OPA: Disability Resource Directory

Disability Resource Directory

State Agencies and Bureaus
COMMISSION ON HUMAN RIGHTS AND OPPORTUNITIES (CHRO) is Connecticut’s chief civil rights law enforcement agency. CHRO receives and investigates complaints alleging discrimination in employment, housing, public accommodations and credit transactions. Where a violation is found, the CHRO will attempt to negotiate appropriate relief or bring the issues to a hearing. In most cases, complaints must be filed within 180 days of the alleged act of discrimination. All housing complaints are filed at CHRO’S Central Office. CHRO’s Central Office is located at 25 Sigourney Street, Hartford, Connecticut 06106. Telephone: (860) 541-3400 (Voice); (860) 541-3459 (TTY); (800) 477-5737 (Voice/TTY/Toll-free in state).  Website: www.ct.gov/chro 
CHRO Regional Office Locations:
Capitol Region:
999 Asylum Avenue, Second Floor - Hartford, Connecticut 06105;
Phone: (860) 566-7710 (Voice/TTY)
Eastern Region:
100 Broadway - Norwich, Connecticut 06360
Phone: (860) 886-5703 (Voice) or (860) 886-5707 (TTY)
Southwest Region: 
350 Fairfield Ave., 6th Floor – Bridgeport, Connecticut 06604;
Phone: (203) 579-6246 (Voice/TTY)
West Central Region:
Rowland State Government Center, 55 West Main Street, Suite 210, Waterbury, Connecticut 06702
Phone: (203) 805-6530 (Voice) or (203) 805-6579 (TTY)
CONNECTICUT COUNCIL ON DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES (DD Council) is a governor-appointed body of people with disabilities, family members, and professionals who work together to promote full inclusion of all people with disabilities in community life. The Council on Developmental Disabilities is located at 460 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, Connecticut 06106. Telephone: (860) 418-6160 (Voice) or (860) 418-6172 (TTY) or 1 (800) 653-1134 (Toll-free in Connecticut/Voice).  Website: www.ct.gov/ctcdd
DEPARTMENT OF BANKING (DOB) regulates financial institutions and related entities. In addition they can provide assistance to tenants who have questions about or are having difficulty with the return of security deposits.  The Department of Banking is located at 260 Constitution Plaza, Hartford, CT 06103.  Telephone: (Voice) (860) 240-8299, (Toll free) (800)831-7225.    Website: www.ct.gov/dob  
DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILIES (DCF) focuses on working with families and communities to improve child safety, to ensure that more children have permanent families, and to advance the overall well-being of children. To report abuse or neglect call the DCF Hot Line at 1 (800) 842-2288 (state-wide/Voice) 1 (800) 624-5518 (TTY). Website: www.ct.gov/dcf
Department of Children and Families 
Regional Office Locations
Bridgeport Office
100 Fairfield Avenue
Bridgeport, Connecticut 06604
(203) 384-5300
(203) 384-5399 (TTY)
Central Office
505 Hudson Street
Hartford, CT  06106
Telephone: (860) 550-6300
Central Office Satellite
(in Meriden)
One West Main Street
Meriden, CT  06451
Telephone: (203) 238-8400
(203) 238-8517 (TTY)

 Danbury Office
131 West Street
Danbury, Connecticut 06810
Telephone: (203) 207-5100
TTY: (203) 748-8325
Hartford Office
250 Hamilton Street
Hartford, Connecticut 06106
Telephone: (860) 418-8000
(800) 315-4082 toll free
TTY: (860) 418-8000
Manchester Office
364 West Middle Turnpike
Manchester, Connecticut 06040
Telephone: (860) 533-3600 or
TTY:  (800) 315-4415
Middletown Office
2081 South Main Street
Middletown, Connecticut 06457
Telephone: (860) 638-2100
TTY: (860) 638-2195
Milford Office
38 Wellington Road
Milford, CT  06461
Telephone: (203) 306-5300
TTY: (203) 306-5604
New Britain Office
One Grove Street, 4th Floor
New Britain, Connecticut 06053
Telephone: (860) 832-5200
TTY: (860) 832-5370
New Haven Office
One Long Wharf Drive
New Haven, CT 06511
Telephone: (203) 786-0500
TTY: (203) 786-2599

Norwalk Office
149 Water Street
2nd Floor 
Norwalk, Connecticut  06854
Telephone: (203) 899-1400
TTY: (203) 899-1491
Norwich Office
2 Courthouse Square
Norwich, Connecticut 06360
Telephone: (860) 886-2641
TTY: (860) 885-2438
Stamford Office
401 Shippan Avenue, Suite 2
Stamford, Connecticut 06902
Telephone: (203) 348-4294
TTY: (203) 965-0160
Torrington Office
62 Commercial Boulevard
Torrington, Connecticut 06790
Telephone: (860) 496-5700
TTY: (860) 496-5798

Waterbury Office
395 West Main Street
Waterbury, Connecticut 06702
Telephone: (203) 759-7000
TTY: (203) 465-7329
Willimantic Office
322 Main Street
Willimantic, Connecticut 06226
Telephone: (860) 450-2000
TTY: (860) 456-6603

DEPARTMENT OF DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES (DDS) (formerly Department of Mental Retardation) coordinates and oversees services for people of all ages with intellectual disability and persons medically diagnosed as having Prader-Willi Syndrome.  These include: comprehensive case management services; early intervention  for  infants and oddlers; community-based residential programs; supported living for people in their own residences, job training and supported employment, respite and other family support, and rehabilitative day programs. All services are subject to the availability of resources and may require a waiting period. Services and referrals to community resources are available through three regions. 
DDS’s Central Office is located at 460 Capitol Avenue – Hartford, Connecticut 06106. Telephone:(860) 418-6000 (Voice) or (860) 418-6079 (TTY) or (866) 737-0330 (Voice/TTY).  Website: www.ct.gov/dds 
Department of Developmental Services Regional Office Locations
West Region
55 West Main Street
Waterbury, Connecticut 06702
(866) 274-3888 (Toll-free/Voice) or (203) 805-7400 (Voice)
North Region
155 Founders Plaza
255 Pitkin Street
East Hartford, Connecticut 06108;
1-(800) 558-9527 (Voice, Toll-free in CT); 1 (800) 558-9527 ext. 2510 (Voice)
35 Thorpe Avenue
3rd Floor
Wallingford, Connecticut 06492;
(203) 294-5049 (Voice); 1-(888) 263-4445 (Toll-free in CT)(Voice/TTY)
(203) 294-4475 (TTY)
Other DDS Programs:

Birth to Three Program is a statewide early intervention program for infants and toddlers with developmental delays. The system includes a range of services for children from birth to 36 months, such as home visits, therapies, developmental evaluation, parent support, and health services depending on the needs of the child and his/her family. INFOLINE (211) serves as the access point for the program. For information or to make a referral to the program, call; (800)-505-7000 (Toll-free, Voice/TTY).  Website: www.birth23.org
Independent Office of the Ombudsperson for Developmental Services works on behalf of consumers of DDS’ services and their families.  The Office addresses complaints or problems regarding access to services or equity in treatment.  The Office of the Ombudsperson is located at 460 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, Connecticut 06106. Telephone: (860) 418-6047 (Voice) or (Toll-free) 1-(866) 737-0331 (Voice/TTY).   Website: http://www.ct.gov/dds/cwp/view.asp?a=2052&q=328222&ddsNav=|   
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION, Bureau of Special Education and Pupil Services has a number of responsibilities, including the investigation of complaints which allege that a school system has violated the requirements of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (I.D.E.A.) and/or Connecticut state statutes. You can file a complaint by calling or writing to the Connecticut State Department of Education, Bureau of Special Education and Pupil Services.  The Department of Education is located in the State Office Building, 165 Capitol Avenue, P. O. Box 2219, Hartford, Connecticut 06145. Telephone: (860) 713-6543. Website: www.sde.ct.gov/sde/
DEPARTMENT OF LABOR (DOL) provides protection to workers on the job by enforcing statutes relating to payment of wages, health and safety, employment of minors, family and medical leave, representation by labor organizations and resolution of labor disputes. The Research Office monitors the state’s economy and its impact on the work force. Publications are available to the public regarding the labor market, worker protection and other employment-related information.  The Department of Labor’s Central Office is located at 200 Folly Brook Boulevard, Wethersfield, Connecticut 06109. Telephone: (860) 263-6000 (Voice) or (860) 263-6074 (TTY).  Website: www.ctdol.state.ct.us.
The Department of Labor administers:
Unemployment Insurance, a joint federal/state program providing benefits for eligible workers who qualify under Connecticut law. Unemployment insurance does not cover all cases, and benefits are paid only when certain legal conditions are met.

CTWorks - The Department of Labor has CTWorks Centers throughout Connecticut that provide a variety of services to individuals seeking jobs. www.ctdol.state.ct.us/ctworks/ctworks.htm

Department of Labor Regional Offices/CTWorks Centers
2 Lafayette Square
Bridgeport, Connecticut 06604
Telephone: (203) 455-2700 (Voice)
TTY (203) 455-2714
4 Liberty Street
Danbury, Connecticut 06810
Telephone: (203) 730-0451 (Voice)
95 Westcott Road
Danielson, Connecticut 06239
Telephone: (860) 412-7000 (Voice)
TTY (860) 412-7034
33 Elizabeth Street, 3rd Floor
Derby, CT   06418
Telephone (203) 734-3443 (Voice)
786 Enfield Street
Enfield, Connecticut 06082
Telephone: (860) 745-8097 (Voice)
TTY (860) 899-3560
37 Marne Street
Hamden, Connecticut 06514
Telephone: (203) 859-3200 (Voice)
TTY (203) 859-3313
3580 Main Street
Hartford, Connecticut 06120
Telephone: (860) 256-3700 (Voice)
TTY (860) 256-3514
893 Main Street
Manchester,  CT  06040
Telephone: (860) 643-2222
85 West Main Street
Meriden, Connecticut 06451
Telephone: (203) 238-3688 (Voice)
TTY (203) 238-6145
260 Lafayette Street
New Britain, Connecticut 06053
Telephone: (860) 827-6200  (Voice)
TTY ( 860) 827-6246
560 Ella T. Grasso Blvd.
New Haven, CT   06519
Telephone:  (203) 867-4030
Shaw's Cove Six
New London, Connecticut 06320
Telephone: (860) 439-7400  (Voice)
TTY (860) 439-7414
113 Salem Turnpike
North Building, Suite 200
Norwich, Connecticut 06360
Telephone:  (860) 859-5777  (Voice)
TTY (860) 859-5613
1642 Bedford Street, 1st Floor
Stamford, CT  06095
Telephone: (203) 353-1702
K-MART Shopping Plaza
685 Main Street
Torrington, Connecticut 06790
Telephone: (860) 496-3300 (Voice)
TTY (860) 496-3355
249 Thomaston Avenue
Waterbury, Connecticut 06702
Telephone: (203) 437-3380 (Voice)
TTY (203) 437-3394
1320 Main Street (Tyler Square)
Willimantic, Connecticut 06226
Telephone: (860) 786-6200 (Voice)
TTY (860) 286-6211
GOVERNOR’S COMMITTEE ON EMPLOYMENT OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES distributes public awareness information about employment opportunities for people with disabilities and promotes increased awareness of the value of hiring people with disabilities. The Committee itself does not provide job placement services to people with disabilities. For more information, call (860) 263-6067 (Voice); or write to: Department of Labor, 200 Folly Brook Boulevard, Wethersfield, Connecticut 06109.
LIBRARY FOR THE BLIND AND PHYSICALLY HANDICAPPED lends books and magazines on diskette, cassette or in Braille. Playback equipment, such as tape recorders, is provided free of charge to any Connecticut adult or child who is prevented by a visual or physical disability from reading ordinary-size print. All materials are available by postage-free mail. Call or write to request an application and certification procedures. The Library is located at 198 West Street, Rocky Hill, Connecticut 06067. Telephone: (860) 721-2020 (Voice/TTY); toll-free: (800) 842-4516 (Voice/TTY).  Website: www.ctstatelibrary.org/organizational-unit/library-blind-physically-handicapped 
DEPARTMENT OF MENTAL HEALTH AND ADDICTION SERVICES (DMHAS) works to improve the quality of life of the people in Connecticut by providing an integrated network of comprehensive, effective and efficient mental health and addiction services that foster self-sufficiency, dignity and respect.
DMHAS promotes and administers comprehensive, recovery-oriented services in the areas of mental health treatment and substance abuse prevention and treatment throughout Connecticut.
While the Department’s prevention services are available to all Connecticut citizens, its mandate is to serve adults (over 18 years of age) with psychiatric or substance use disorders, or both, who lack the financial means to obtain such services on their own.  DMHAS also provides collaborative programs for individuals with special needs, such as: persons with HIV/AIDS infection, people in the criminal justice system, those with problem gambling disorders, pregnant women with substance abuse problems, persons with traumatic brain injury or hearing impairment, those with co-occurring substance abuse and mental illness, and adolescents transitioning out of the Department of Children and Families.
DMHAS operates on the belief that most people with mental illnesses and/or substance use disorders can and should be treated in community settings, and that inpatient treatment should be used only when absolutely necessary to meet the best interests of the individual.  Effective care requires that services such as residential, supportive, rehabilitative and crisis intervention programs are available within their local communities.
DMHAS’ Central Office is located at 410 Capitol Avenue, P.O. Box 341431, Hartford, Connecticut 06134. Telephone Number: (860) 418-7000 (Voice) or (860) 418-6707 (TTY). (Toll-free) 1 (800) 446-7348 (Voice) or 1 (888) 621-3551 (TTY). Website: www.ct.gov/dmhas
DEPARTMENT OF MENTAL RETARDATION – See Department of Developmental Services.
DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES (DMV) processes HANDICAPPED PARKING PERMIT applications (temporary and permanent). There is a $5.00 application fee for temporary permits. A permanent handicapped parking permit is valid for the same duration as your license or identification card; temporary permits are valid for no more than six months. Your physician must certify on the application form that your disability or medical condition qualifies you to receive a permit. To obtain an application form, call the Department of Motor Vehicles Office (860) 263-5700 (Within Hartford area or outside of Connecticut), 1 (800) 842-8222 (Elsewhere in Connecticut) or go to the Motor Vehicles Office nearest you. Website: www.ct.gov/dmv
THE CHILD ADVOCATE (Consolidated with the OFFICE OF GOVERMENTAL ACCOUNTABILITY (OGA)) was established in 1995 to protect the civil, legal and special rights of all the children in Connecticut, and to advance policies throughout the state that promote their well-being and best interests. For more information, call or write to the Child Advocate at 999 Asylum Ave. Hartford, Connecticut 06105 - Telephone: (860) 566-2106 (Voice/TTY) or toll-free: 1 (800) 994-0939 (Voice/TTY).  Website: www.ct.gov/oca
OFFICE OF THE HEALTHCARE ADVOCATE (OHA)-  The OHA assists with questions related to enrollment in healthcare coverage, understanding the referral and pre-authorization process. They also provide assistance with grievance processes and appealing denials.  Located  at:  OHA, 153 Market St, Hartford, CT, 06144.  Telephone: (Voice) (866) 466-4446.  Website: www.ct.gov/oha
OFFICE OF PROTECTION AND ADVOCACY FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES (P&A) is an independent State agency created to safeguard and advance the civil and human rights of people with disabilities in Connecticut by providing information, referral, consultation, organizing assistance to local groups, and various types and levels of advocacy assistance. Part of a nationwide network of protection and advocacy systems, P&A operates under both State and federal legislative mandates to: provide information, referral, and advocacy services; pursue legal and administrative remedies on behalf of people with disabilities who experience disability-related discrimination; conduct investigations into complaints from people with disabilities; and investigate allegations of abuse and neglect of adults who have intellectual disability (ages 18-59) and people in psychiatric facilities.  The agency also provides public education and training and informs policymakers about issues affecting people with disabilities. 
The Office of Protection and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities is located at 60-B Weston Street, Hartford, Connecticut 06120.  Telephone: (860) 297-4300 (Voice); (860) 297-4380 (TTY) or 1 (800) 842-7303 (Voice/TTY). Website: www.ct.gov/opapd e-mail: OPA-Information@ct.gov
OFFICE OF VICTIM ADVOCATE (OVA) (Consolidated with the OFFICE OF GOVERMENTAL ACCOUNTABILITY (OGA)) is dedicated to protecting the legal rights of anyone who has been a victim of a crime.  OVA provides oversight and advocacy when the criminal justice system fails a crime victim or his/her family and where it appears that a crime victim or his/her family may be in need of assistance. The OVA may receive and review complaints concerning the actions of any state office or entity and investigate those complaints where it appears that the crime victim or his/her family needs assistance.  This includes filing a special appearance in any court hearing for the purpose of advocating for a crime victim when his/her rights have been violated. OVA provides presentations for the public and works on legislation that supports crime victim’s rights. Contact the Office of the Victim Advocate at:  505 Hudson Street, 5th Floor, Hartford, CT  06106.  Telephone (860) 550-6632 or (888) 771-3126.  Website: www.ct.gov/ova
OFFICE OF VICTIM SERVICES (OVS) is charged with representing  victims of crimes in getting compensation for expenses incurred, including medical services and loss of earning power.  A person from the OVS will explain to a victim the various rights to restitution services, and will work to get him/her the return of personal property used to investigate the crime, and access to pertinent records and test results. It is  OVS’s duty to protect the victim from being fired, harassed or in any manner be retaliated against at work for attending court proceedings or for serving as a witness in a criminal case. Contact the OVS at 225 Spring Street, 4th Floor, Wethersfield, CT 06109 or call (860) 263-2760; (Voice) (800) 842-9710 (TTY) or (800) 822-8428 (Voice) e-mail: OVS@jud.ct.gov  Website: www.jud.ct.gov/crimevictim
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH (DPH) at 410 Capitol Ave., Hartford, CT 06134 protects the health and safety of the people of Connecticut and actively works to prevent disease and promote wellness through education and programs such as prenatal care, immunizations, AIDS awareness, supplemental foods, and cancer (mammography) screening. DPH also monitors infectious diseases, and environmental and occupational health hazards; regulates health care providers such as health facilities, health professionals, and emergency medical services; provides testing and monitoring support through the state laboratory; collects and analyzes health data to help plan policy for the future; and is the repository for all birth, marriage and death certificates.  Telephone: (860) 509-8000 (Voice); (860) 509-7191 (TTY). Website: www.ct.gov/dph
DPH Programs:
Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs  (CYSHCN) is a statewide program for children with chronic illness or disability. The program partners with community-based services to provide care coordination; resource linkages to support groups; agencies and other helpful services; educational support and respite funding when available. The CSHCN program can pay for medical services. For information, call Child Development Infoline at 1-(800) 505-7000 (Toll-free).
Connecticut Collaborative to Improve Autism Services  is a statewide collaborative effort sponsored by the Department of Public Health’s (DPH) Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs (CYSHCN) Program and the University of Connecticut Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities (UCEDD). Child Development Infoline (CDI) at 1-800-505-7000. Website: www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=3138&q=499610  

To file complaints related to health care professionals and facilities:

Consumer Complaints against licensed health care practicioner: e-mail: oplc.dph@ct.gov 1 (800) 842-0038 (Toll-free)

Consumer Complaints against licensed health care facilities
(860) 509-7400

Consumer Complaints against home health care agencies
1 (800) 828-9769 (Toll-free)
Public Utilities Regulatory Authority - (formerly DPUC is consolidated with the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP)) is statutorily charged with regulating to varying degrees the rates and services of Connecticut's investor owned, electricity, natural gas, water, and telecommunication companies and is the franchising authority for the state’s cable television companies.  In the industries that are still wholly regulated, the Authority must balance the public’s right to safe adequate and reliable utility service at reasonable rates with the provider’s right to a reasonable return on its investment.
The Customer Service Unit at the Public Utilities Regulatory Authority provides consumers with courteous, timely and high quality responses to their complaints and questions and equips them with the tools necessary to make informed choices in competitive utility markets, while protecting them from fraudulent, abusive, and deceptive practices. Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority, Ten Franklin Square, New Britain, Connecticut 06051.  Website: www.ct.gov/pura/
Telephone Phone Numbers
Consumer Services Unit Toll Free Number  - 1 (800) 382-4586
TTY Telecommunications for the Deaf - (860) 827-2837
Cell Phone Inquiries and Complaints -  (866) 381-2355
Department of Rehabilitation Services (DORS) oversees the following programs:
Bureau of Education and Services for the Blind (BESB) provides comprehensive, confidential services for persons of all ages who are legally blind. A person is legally blind if central visual acuity does not exceed 20/200 in the better eye with correcting lenses or if the visual field is restricted to an angle of 20 degrees or less. Services include: counseling and referral; preschool, elementary, secondary education; vocational rehabilitation; rehabilitation teaching; orientation and mobility instruction; small business enterprise; technology evaluation and training on adaptive equipment; employment options within an industrial setting; industries and sales; support groups; confidential registry of persons who are blind; prevention; consultation; and public education.  BESB is located at 184 Windsor Avenue, Windsor, Connecticut 06095 Telephone: 1 (800) 842-4510 (VOICE/TTY/Toll-free) or Hartford (860) 602-4000 (Voice). Website: www.ct.gov/besb
Connect-Ability brings employers together with individuals who have disabilities.  The aim is to  remove barriers and teach employers that employees with disabilities can join the work force  and succeed.  Toll-free: (866) 844.1903 . Website: www.connect-ability.com
Connecticut Tech Act Project is a program whose goal is to assure that all citizens with disabilities have access to necessary assistive technology. This is accomplished through public awareness, systems change activities, training, advocacy, and services to individuals. Call 1-(800) 842-4524 or (860) 424-4881 for more information.  Website:  www.cttechact.com
DORS Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (formerly COMMISSION ON THE DEAF AND HEARING IMPAIRED (CDHI)) serves individuals with hearing impairments. DORS Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services provides interpreting services, job counseling and placement, personal and family counseling, information and referral services, research and advocacy. CDHI is located at 67 Prospect Ave., 3rd Floor, Hartford, Connecticut 06106. General information and interpreting services: (860) 231-8756 (Voice/TTY) or Toll-free in Connecticut (800)-708-6796 (Voice/TTY). For emergency interpreting services after hours, call (860) 231-7623 (Voice/TTY). Telecommunication relay service may be used for both numbers. Website: www.cdhi.ct.gov
Disability Determination Services Unit is responsible for deciding eligibility for the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI) programs. These programs provide cash benefits to individuals who are unable to maintain employment due to the severity of their disabilities.  Telephone: (Toll-free) (800) 842-8320.
Independent Living Program a statewide network of community-based, consumer-controlled centers for independent living that provide services to assist persons with disabilities to live more independently.  Call toll-free: (800) 537-2549 or (860) 424-4844 (Voice) for more information. The list of Independent Living Centers.

MED-Connect allows people with disabilities to engage in employment without risking eligibility for needed medical services through the Medicaid program. The program also allows certain individuals to keep other necessary services needed to remain employed. In general, an eligible person with a disabling condition who is employed can qualify for Medicaid without the use of spend down while earning income in excess of traditional income limits. 
Vocational Rehabilitation helps individuals with physical and mental disabilities, prepare for, obtain, and maintain employment. Information on BRS services is available by contacting the BRS central office at (860) 424-4844 (Voice), (860) 424-4839 (TTY) or by calling the toll-free number 1-(800)-537-2549 (Voice) or (860) 424-4839 (TTY).
Work Incentives Planning and Assistance Program (WIPA) Community Work Incentive Coordinators help consumers  figure out how much going back to work would impact their federal and state benefits.  (Toll-free)  1 (800) 773-4636.
The DORS Central Office is located at 25 Sigourney, 11th floor, Hartford, CT 06106. Telephone  (860) 424-4844 or (Toll-free) 1 (800) 537-2549 (Voice)  or (860)424-4839 (TTY). Website:www.ct.gov/dors/
Offices of the Department of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
Central Office
25 Sigourney St., 11th Floor
Hartford, CT 06106
Telephone: (860) 424-4844
Fax: (860) 424-4850
Toll-Free in Connecticut: 
(800) 537-2549
TDD/TTY:  (860) 424-4839
Website: www.ct.gov/dors  
Southern Region
New Haven Office
414 Chapel Street, Suite 301,
New Haven, CT 06511
Telephone: (203) 974-3000
Fax:  (203) 789-7850
TTY:  (203) 974-3009
Middletown:  (860) 704.3079*
New London:  (860) 439.7686*
Norwich:  (860) 859.5720*
Northern Region
Hartford Office
3580 Main Street
Hartford, CT 06120
Telephone: (860) 723-1400
Fax: (860) 566-4766
TTY: (860) 723-1430/(860) 723-1395
Dayville:  (860) 779-2204*
Enfield:  (860) 741-2852*
Manchester: (860) 647-5960*
New Britain:  (860) 612-3569*
Western Region
Bridgeport Office
1057 Broad Street
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Telephone:  (203) 551-5500*
Fax: (203) 579-6903
Danbury:  (203) 207-8990*
Stamford:  (203) 251-9430*
Torrington:  (860) 496-6990*
Waterbury:  (203) 578-4550*
*Voice and TDD/TTY

DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SERVICES (DSS) serves families and individuals who need assistance in maintaining or achieving their full potential for self-direction, self-reliance, and independent living. The Department of Social Services’ Central Office is located at (new location) 55 Farmington Avenue, Hartford, CT  06105.  Telephone: (Toll-free) 1 (800) 842-1508 or 1 (800) 842-4524 (TTY).  Website: www.ct.gov/dss .
Department of Social Services Regional Office Locations
Northern Region
Hartford (860) 723-1000; (TTY) (860) 566-7913
Manchester (860) 647-1441; (TTY) (860) 647-5968
New Britain (860) 612-3400; (TTY) (860) 612-3569
Willimantic (860) 465-3500
Southern Region
Middletown (860) 704-3100
New Haven (203) 974-8000
Norwich (860) 823-5000
Western Region
Bridgeport (203) 551-2700; (TTY) 384-5399
Danbury (203) 207-8900
Stamford (203) 251-9300
Torrington (860) 496-6900
Waterbury (203) 597-4000
DSS operates many programs in the State of Connecticut including:
Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) Waiver, a Medicaid Waiver program, provides a range of non-medical, home and community based services, to assist adults who have an acquired brain injury (not a developmental or degenerative disorder) to live in the community.  Adults must be between the ages of 18 and 64 to apply, must be able to participate in the development of a service plan in partnership with a Department of Social Services social worker, or have a Conservator to do so, and must meet all technical, procedural and financial requirements of the Medicaid program, or the Medicaid for Employed Disabled program. An adult deemed eligible for the ABI Waiver, is eligible for all Medicaid covered services. Applications and information about the ABI Waivers are available at DSS offices throughout the state.
Adult Services provides home care services to eligible people with disabilities. Social workers coordinate planning and management of services to help clients stay independent in the community. Services include homemaker, housekeeper, chore person, adult companion, day care, and home-delivered meals.  Individuals must meet income and asset eligibility requirements.
Child Care Certificate Program provides monthly subsidies to eligible families to help them pay for child care.
Connecticut Respite Care Program offers respite services, information and support for families dealing Alzheimer’s disease and/or other related dementias. Phone: 1 (800) 994-9422.
Family Support Grant (FSG) provides a monthly subsidy of up to $250 ($3,000 annually) to a parent or other family member who has primary responsibility for a child with a developmental disability (age 5 through 18) other than an intellectual disability, in order to meet the extraordinary expenses of that child. Gross income cannot be greater than 140% of the previous year's median family income for Connecticut. The subsidy can be used for ongoing costs such as medical expenses, special equipment, medical transportation, and special clothing. There are 25 slots statewide for this program. The Department has established a waiting list. Persons interested in having their names added to the list may contact any of the Department's regional offices, or Social Work Services at (860) 424-5388, to obtain a Waiting List Request Form.
Fatherhood Initiative promotes the positive involvement and interaction of fathers with their children with an emphasis on children eligible, or formerly eligible for services funded by the temporary assistance for needy families block grant. For information, contact your local DSS office. Website: www.fatherhoodinitiative.state.ct.us
Food Stamp Program (now known as SNAP) is a federal program designed to give low-income households extra money to purchase food.  You can apply to the Social Security Office or at the Department for Social Services Office nearest to you.  (Toll-free) 1 (800) 843-1508.  Website:  www.ct.gov/dss/cwp.
Home and Community-Based Services is a state-funded program that provides non-medical homecare services as part of an overall case plan to assist adults with physical and/or mental disabilities, ages 18-64 inclusive, to live in the community. The program also provides these services for a family with a supervising relative who is temporarily incapacitated, unable to manage the household, or has a disability. Program services include: adult day care; adult companion; home delivered meals; case management; assistance with chores; case work; homemaker; temporary foster care; social work; teaching homemaker; and personal emergency response system. Eligibility depends on income levels related to Medicaid, asset levels related to SSI, certification of need by a physician or other appropriate healthcare professional, and a DSS social work assessment. Application is made by contacting your local DSS regional office.
Homecare helps older persons (65 or older) who are at risk for being institutionalized to get  the services they need so they can stay at home.  Services that are available include adult day healthcare, home healthcare, case management, home-delivered meals.  For more information and a functional and financial evaluation, call: 1-(800) 445-5394.  If the adult is found to meet the criteria, a community-based assessment will be performed that will allow him/her to remain at home.
Home Sharing Programs match single adults (at least one must be over the age of 60)  who are having a difficult time maintaining their homes because of financial, social or physical problems with other adults who need decent, affordable housing. The non-homeowner  makes financial contributions to household expenses and services as well as providing companionship. When a pair is compatible, employees for DSS help the couple draw up a home-sharing agreement and offer follow-up counseling.  Connecticut’s programs are located in New Haven: (203) 785.8533; Norwich: (860) 886-4736 or (Toll-free) 1 (800) 690-6998; and Newington: (860) 665-8778. 
Medicaid, also called Title XIX, is a federal program administered by the State of Connecticut, to provide medical coverage for eligible participants. The rules and regulations of the program are extremely complex. Anyone needing help with paying past, current or future medical expenses is encouraged to apply. Contact your nearest regional  DDS office.
Personal Care Assistant (PCA) Waiver is a Medicaid Waiver program that provides personal care assistance services to assist adults with chronic, severe, and permanent disabilities, to live in the community. Adults must be ages 18-64 to apply, must have significant need for hands on assistance with at least two activities of daily living (eating, bathing, dressing, transferring, toileting), must lack family and community supports to meet the need, and must meet all technical, procedural and financial requirements of the Medicaid program, or the Medicaid for Employed Disabled program. Eligible adults must be able to direct their own care and supervise private household employees, or have a Conservator to do so. An adult deemed eligible for the PCA Waiver, is eligible for all Medicaid covered services. An application may be obtained by contacting a Department of Social Services regional office.
Protective Services for the Elderly provides protective services for people aged 60 and over from abuse, neglect (including self-neglect), and exploitation. Crisis and social work intervention, counseling, safeguarding, advocacy and monitoring are among services provided by social workers after cases are referred by a state ombudsman. There is no income eligibility for initial referral. Contact: regional Department of Social Services (DSS) ombudsman or local DSS regional offices (Protective Services Unit).
Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB) and Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary (SLMB) Programs are federal and state funded programs that provide health care coverage and financial assistance by paying the cost of Medicare for eligible Medicare beneficiaries. QMB pays Medicare premiums, deductibles and co-payments to fill the gaps on Medicare coverage by eliminating out of pocket expenses. SLMB program pays the Medicare Part B premium. Both programs are administered by the Department of Social Services.
Security Deposit Guarantee Program guarantees landlords up to two months rent instead of an actual payment.  Households must meet certain eligibility requirements.
State Administered General Assistance (SAGA), also called City or Town Welfare, is a financial assistance program for individuals or households who do not have enough income or resources to meet basic living expenses and who cannot get immediate financial help from other government programs. Decision on each case must be made within ten calendar days of the date assistance was requested, and, if the individual or household is found to be eligible, assistance must be given by the eleventh day. Emergencies with food and medical needs must be met on the same day assistance is requested. For more information call: 1 (800) 658-4472.
State Supplement for the Aged, Blind and Disabled Program can provide monthly benefits to low-income individuals for basic living needs. Individuals may qualify for the State Supplement Program if their income is not enough to meet their basic needs and if they are at least 65 years old; or disabled and ages 18 to 64; or blind. To qualify, an individual must have other income, such as Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, Social Security retirement or disability benefits, a small pension or, in some cases, wages. For more information, visit www.ct.gov/dss, click on “Other Adults”, or call the local DSS office.  DSS offices are listed on page 9.  Toll-free Info Line: (800) 658-4472.
Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) (previously Aid to Families with Dependent Children, or AFDC) is a program funded by the state and federal governments to provide financial and medical assistance to eligible families. The TANF program is designed to enable very poor families to provide basic necessities for their children. TANF funds many programs of DSS. This program includes preventive services, and services to families, the elderly and people with disabilities and SNAP the new food stamp program; and energy assistance.  Info Line: (Toll-free) (800) 658-4472 Website:  www.ct.gov/dss/cwp
DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS’ AFFAIRS (VA) was established to provide an expanded, integrated, and coordinated program of services to Connecticut veterans and their families. The agency provides assistance to veterans, their spouses or eligible dependents in obtaining rights, benefits and privileges to which they may be entitled under federal, state and local laws. Counseling is provided to Connecticut veterans concerning the availability of educational training and retraining facilities, health, medical, rehabilitation, and housing facilities and services; services for veterans who may have been exposed to herbicide during military action; and VA benefits for nursing home care. The agency also assists in establishment, preparation, and presentation of claims to rights, benefits or privileges accrued to veterans. The Department of Veterans’ Affairs Central Office is located at 287 West Street, Rocky Hill, CT 06067. Telephone number: 1-866-928-8387 (toll-free in CT).  Website: www.ct.gov/ctva
Veterans’  Affairs District Offices
District 1 - 287 West Street, Building 7
Rocky Hill ,  Connecticut  06067
Phone: (860) 616-3600 (Voice/TTY)
District 2 – 100 Broadway
Norwich City Hall
Norwich, Connecticut  06360
Telephone: (860) 887-9162 (Voice/TTY)
District 3 - 487-B Campbell Avenue
West Haven, Connecticut  06516
Telephone: (203)  931-0460 (Voice/TYY)
District 4 – 75 Middle Street, 1st Floor
Bridgeport, Connecticut  06604
Telephone (203) 336-2570 (Voice/TTY)
District 5 -  Rowland State Government Center
55 West Main Street, Suite 140
Waterbury, Connecticut 06702
Telephone: (203) 805-6340
SOLDIERS’ SAILORS’ AND MARINES’ FUND provides temporary financial  assistance to veterans, who demonstrate a need for food, clothing, medical assistance, shelter and help with utility bills.  Applications may be filed through the American Legion Service Offices in the town in which the veteran resides or by calling (860) 296-0719 (Voice/TTY) or 1 (800) 491-4941 (toll-free, Voice/TTY). Branch offices are located throughout the state with the agency’s main headquarters located at 864 Wethersfield Avenue, Hartford, Connecticut 06114.  Website: www.ct.gov/ssmf
UNIVERSITY CENTER FOR EXCELLENCE IN DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES (formerly University Affiliated Programs) assists people of all ages with disabilities to access the support and services they need to live independently. The Center is a part of a federal system established in 1963 to address the needs of persons with disabilities through a coordinated program of interdisciplinary training, dissemination, outreach services, and applied research. The center promotes interdisciplinary collaboration across academic and community settings and serves as a resource for public policy development through the dissemination of research findings and information about best practices.  The agency, part of the University of Connecticut, is located at: 263 Farmington Avenue, MC6222, Farmington, Connecticut 06030. Telephone: (860) 679-1500 (Voice); (860) 679-1502 (TTY) and toll-free (866) 623-1315.  Website: www.uconnucedd.org
Municipal Disability Agencies

Office for Persons with Disabilities
45 Lyon Terrace
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Telephone: (203) 576-7574(Voice/TTY)
Website: www.bridgeportct.gov
Office for Persons with Disabilities
Town Hall, 611 Old Post Road
Fairfield, CT 06430
Telephone: (203) 256-3130 (Voice/TTY) 
Website: www.fairfieldct.org
Commission on Disability Issues
550 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103
Telephone: (860) 757.9785 (Voice/TTY)
Website: www.hartford.gov
Commission on Persons with Disabilities
27 West Main Street, New Britain, CT 06051
Telephone:  (860) 826-3366, (Voice);
Website: www.newbritainct.gov
Office for Persons with Disabilities
165 Church Street, New Haven, CT 06510
Telephone: (203) 946-7833 (Voice/TTY)
Website: www.cityofnewhaven.com
Commission on Persons with Disabilities
155 Deer Hill Avenue
Danbury, CT 06810 
Telephone:  (203) 796.8010
Website: www.ci.danbury.ct.us
Federal Agencies/National Organizations
Connecticut Office of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) - One Corporate Center, 20 Church St., 10th Floor, Hartford, CT 06103, Telephone: (Voice) 860-240-4800, (TTY) 860-240-4665, website: www.hud.gov  HUD’s mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all. HUD programs include, but are not limited to, subsidized housing, foreclosure assistance and housing discrimination investigations as well as complaints. The HUD Blue Book contains a complete listing of HUD properties in the state.
NATIONAL DISSEMINATION CENTER FOR CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES (NICHCY) (due to funding cuts this site will no longer be available after September 2014) is the national information and referral center that provides information on disabilities and disability-related issues for families, educators, and other professionals with a special focus is on children and youth (birth to age 22). NICHCY’s address is P.O. Box 1492, Washington, DC 20013. Telephone: 1 (800) 695-0285 toll-free, (Voice/TTY). Website: www.nichcy.org
NEW ENGLAND ADA CENTER facilitates voluntary and effective compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. The New England ADA Center is one of ten regional disability and business technical assistance centers funded by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR). The Center is a project of Adaptive Environments, Inc., a nonprofit organization. New England ADA Center is located at 180-200 Portland Street, First Floor, Boston, Massachusetts 02114.  Telephone: 1 (800) 949-4232 (toll-free Voice/TTY). Website: www.newenglandada.org
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE (DOJ) - CIVIL RIGHTS DIVISION - The primary goal of the Disability Rights section is to achieve equal opportunity for people with disabilities in the United States. Telephone:  (800) 514-0301 or (800) 514-0383 (TTY)   Website: www.ada.gov
U.S. EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY COMMISSION (EEOC) protects individuals from discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age or disability. Discrimination by employers with 15 or more employees is prohibited in all aspects of the hiring and employment process or any other terms, privileges or conditions of employment provided or imposed by the employer. More information about these programs may be obtained from your local town or city government. The EEOC can be contacted at 131 M Street NE, Washington, DC  20507.  Telephone:  (800) 669-4000 or (800) 669-6820 (TTY) for the field office near you. Website: www.eeoc.gov .
SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION administers programs for persons with disabilities who cannot work or are limited in their ability to work. Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) is paid to persons with disabilities who are unable to work due to a medically determinable physical or mental impairment which has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months, or whose disability will result in death. Certain children, adult children with disabilities, widows/widowers may be eligible for SSDI.  Check the blue pages of your phone book under “Social Security Administration” for the local Social Security office or call 1 (800) 722-1213 (toll-free).  Website: www.ssa.gov. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a federal income assistance program for the people who are elderly, blind, and/or disabled. Unlike Social Security Disability, SSI has limits on a recipient’s income and assets. Recipients may receive both Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income, if eligible for both. Check the blue pages of your phone book under “Social Security Administration” for the telephone number of the local Social Security office.  For additional information, contact Social Security at (800) 772-1213 (Voice), (800) 325-0778 (TTY) Website: www.ssa.gov
Disability Organizations/Resources
ADAPT (American Disabled for Attendant Programs Today) focuses on promoting services in the community instead of institutionalizing people with disabilities in special facilities and nursing homes. Attendant services help with daily living needs such as eating, dressing, toileting, and moving from wheelchair to bed and are the cornerstone to community based services for people with severe disabilities. On the national level, ADAPT has targeted the reallocation of one quarter of the federal and state Medicaid dollars from institutional programs to consumer controlled community based programs. Website: www.adapt.org
ADVOCACY UNLIMITED, INC., teaches advocacy skills to mental health consumers to empower them to play a central role in shaping the policies and services that affect their lives. Advocacy Unlimited is located at 300 Russell Road, Wethersfield, Connecticut 06109. Telephone: (860) 667-0460 or toll-free at (800) 573-6929. (Voice/TTY).  Website: www.mindlink.org
AFRICAN CARIBBEAN AMERICAN PARENTS (AFCAMP) is a parent-run organization whose purpose is to educate, inform and support African Caribbean American  parents whose children with disabilities receive special education services through the Hartford public school system. The AFCAMP Office is located at 60B Weston Street, Hartford, Connecticut 06120. Telephone: (860) 548-9959 (Voice) (860) 293-0557 (fax) Website: www.afcamp.org
AIDS/HIV RESOURSES AIDS PROJECTS These projects provide direct-service, community-based services that are run by mostly volunteers.  Services, which vary from project to project include: outreach and education; case management; meals-on-wheels; hotlines in English and Spanish; financial help; transportation, and housing.  There are support groups for people with HIV and for people with AIDS.  There are also support groups for caregivers.  Website: www.aids-ct.org
For more information about AIDS Projects, call the most local project listed below. The HIV/AIDS Hotline is: (800) 953-2371. Telephone: (860) 247-2437
AIDS Project of Greater Danbury.......(203) 778-2437
AIDS CT......................(860) 951-4833
Area Network on AIDS .....................(860) 646-6260
AIDS Project of Middlesex County .....(860) 344-3482
New Britain
AIDS Project of Greater New Britain .. (860) 225-6789
New Haven
AIDS Project New Haven...................  (203) 624-0947
AIDS Interfaith Network.................... (203) 624-4350
Hispanos Unidos Contra EI SIDA ....... (203) 781-0226
New London
Alliance for Living...............................(860) 447-0884
Mid-Fairfield AIDS Project...................(203) 855-9535
Evergreen Network.............................(203) 254-0511
Stamford Cares..................................(203) 977-5096
Northwestern CT AIDS Project  ...........(860) 482-1596
Windham AIDS Program.....................(860) 423-4534
ALZHEIMER’S ASSOCIATION’S mission is to raise the quality of life for everyone affected by Alzheimer’s.  It achieves it mission through advocacy, education and support systems.  There is a 24-hour hot line that available seven days a week that offers support and information. Telephone:  (800) 356-5502. Website: www.alz.org/ct  
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COALITION OF CONNECTICUT, INC. (ADACC), informs Connecticut citizens about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)  and works to foster voluntary compliance. It provides information, training, and technical assistance on rights and responsibilities under the ADA. Outreach strategies have been developed to ensure minority individuals with disabilities and their families understand the law. An alternative dispute resolution service provides an alternative to litigating ADA disputes. The ADACC Office is located at 60B Weston Street, Hartford, Connecticut 06120. Telephone: (860) 297-4383
formerly the Association for Retarded Citizens Connecticut, is a private, non-profit organization that advocates for full participation of people with intellectual disabilities in all aspects of community life. Services include residential services, vocational services, education, advocacy, and appropriate referral. For information, contact ARC Connecticut, 43 Woodlawn Street Suite 260, Hartford, CT 06105, (860)246-6400 (Voice). Website: www.thearcct.org  
BRAIN INJURY ALLIANCE Connecticut an agency helping people in Connecticut who have a brain injury and their families.  They provide case consultation, referral and advocacy services, educational prevention programs, in-service programs, and recreational social opportunities. For specific information and services, contact the agency: 200 Day Hill Road, Suite 250, Windsor, CT 06095, Telephone: (860) 219-0291.  Help Line 1 (800) 278-TBIA (8242). Website: www.biact.org  
Community Action Agencies are charged with the goal of meeting the needs of people with low-income. They do this by helping them obtain the skills and knowledge necessary for self-sufficiency.  The programs available through the state include job training, education, child care, energy assistance and weatherization.  The Community Action Agencies also offer housing, criminal justice and pre-trial intervention, community centers, mental health services, homeless services, and nutrition programs. Programs are available at the Community Action Agencies listed below:
Bridgeport ABCD
1070 Park Avenue  (203) 366-8241
Energy Assistance  (203) 384-6904
Bristol BCO
55 South Street     (860) 584-2725           
Energy  Assistance (203) 582-7490
Danbury CACD (Community Action Agency of Western CT, Inc.)
66 North Street      (203)  744-4700
Energy Assistance  (203) 748-5422
Danielson  Access
173 Mechanic Street (860) 774-0418
Energy Assistance (Willimantic)
(860) 450-7423
Derby TEAM
30 Elizabeth Street (203) 736-5420                 
Energy Assistance   (203) 736-5420
Hartford CRT
555 Windsor Street (860) 560-5600
Energy Assistance   (860) 560-5730
Jewett City TVCCA
One Sylandale Road (860) 889-1365
Energy Assistance (Norwich) (860) 889-1365
Meriden New Opportunities
191 Pratt Street (203) 235-0278
Energy Assistance (203) 235-0278
Middletown CRT
44 Hamlin Street (860) 347-4465
Energy Assistance (860) 347-4465
New Britain HRA
180 Clinton Street (860) 225-8601
Energy Assistance (860) 223-2288
New Haven CAANH
781 Whalley Avenue (203) 387-7700
Energy Assistance  (203)  387-7700
New London TVCAA
83 Huntington Street (860) 444-0006
Energy Assistance (860)889-1365           
Norwalk NEON
98 South Main Street (203) 899-2420
Energy Assistance (203)  899-2484
Stamford CTE
34 Woodland Avenue(203) 327-3260
Energy Assistance (203) 352-4846
Waterbury New Opportunities
232 North Elm Street (203) 575-9799
Energy Assistance (203) 756-8151
Willimantic Access (The Community Action Agency (Access)
1315 Main Street (860) 450-7400
Energy Assistance (860) 450-7400
CENTER FOR MEDICARE ADVOCACY, INC., is a national non-profit, non-partisan organization that provides education, advocacy, and legal assistance to help elders and people with disabilities obtain Medicare and necessary healthcare. The Center focuses on the needs of Medicare beneficiaries, people with chronic conditions, and those in need of long-term care. The organization is involved in writing, education, and advocacy activities of importance to Medicare beneficiaries nationwide. The Center's national office is in Connecticut, with offices in Washington, DC and throughout the country. The Center's staff act as consultants and trainers for groups that are interested in learning about healthcare rights, Medicare coverage and appeals, or in developing Medicare advocacy projects. For assistance with a Medicare or health care access problem, write or call the Center, P.O. Box 350, Willimantic, CT 06226: (800) 456-7790 (toll-free) or (860) 456-7790. Website: www.medicareadvocacy.org
CHRONIC FATIGUE IMMUNE DEFICIENCY & FIBROMYALGIA ASSOCIATION (CFIDS) publishes a quarterly newsletter, provides information and referrals  to persons living with CFIDS, Chronic Epstein Barr Virus or Fibromyalgia. For more information, contact Connecticut CFIDS Association, Inc. P.O. Box 3010, Milford, Connecticut 06460  (800) 952-2037 (Voice/TTY).  Website: www.ct-cfids-fm.org
CONNECTICUT ASSOCIATION OF THE DEAF (CAD) is an organization of concerned citizens who promote the best interests of people who are deaf or hard of hearing in Connecticut. For more information, write to Connecticut Association of the Deaf, P.O. Box 207589, West Hartford, Connecticut 06127-0589. Interpreter: (866) 351-1959 Website:  www.deafcad.org
CONNECTICUT ASSOCIATION OF PRIVATE SPECIAL EDUCATION FACILITIES (CAPSEF) is an association of private schools that provide quality, cost effective special education and related services to the special needs children and adolescents, featuring individualized academic, behavioral, social and vocational programs.  330 Main St, Hartford, CT 06106; Telephone: (860) 525-1318; Website:  www.capsef.org
CONNECTICUT AUTISM RESOURCE AND EDUCATION ALLIANCE (CARE) was established in May 2004 as a non-profit, donor-funded corporation dedicated to providing young children with autism, their families, caregivers, and service providers with intervention opportunities, as well as information, and materials needed to develop, maintain and manage successful intensive intervention programs. The primary goals of CARE Alliance are providing the funding for educational opportunities for young children with autism spectrum disorder and training for parents, caregivers, and service providers in intensive, extensive autism intervention methods. The CARE Alliance is located at P.O. Box 5, Marlborough, CT, 06447 Telephone: (860) 918-0283.
CONNECTICUT AUTISM SPECTRUM RESOURCE CENTER (ASRC) is a non-profit organization committed to raising public awareness about autism spectrum disorders and devoted to empowering families and lessening their isolation. They are dedicated to educating families, professionals and the general public to the many strengths that people with ASD have and to promote the respect that they deserve. 101 North Plains Industrial Road. Harvest Park, Wallingford, CT 06492. Telephone:(203) 265-7717; Website www.autismconnecticut.org
CONNECTICUT FAMILY SUPPORT NETWORK is a network of families who have children with disabilities. They are parents interested in helping other parents to find the supports they need. The Network was created by the Connecticut Family Support Council, a legislatively established partnership of parents and professionals working to improve supports for families of children with disabilities.
Contact your local Family Support Coordinator:

Statewide Coordinator:
Tesha Imperati
Northeast Region:
Heather Graveline
Southeast Region:
April Dipollina
(860) 271-4371
Northwest Region:
Trish Butler
North Central Region:
Bernetta Henry
(860) 297-4358
South Central Region:
Deborah Pagano
Southwest Region:
Karleen Cradduck
Children with Special Health Care Needs Coordinator:
Laura Knapp

CT-KASA The Connecticut chapter of Kids As Self Advocates (CT-KASA) is a grassroots network of youth with special needs and their friends, speaking on behalf of themselves.  As leaders in our communities,  CT-KASA members help to spread  information among peers to increase knowledge around various disability issues including: living with special healthcare needs, healthcare transition, education, and employment. Contact: CT-KASA, 263 Farmington Ave., MC622, Farmington, CT 06030; Telephone: (860) 679-1561, (860) 679-1502 (TTY) . 

CONNECTICUT LIFESPAN RESPITE COALITION, Inc.  (CLRC) is a nonprofit organization that seeks to bring people and organizations together to develop a coordinated system to address respite needs, regardless of the age, race, ethnicity, special needs or situation of the care recipient.  For more information, contact CLRC, 1845 Silas Deane Highway, Rocky Hill, CT  06067  call: (860) 513-0172 or toll free 877-737-1966 Website: www.ctrespite.org

CONNECTICUT PARENT ADVOCACY CENTER, INC. (CPAC), is a statewide nonprofit organization established to inform parents of children with disabilities about special education rights and procedures, and to provide information and referral services for any problems related to the education and welfare of their children. Services include workshops for parents, in-service training for professionals, a newsletter, resource collection and individual assistance. Spanish-speaking staff is available. The Center is located at 338 Main Street, Niantic, Connecticut 06357. Telephone: (860) 739-3089 or (800) 445-2722 (toll-free).  Website: www.cpacinc.org

CONNECTICUT RADIO INFORMATION SYSTEM (CRIS) broadcasts readings 24 hours a day from local and national newspapers, and current magazines. CRIS special radios are provided at no charge to listeners who have a visual, physical or learning disability that prevents them from reading conventional print information. Contact CRIS, 315 Windsor Avenue, Windsor, Connecticut 06095. Telephone: (860) 527-8000 or
(800) 708-0004.  Website: www.crisradio.org

CONSUMER CREDIT COUNSELING SERVICE OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND (CCCS) is a private, nonprofit counseling agency licensed by the state Department of Banking, affiliated with the National Foundation for Consumer Credit. CCCS provides confidential counseling; money management and budgeting skills; and debt repayment planning assistance. For more information, call toll free 1-866-889-9347 (Voice/TTY). Website www.creditcounseling.org

CORPORATION FOR INDEPENDENT LIVING (CIL) provides an array of services including home modifications, group home development and affordable housing development. CIL is located at 157 Charter Oak Avenue, Hartford, CT  06106. Telephone: (860) 563-6011. Website: www.cilhomes.org

ECOLOGICAL HEALTH ORGANIZATION (ECHO) is a statewide non-profit organization that provides advocacy, support resources, education and referral services for people with multiple chemical sensitivity and others who are interested in its prevention. For more information, call: (570) 472-0374.  Website: www.echomcsct.homestead.com

EPILEPSY FOUNDATION OF CONNECTICUT is a statewide non-profit organization that provides information and referrals, education programs, summer camp for children with epilepsy, support services, and advocacy. For more information, write or call the Foundation at 386 Main Street, Middletown, CT  06457.   Telephone: (860) 346-1924 or (800) 899-3745 Website: www.epilepsyct.com E-mail EFCT@sbcglobal.net

FAVOR is a family advocacy organization for children’s mental health.  The family advocates work within a network of family members, parent organizations and other advocates who provide a variety of multicultural and educational opportunities and resources.  They work together to improve services and support for children and families through individual advocacy system change and legislative agendas.  FAVOR, Inc., 185 Silas Deane Highway, Wethersfield, CT  06109-1219. FAVOR can be reached at (860) 563-3232.  Website: www.favor-ct.org

HISPANIC HEALTH COUNCIL is committed to improving the health and social well-being of Puerto Rican/Latinos and other underserved communities through community-based research, direct services, training and advocacy. For more information, call or write the Hispanic Health Council at 175 Main Street, Hartford, CT  06106. Telephone: (860) 527-0856. Website: www.hispanichealth.com
HOUSING EDUCATION RECOURSE CENTER (HERC) provides a variety of services including a Foreclosure Prevention Counseling Program, tenant/landlord counseling and information regarding a wide variety of housing topics. HERC, 901 Wethersfield Ave., Hartford, CT 06114, Telephone: (860) 296-4372. Website:  www.herc-inc.org

INDEPENDENT LIVING CENTERS (ILCs) are private, non-profit service programs that assist persons with disabilities to achieve their maximum independence and control of their lives and to develop skills to live and work in the community. The four core services are advocacy, information and referral, peer counseling and skills training. The following is a list Connecticut’s Independent Living Centers:
Center for Disability Rights
764-A Campbell Avenue
West Haven, Connecticut 06516
Telephone: (203) 934-7077 (Voice)
(203) 934-7078 (TTY) 
Access Independence
80 Ferry Boulevard, Suite 205
Stratford, Connecticut 06615;
Telephone: (203) 378-6977 (Voice/TTY) 
Disabilities Network of Eastern Connecticut (DNEC)
19 Ohio Avenue
Norwich, CT  06360
Telephone: (860) 823-1898 (Voice)
(860) 237-4515 Video Phone
Independence Northwest
1183 New Haven Road, Suite 200
Naugatuck, Connecticut 06770
Telephone: (203)  729-3299
Independence Unlimited
151 New Park Avenue, Suite D
Hartford, Connecticut 06106
(860) 523-5021 (Voice/TTY)
INFOLINE 211 is a free, help-by telephone service for information, referral, and crisis intervention that is easily accessed from anywhere in Connecticut by dialing 2-1-1.  Trained professionals help callers find information, discover options, or deal with a crisis by locating hundreds of services in their community on many different issues including those of interest to persons with disabilities.
For example, Infoline offers information and referral about disability counseling and support groups, assistive technology purchase and repair, in-home and respite care, case management services, developmental assessments, legal/advocacy/disability rights groups, home modification and barrier removal, and supportive living and employment programs. 
Infoline operates 24 hours a day, has multilingual caseworkers on staff, and is TTY accessible.  Infoline is a service of the United Way and the State of Connecticut.  Telephone:  211  (Voice/TTY) or (800) 203-1234 (toll-free Voice/TTY). Website: www.211ct.org
INMATES LEGAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (ILAP) provides legal assistance to inmates in civil matters involving terms and conditions of their confinement only.    ILAP, 78 Oak St, P.O. Box 260237, Hartford, CT 06126.  Telephone: (Voice) (860) 246-1118, (Toll free) 800-301-4527.
JOBS ACCOMODATION NETWORK (JAN) provides free assistance with disability employment issues and accommodations. They also provide guidance on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and related legislation as well as self-employment and entrepreneurship options for people with disabilities. Telephone: (Voice) 800-526-7234, (TTY) 877-781-9403.  Website: www.askjan.org
MASHANTUCKET PEQUOT TRIBAL NATION VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION SERVICES (MPTN-VR) provides culturally sensitive Vocational Rehabilitation services to state or federally recognized Native Americans with disabilities residing in Connecticut and Rhode Island in order to assist them to prepare for, find or maintain appropriate employment.  Traditional Native American services are provided in coordination with the vocational rehabilitation services. Traditional services include, but are not limited to: Sweat Lodge, Smudging, Talking Circle, Prayer, Social Events, and Traditional Lifestyle.  For further information  contact: Vocational Rehabilitation Program Tribal Health Services; P.O. Box 3310; Mashantucket, CT 06338-3310; Office: (860) 396-2281; Toll-Free: (860) 399-1122; Fax: (860) 396-2282.

NATIONAL ALLIANCE OF THE MENTALLY ILL OF CONNECTICUT, INC. (NAMI-CT) is a statewide organization for the families, friends and individuals living with serious mental illness. NAMI provides support, education, information and advocacy. For more information, please call (860) 882-0236 or 1 (800) 215-3021.  NAMI is located at 576 Farmington Avenue, Hartford, CT 06105. Website:  www.namict.org  

NATIONAL MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS SOCIETY – CONNECTICUT CHAPTER is committed to empowering people with multiple sclerosis to live as independently as possible to the maximum of their capabilities within the least restrictive environment.  The M.S. Society is a non-profit organization supporting research that examines the cause, prevention and treatment of MS, as well as the quality and scope of health services for people with M.S. For information, contact the Connecticut Chapter, 659 Tower Avenue, First Floor, Hartford, CT  06112. Telephone  (860) 913-2550.  Website: www.nationalmssociety.org/chapters/CTN/index.aspx

NATIONAL ORGANIZATION ON FETAL ALCOHOL SYNDROME (NOFAS) is dedicated to eliminating birth defects caused by alcohol consumption during pregnancy and to improving the quality of life for individuals and families. NOFAS Telephone number: 1 (800) 66-NOFAS.  Website: www.nofas.org

NATIONAL SPINAL CORD INJURY ASSOCIATION–CONNECTICUT CHAPTER Chapter members work with local agencies to develop better programs and services for people with spinal cord injuries and act as community advocates for improved access, housing, transportation, employment and leisure time activities for individuals with disabilities. Peer support and other services are also provided. For information on the Connecticut Chapter, call (203) 284-2910. Website: www.sciact.org.

NEW ENGLAND ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY CENTER (NEAT) is a demonstration and an equipment restoration center.  It is a place to learn about products and equipment that assist people with day to day activities they have trouble doing themselves, either because of disability or age.  The public may also donate or purchase equipment.  NEAT also offers workshops on various assistive technology topics.  Contact NEAT at 120 Holcomb Street, Hartford, Connecticut 06112.  Telephone:  (860) 243-2869 or toll-free at (866) 526-4492 (Voice), (860) 286-3113 (TTY/Voice).  Website:  www.neatmarketplace.org

NONVERBAL LEARNING DISORDERS ASSOCIATION (NLDA) is an international non-profit corporation committed to facilitating education, research and advocacy for children and adults who have disabilities associated with nonverbal learning disorders.  Contact NLDA at 507 Hopmeadow Street, Simsbury 06070.  Telephone:  (860) 658-5522.  Website: www.nlda.org

PADRES ABRIENDO PUERTAS or Parents Opening Doors (PAP) is the only community-based organization in the State of Connecticut solely devoted to opening doors of opportunity to Latino children by guaranteeing access to quality education and mental health services. They foster the human, civil and educational rights and total community inclusion of Latino children with developmental disabilities and mental health issues. The PAP Office is located at 60 B Weston Street, Hartford, Connecticut 06120.  For more information, call (860) 297-4391 (Voice) or (860) 297-4380 (TTY). 

PEOPLE FIRST OF CONNECTICUT is a non-profit, self-advocacy organization for individuals with developmental disabilities. Local chapters regularly meet around the state.  Contact People First of Connecticut at: 43 Woodland Street, Hartford, CT  06105.  For more information, call (860) 250-0890. Website: www.peoplefirstct.org
PROPERTY TAX ABATEMENT - Individuals with disabilities may qualify for reduced property taxes through their town. Contact your town's tax office to find out what is available in your area.
SALVATION ARMY offers many services at various centers throughout Connecticut. The services include Family Shelter, The Right Place School Readiness &  Family Resources Center, Food and Clothing Bank, Adult Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Center, Grandparents’ Support Groups, Young Parents Program, Girls, Inc., Food for Life Pantries, Senior Center, Camp CONNRI, CONNRI Lodge Retreat & Conference Center, Homeless Prevention Program, and After School Programs.  The Salvation Army runs thrift stores, soup kitchens, feeding and nutrition programs and other services.  Divisional Office:  855 Asylum Avenue, Hartford, CT.  Telephone: (860) 702-0000.

Legal Assistance
AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION OF CONNECTICUT (ACLU-CT) is a non-partisan, non-profit membership organization whose mission is to assure that the Bill of Rights and the rights guaranteed by the Connecticut Constitution are preserved for each new generation. The ACLU-CT accomplishes these goals through legislative advocacy, litigation, grassroots organizing and public education on a broad array of issues affecting our liberties. The ACLU-CT is one of 53 affiliates of the American Civil Liberties Union nationwide.  They can be contacted at: 330 Main Street, First Floor,  Hartford, Connecticut  06106. Telephone: (860) 523-9146. Website: www.acluct.org

CENTER FOR CHILDREN’S ADVOCACY, UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT SCHOOL OF LAW is a non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion and protection of the legal rights of poor children who are dependent on a variety of Connecticut systems – Judicial, Child Welfare, Health, Mental Health, Education and Juvenile Justice.  Based at the University of Connecticut School of Law, the Center’s twin missions are to provide holistic legal services to children in their communities and to improve quality of legal representation of children through interdisciplinary models and training programs.  They are located at:  65 Elizabeth Street, Hartford, Connecticut 06105. (860) 570-5327 Website: www.kidscounsel.org

CHILDREN’S LAW CENTER OF CONNECTICUT, Inc. (CLC) is a non-profit agency that provides indigent children with experienced lawyers who give them a Voice in family court. CLC also provides information in legal matters involving children, and advocates in support of legislative policies that advance the well-being and best interests of children. The Center is located at:  30 Arbor Street, Fourth Floor North Building, Hartford, CT  06106.Telephone: (860) 232-9993; (888) 529-3667.  Website:  www.clcct.org

CONNECTICUT LEGAL RIGHTS PROJECT (CLRP) is an independent, non-profit agency that advocates for low-income adults who have or are perceived to have a psychiatric disability. CLRP’s attorneys and legal advocates provide services ranging from brief advice to full legal representation with legal problems related to: services and/or treatment from mental health or other providers, enforcement of rights guaranteed by State or Federal law such as due process, non-discrimination, and informed consent, administrative and judicial procedures such as grievances, conservatorships, commitments, and medication hearings. For more information call: 1-877-402-2299 (V/TTY) TTY (860) 262-5066. Website: www.clrp.org  

CONNECTICUT LEGAL SERVICES, CONSUMER LAW PROJECT for ELDERS (CLS) was created to provide comprehensive, current information on elder law, government programs and legal assistance for residents of Connecticut age 60 and older. (800) 296-1467. 

CONNECTICUT WOMEN’S EDUCATION AND LEGAL FUND (CWEALF) is a statewide non-profit organization dedicated to empowering women, girls and their families to achieve equal opportunities in their personal and professional lives.  Since 1973, CWEALF has utilized legal and public policy strategies and provided community education to promote gender equity and end sex discrimination at individual and societal levels. They can be reached at: One Hartford Square West, Suite 1-300 Hartford, CT 06106 telephone:  (860) 247-6090, Fax (860) 524-0705
Website: www.cwealf.org

LAWYER REFERRAL SERVICES, a project of the Connecticut Bar Association, can suggest a private attorney who, for a nominal consultation fee, will assess a case and provide an estimate of charges.  Website: www.ctbar.org   Area Offices are listed below:
Fairfield: (203) 335-4116        
Hartford: (860) 525-6052   
New London: (860) 889-9384
New Haven: (203) 562-5750 
QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW LEGAL CLINIC provides assistance with civil, health, family, and federal income tax matters.  They can be reached at:  275 Mount Carmel Avenue, Hamden, Connecticut 06518. Telephone: (203) 582-3238 Website: www.quinnipiac.edu/academics/colleges-schools-and-departments/school-of-law

STATEWIDE LEGAL SERVICES provides free civil legal services to income-eligible people, in the form of direct representation in crisis situations, advice, referrals, and legal self-help materials. Assistance is provided in a variety of areas of law including the following: housing, family, special education, entitlements, energy assistance, Medicare, Social Security Disability, and the rights of elderly people and people with disabilities. Statewide Legal Services screens cases for all legal assistance programs in the state, providing brief services and advice, community education materials, and when appropriate, referrals to local legal services offices for all non-criminal related matters. For information, call Statewide Legal Services at 1 (800) 453-3320 (Voice/TTY);  (860) 344-0380 or (860) 247-4400. Spanish-speaking staff available.  Website: www.slsct.org

THE CONNECTICUT FAIR HOUSING CENTER, INC., is a statewide, private, non-profit organization dedicated to removing barriers to housing choices.  They provide information, education, and training on fair housing laws; investigation, and testing of discrimination complaints; attorney referrals; technical assistance; research; and consulting services. The office is located at 221 Main Street, 4th Floor, Hartford, CT  06106. Telephone:  (888) 247-4401. Website: www.ctfairhousing.org

UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT SCHOOL OF LAW LEGAL CLINIC represents indigent individuals in criminal matters, asylum, human rights, mediation, intellectual property and tax.  The office is located at 45 Elizabeth Street, Hartford, Connecticut 06105 Telephone:  (860) 570-5165. Website: www.law.uconn.edu/academics/clinical-education
YALE UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL CLINIC links law students with individuals in need of legal help who cannot afford private attorneys.  Yale Law School,  P.O. Box 209090, New Haven, Connecticut 06520-8215.  Telephone:  (203) 432-4800. Website: www.law.yale.edu/academics/clinicalopportunities.htm

Support Groups and Other Useful Resources
2080 Silas Deane Highway; 2nd Floor; Rocky Hill, CT  06067
Telephone: (203) 639-0385  
Website:  www.diabetes.org for local contact.

Arthritis Foundation Connecticut Office
35 Cold Springs Road – Suite 411, Rocky Hill, Connecticut 06067
Telephone:  (860) 563-1177 or toll-free (800) 541-8350.
Website: www.arthritis.org/connecticut/
Bridgeport Child Advocacy Coalition
2470 Fairfield Avenue, Bridgeport, Connecticut 06605
Telephone: (203) 549-0075
Website: www.bcacct.org/main
Connecticut Association of Centers for Independent Living (CACIL)
151 New Park Avenue,  Hartford CT 06106
Telephone: (860) 523-5021 or (800) 261-3769
Website: www.cacil.net
Connecticut Families for Effective Autism Treatment (FEAT)
P.O. Box 370352, West Hartford, Connecticut 06137-0382
Telephone: (860) 571-3888
Website: www.ctfeat.org
Connecticut Family Voices - PATH Parent to Parent of CT
Parents Available to Help, Inc.; P.O. Box 117; Northford, CT  06472. Telephone: 1 (800) 399-PATH (toll-free CT only)  Website: www.pathct.org
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation CT Chapter - 101 Centerpoint Drive; Suite 107; Middletown, CT  06457; Telephone: (860) 632-7300  Website: www.cff.org
Juvenile Diabetes Foundation (JDRF)  Website: www.jdrf.org for local chapter.
LLS Connecticut Chapter - Main Office
372 Danbury Road, Suite 200
Wilton, CT  06897
(203) 665-1400
Website: www.lls.org
Mental Health Association of Connecticut
61 South Main Street, West Hartford, Connecticut 06109
Telephone: 1 (800) 842-1501 (toll-free CT only) (860) 529-1970
Website: www.mhact.org
Muscular Dystrophy Association
140 Eastern Boulevard
Glastonbury, Connecticut 06033
Telephone: (860) 777-1273
Website: www.mda.org
National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut
477 Connecticut Blvd, Suite 217,  East Hartford, CT 06108
Telephone: (860) 289-1971
Website: www.nfb.org
National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD)
55 Kenosia Avenue, Danbury, Connecticut 06810
Telephone: Toll free: (800) 999-6673 (Voicemail only) TTY Number: (203) 744-0100
Prader-Willi Syndrome Association (USA)
Telephone: (800) 926-4797
Website: www.pwsausa.org
Spina Bifida Association of Connecticut
P.O. Box 2545, Hartford, Connecticut 06146
Telephone: 1 (800) 574-6274 (toll-free).
Website: www.sbac.org
Tourette Syndrome Association (national)
Telephone: (718) 224-2999;
Website: www.tsa-usa.org
Website: www.ucpect.org/
Was this information helpful?

Content Last Modified on 2/17/2015 4:15:20 PM