing development. CIL is located at 157 Charter Oak Avenue, Hartford, CT  06106. Telephone: (860) 563-6011 (Voice). www.cilhomes.org
ECOLOGICAL HEALTH ORGANIZATION (ECHO) is a statewide non-profit organization that provides advocacy, support resources, education and referral services for people with multiple chemical sensitivity and others who are interested in its prevention. For more information, call: (570) 472-0374 (Voice).  www.echomcsct.homestead.com
EPILEPSY FOUNDATION OF CONNECTICUT is a statewide non-profit organization that provides information and referrals, education programs, summer camp for children with epilepsy, support services, and advocacy. For more information, write or call the Foundation at 386 Main Street, Middletown, CT  06457.   Telephone: (860) 346-1924 (Voice); (800) 899-3745 (Toll-Free Voice). www.epilepsyct.com
FAVOR is a family advocacy organization for children’s mental health.  The family advocates work within a network of family members, parent organizations and other advocates who provide a variety of multicultural and educational opportunities and resources.  They work together to improve services and support for children and families through individual advocacy, system change and legislative agendas.  FAVOR, Inc., 185 Silas Deane Highway, Wethersfield, CT  06109-1219. FAVOR can be reached at: (860) 563-3232 (Voice). www.favor-ct.org
HISPANIC HEALTH COUNCIL is committed to improving the health and social well-being of Puerto Rican/Latinos and other underserved communities through community-based research, direct services, training and advocacy. For more information, call or write the Hispanic Health Council at 175 Main Street, Hartford, CT  06106. Telephone: (860) 527-0856 (Voice). www.hispanichealth.com
HOUSING EDUCATION RESOURCE CENTER (HERC) provides a variety of services including a Foreclosure Prevention Counseling Program, tenant/landlord counseling and information regarding a wide variety of housing topics. HERC, 901 Wethersfield Ave., Hartford, CT 06114, Telephone: (860) 296-4372 (Voice). www.herc-inc.org
INDEPENDENT LIVING CENTERS (ILCs) are private, non-profit service programs that assist persons with disabilities to achieve their maximum independence and control of their lives as they live and work in the community. The four core services are advocacy, information and referral, peer counseling and skills training. The following is a list Connecticut’s Independent Living Centers:

Center for Disability Rights
764-A Campbell Avenue
West Haven, CT 06516
Telephone: (203) 934-7077 (Voice)
Access Independence
80 Ferry Boulevard, Suite 205
Stratford, CT 06615
Telephone: (203) 378-6977 (Voice/TTY) 
Disabilities Network of Eastern Connecticut (DNEC)
19 Ohio Avenue
Norwich, CT  06360
Telephone: (860) 823-1898 (Voice)
(860) 237-4514 (Video Phone)
Independence Northwest
1183 New Haven Road, Suite 200
Naugatuck, CT 06770
Telephone: (203) 729-3299 (Voice/TTY)
Independence Unlimited
151 New Park Avenue, Suite #65
Hartford, CT 06106
Telephone: (860) 523-5021 (Voice/TTY)

INFOLINE 211 is a free telephone service that provides information, referral, and crisis intervention. It is easily accessed from anywhere in Connecticut by dialing 2-1-1.  Trained professionals help callers find information, discover options, or deal with a crisis by locating hundreds of services in their community on many different issues including those of interest to persons with disabilities.
For example, Infoline offers information and referral about disability counseling and support groups, assistive technology purchase and repair, in-home and respite care, case management services, developmental assessments, legal/advocacy/disability rights groups, home modification and barrier removal, and supportive living and employment programs. 
Infoline operates 24 hours a day, has multilingual caseworkers on staff, and is TTY accessible.  Infoline is a service of the United Way and the State of Connecticut.  Telephone:  211 (Voice/TTY); (800) 203-1234 (Toll-Free Voice/TTY Outside of CT). Website: www.211ct.org  
JOB ACCOMMODATION NETWORK (JAN) provides free assistance with disability employment issues and accommodations. They also provide guidance on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and related legislation as well as self-employment and entrepreneurship options for people with disabilities. Telephone: (800) 526-7234 (Toll-Free Voice), (877) 781-9403 (Toll Free TTY).  www.askjan.org
MASHANTUCKET PEQUOT TRIBAL NATION VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION SERVICES (MPTN-VR) provides culturally sensitive Vocational Rehabilitation services to state or federally recognized Native Americans with disabilities residing in Connecticut and Rhode Island in order to assist them to prepare for, find or maintain appropriate employment.  Traditional Native American services are provided in coordination with the vocational rehabilitation services. Traditional services include, but are not limited to: Sweat Lodge, Smudging, Talking Circle, Prayer, Social Events, and Traditional Lifestyle.  For further information contact: Vocational Rehabilitation Program Tribal Health Services, P.O. Box 3310, Mashantucket, CT 06338-3310. Telephone: (860) 396-2281 (Voice); (800) 399-1122 (Toll-Free). www.tribalvr.org
NATIONAL ALLIANCE ON MENTAL ILLNESS, CONNECTICUT CHAPTER (NAMI-CT) is a statewide organization for the families, friends and individuals living with serious mental illness. NAMI provides support, education, information and advocacy. NAMI is located at: 576 Farmington Avenue, Hartford, CT 06105. Telephone: (860) 882-0236 (Voice); (800) 215-3021 (Toll-Free). www.namict.org  
NATIONAL MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS SOCIETY – CONNECTICUT CHAPTER is committed to empowering people with multiple sclerosis to live as independently as possible to the maximum of their capabilities within the least restrictive environment.  The M.S. Society is a non-profit organization supporting research that examines the cause, prevention and treatment of MS, as well as the quality and scope of health services for people with M.S. For information, contact: CT Chapter, 659 Tower Avenue, 1st Floor, Hartford, CT 06112. Telephone: (860) 913-2550.  www.nationalmssociety.org/chapters/CTN/index.aspx
NATIONAL ORGANIZATION ON FETAL ALCOHOL SYNDROME (NOFAS) is dedicated to eliminating birth defects caused by alcohol consumption during pregnancy and to improving the quality of life for individuals and families. Telephone: (800) 666-6327 (Toll-Free Voice).  www.nofas.org
NATIONAL SPINAL CORD INJURY ASSOCIATION–CONNECTICUT CHAPTER members work with local agencies to develop better programs and services for people with spinal cord injuries and act as community advocates for improved access, housing, transportation, employment and leisure time activities for individuals with disabilities. Peer support and other services are also provided. For information on the Connecticut Chapter, call: (203) 284-2910 (Voice). www.sciact.org.
NEW ENGLAND ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY CENTER (NEAT) is a demonstration and an equipment restoration center.  It is a place to learn about products and equipment that assist people with disabilities with day to day activities they have trouble doing themselves. The public may donate or purchase equipment.  NEAT also offers workshops on various assistive technology topics.  Contact NEAT at 33 Coventry St., Hartford, CT 06112.  Telephone:  (860) 243-2869 or toll-free at (866) 526-4492 (Toll-Free Voice), (860) 286-3113 (TTY/Voice).  www.neatmarketplace.org
NONVERBAL LEARNING DISORDERS ASSOCIATION (NLDA) is an international non-profit corporation committed to facilitating education, research and advocacy for children and adults who have disabilities associated with nonverbal learning disorders.  Contact NLDA at: 507 Hopmeadow Street, Simsbury, CT 06070.  Telephone:  (860) 658-5522 (Voice). www.nlda.org
PADRES ABRIENDO PUERTAS or PARENTS OPENING DOORS (PAP) is the only community-based organization in the State of Connecticut solely devoted to opening doors of opportunity to Latino children by guaranteeing access to quality education and mental health services. PAP fosters the human, civil and educational rights and total community inclusion of Latino children with developmental disabilities and mental health issues. The PAP Office is located at 60 B Weston Street, Hartford, CT 06120.  For more information, call: (860) 297-4391 (Voice) or (860) 297-4380 (TTY). 
PEOPLE FIRST OF CONNECTICUT is a non-profit, self-advocacy organization for individuals with developmental disability. Local chapters regularly meet around the state.  Contact: People First of Connecticut at: 43 Woodland Street, Suite 260 Hartford, CT  06105.  Telephone: (860) 479-1308 (Voice). www.peoplefirstct.org
PROPERTY TAX ABATEMENT - Individuals with disabilities may qualify for reduced property taxes through their town. Contact your town's tax office to find out what is available in your area.
SALVATION ARMY offers many services at various centers throughout Connecticut. The services include Family Shelter, The Right Place School Readiness & Family Resources Center, Food and Clothing Bank, Adult Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Center, Grandparents’ Support Groups, Young Parents Program, Girls, Inc., Food for Life Pantries, Senior Center, Camp CONNRI, CONNRI Lodge Retreat & Conference Center, Homeless Prevention Program, and After School Programs.  The Salvation Army runs thrift stores, soup kitchens, feeding and nutrition programs and other services.  Divisional Office:  855 Asylum Avenue, Hartford, CT.  Telephone: (860) 702-0000 (Voice).
STATE EDUCATION RESOURCE CENTER (SERC) was formerly known as the Special Education Resource Center. SERC is a quasi-public agency primarily funded by the Connecticut State Department of Education. SERC provides professional development and information dissemination in the latest research and best practices to educators, service providers, and families throughout the state, as well as job-embedded technical assistance and training within schools, programs, and districts. The agency continues to maintain the Special Education Resource Center in addition to its broader responsibilities, including early childhood education and school improvement. SERC, 25 Industrial Park Road, Middletown, CT 06457-1520 Telephone: (860) 632-1485 (Voice). www.ctserc.org
WESTERN CT ASSOCIATION FOR HUMAN RIGHTS (WeCAHR) is an organization that advocates for the civil and human rights of adults and children with disabilities. They work to create and promote personal success, independence and community involvement for people with disabilities. WeCAHR is located at: 325 Main Street, Danbury, CT 06810. Telephone: (203) 792-3540 (Voice) www.wecahr.org/
Legal Assistance
AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION OF CONNECTICUT (ACLU-CT) is a non-partisan, non-profit membership organization whose mission is to assure that the Bill of Rights and the rights guaranteed by the Connecticut Constitution are preserved for each new generation. The ACLU-CT accomplishes these goals through legislative advocacy, litigation, grassroots organizing and public education on a broad array of issues affecting our liberties. The ACLU-CT is one of 53 affiliates of the American Civil Liberties Union nationwide.  They can be contacted at: 330 Main Street, First Floor, Hartford, CT 06106. Telephone: (860) 523-9146 (Voice). www.acluct.org
CENTER FOR CHILDREN’S ADVOCACY, UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT SCHOOL OF LAW is a non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion and protection of the legal rights of poor children who are dependent on a variety of Connecticut systems – Judicial, Child Welfare, Health, Mental Health, Education and Juvenile Justice.  Based at the University Of Connecticut School Of Law, the Center’s twin missions are to provide holistic legal services to children in their communities and to improve quality of legal representation of children through interdisciplinary models and training programs.  They are located at: 65 Elizabeth Street, Hartford, CT 06105. Telephone: (860) 570-5327 (Voice).  www.kidscounsel.org
CHILDREN’S LAW CENTER OF CONNECTICUT, Inc. (CLC) is a non-profit agency that provides indigent children with experienced lawyers who give them a Voice in family court. CLC also provides information in legal matters involving children, and advocates in support of legislative policies that advance the well-being and best interests of children. The Center is located at: 30 Arbor Street, Fourth Floor North Building, Hartford, CT 06106. Telephone: (860) 232-9993 (Voice); (888) 529-3667 (Toll-Free Voice).  www.clcct.org
CONNECTICUT FAIR HOUSING CENTER, INC., is a statewide, private, non-profit organization dedicated to removing barriers to housing choices.  They provide information, education, and training on fair housing laws; investigation, and testing of discrimination complaints; attorney referrals; technical assistance; research; and consulting services. The office is located at 221 Main Street, 4th Floor, Hartford, CT  06106. Telephone: (888) 247-4401 (Toll-Free Voice). www.ctfairhousing.org
CONNECTICUT JUDICIAL BRANCH provides numerous legal clinics and help in such areas as divorce/custody, foreclosure, security deposits and small claims. Check their website at www.jud.ct.gov/clinics for topics and schedules.

CONNECTICUT LEGAL RIGHTS PROJECT (CLRP) is an independent, non-profit agency that advocates for low-income adults who have or are perceived to have a psychiatric disability. CLRP’s attorneys and legal advocates provide services ranging from brief advice to full legal representation with legal problems related to: services and/or treatment from mental health or other providers, enforcement of rights guaranteed by State or Federal law such as due process, non-discrimination, and informed consent, administrative and judicial procedures such as grievances, conservatorships, commitments, and medication hearings. For more information call: (877) 402-2299 (Toll Free Voice); (860) 262-5030 (Voice); (860) 262-5066 (TTY). www.clrp.org 
CONNECTICUT LEGAL SERVICES, CONSUMER LAW PROJECT for ELDERS (CLS) was created to provide comprehensive, current information on elder law, government programs and legal assistance for residents of Connecticut age 60 and older. (800) 296-1467 (Toll-Free Voice). www.ctlawhelp.org/self-help-guides/elder-law
CONNECTICUT WOMEN’S EDUCATION AND LEGAL FUND (CWEALF) is a statewide non-profit organization dedicated to empowering women, girls and their families to achieve equal opportunities in their personal and professional lives.  Since 1973, CWEALF has utilized legal and public policy strategies and provided community education to promote gender equity and end sex discrimination at individual and societal levels. They can be reached at: One Hartford Square West, Suite 1-300 Hartford, CT 06106. Telephone: (860) 247-6090 (Voice). www.cwealf.org
INMATE LEGAL AID PROGRAM , Bansley Anthony, LLC,  provides legal assistance to inmates in civil matters involving terms and conditions of their confinement only. Inmate Legal Aid Program, Bansley Anthony, LLC, 265 Orange Street, New Haven, CT 06510.  Telephone: (866) 311-4527.
LAWYER REFERRAL SERVICES, a project of the Connecticut Bar Association, can suggest a private attorney who, for a nominal consultation fee, will assess a case and provide an estimate of charges. www.ctbar.org   Area Offices are listed below:
Fairfield County: (203) 335-4116                      
Hartford County: (860) 525-6052   
New London County: (860) 889-9384                
New Haven County: (203) 562-5750 
QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW LEGAL CLINIC provides assistance with civil, health, family, and federal income tax matters.  They can be reached at: 275 Mount Carmel Avenue, Hamden, CT 06518. Telephone: (203) 582-3238 (Voice). www.quinnipiac.edu/academics/colleges-schools-and-departments/school-of-law
STATEWIDE LEGAL SERVICES provides free civil legal services to income-eligible people, in the form of direct representation in crisis situations, advice, referrals, and legal self-help materials. Assistance is provided in a variety of areas of law including the following: housing, family, special education, entitlements, energy assistance, Medicare, Social Security Disability, and the rights of elderly people and people with disabilities. Statewide Legal Services screens cases for all legal assistance programs in the state, providing brief services and advice, community education materials, and when appropriate, referrals to local legal services offices for all non-criminal related matters. Telephone: (800) 453-3320 (Toll-Free Voice/TTY); (860) 344-0380 (Voice) (860) 247-4400 (Voice). Spanish-speaking staff available.  www.slsct.org
UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT SCHOOL OF LAW LEGAL CLINIC represents indigent individuals in criminal matters, asylum, human rights, mediation, intellectual property and tax.  The office is located at: 45 Elizabeth Street, Hartford, CT 06105. Telephone: (860) 570-5165 (Voice). www.law.uconn.edu/academics/clinical-education
YALE UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL CLINIC links law students with individuals in need of legal help who cannot afford private attorneys.  Contact: Yale Law School, P.O. Box 209090, New Haven, CT 06520-8215.  Telephone:  (203) 432-4800 (Voice). www.law.yale.edu/academics/clinicalopportunities.htm
Support Groups and Other Useful Resources
American Diabetes Association
2080 Silas Deane Highway; 2nd Floor; Rocky Hill, CT  06067
Telephone: (203) 639-0385 (Voice) 
www.diabetes.org for local contact.
Arthritis Foundation Connecticut Office
35 Cold Springs Road – Suite 411, Rocky Hill, CT 06067
Telephone:  (860) 563-1177 (Voice); (800) 541-8350 (Toll-Free Voice).
Bridgeport Child Advocacy Coalition
2470 Fairfield Avenue, Bridgeport, CT 06605
Telephone: (203) 549-0075 (Voice);  www.bcacct.org
Connecticut Association of Centers for Independent Living (CACIL)
80 Ferry Blvd., Suite 205, Stratford, CT 06615
Telephone: (203) 729-3299 (Voice); www.cacil.net
Connecticut Families for Effective Autism Treatment (FEAT)
P.O. Box 370352 West Hartford, CT 06137-0352
Telephone: (860) 571-3888 (Voice); www.ctfeat.org
Connecticut Family Voices - PATH Parent to Parent of CT
Parents Available to Help, Inc.; P.O. Box 117; Northford, CT  06472.
Telephone: (800) 399-PATH (Toll-Free, CT only); (203) 234-9554 (Voice).
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation CT Chapter
101 Centerpoint Drive, Suite 107, Middletown, CT  06457
Telephone: (860) 632-7300 (Voice); www.cff.org
Juvenile Diabetes Foundation (JDRF) 
www.jdrf.org for local chapter.
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society  (LLS)
3 Landmark Square, Suite 330, Stamford, CT 06901
Telephone: (203) 388-9160 (Voice); www.lls.org
Mental Health Connecticut
61 South Main St., Suite 100, West Hartford, CT 06107
Telephone: (800) 842-1501, ext. 10 (Toll-Free Voice); www.mhconn.org
Muscular Dystrophy Association
127 Washington Ave., 3rd Floor West, North Haven, CT 06473
Telephone: (203) 248-6500 (Voice); www.mda.org
National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut
477 Connecticut Blvd, Suite 217, East Hartford, CT 06108
Telephone: (860) 289-1971 (Voice); www.nfbct.org

National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD)
55 Kenosia Avenue, Danbury, CT 06810
Telephone: (203) 744-0100 (Voice); www.rarediseases.org
Prader-Willi Syndrome Association (USA)
Telephone: (800) 926-4797 (Toll-Free Voice); www.pwsausa.org
Spina Bifida Association (National)
1600 Wilson Blvd., Suite 800, Arlington, VA 22209
Telephone: (202) 944-3285 (Voice); www.spinabifidaassociation.org
Tourette Syndrome Association (National)
Telephone: (718) 224-2999 (Voice); www.tsa-usa.org
United Cerebral Palsy of Eastern Connecticut
42 Norwich Rd., Quaker Hill, CT 06375
Telephone: (860) 443-3800 (Voice); www.ucpect.org/
Was this information helpful?

Content Last Modified on 12/8/2016 8:31:39 AM