Connecticut’s STEP Grant Program
The State Trade and Export Promotion (STEP) grant initiative, launched under the Small Business Jobs Act of 2010, is a pilot grant program authorizing up to $90 million in grants to the states and U.S. territories over three years to help increase the number of small businesses that export, and increase the value of exports for small businesses that are currently exporting.
The Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) will use STEP grant funding to assist eligible small businesses with participation in regional and industry focused export opportunities and international business development opportunities. DECD works with federal and in-state partner organizations to identify and coordinate CT STEP-approved events with the goal of showcasing the strengths of key Connecticut markets, and expanding the global footprint of the state and its participating companies.
STEP Grant Contact Information:
Department of Economic and Community Development
505 Hudson Street
Hartford, Connecticut, 06106
STEP Project DirectorLaura.Jaworski@ct.gov
For all inquiries contact:Aaron Knight
STEP FY 2011 Program Highlights
STEP General Assistance Fund:
- Hannover Messe 2014, Hannover, Germany, April 8-12, (closed)
- Farnborough Air Show 2014, Farnborough, UK, July 14-18 (open)
- Medica 2014, Dusseldorf, Germany, November 12-15, (pending)
- "Unique Issues in Shipping to and from China" - CT China Council, April 22, 8-10am
- USDOC Export Webinars
Funded in part through a
Cooperative Agreement with
the U.S. Small Business
How Do I Apply?
- Open application periods will be coordinated with our event partners. The actual application process may vary slightly with each STEP event but the same eligibility documents noted above in eligibility guidelines
will be required. For further instructions on how to apply during an open application period click on the "(open)" link provided with each corresponding event.
How Does the STEP Program Work?
- CT STEP reimbursement grants are available to participating "eligible small business concerns" at CT STEP-approved events. CT STEP reimbursements are used to offset registration/participation costs of CT STEP approved events. Reimbursements are not available for travel or lodging during these events.
What is the STEP Export General Assistance Fund Round 2 (GAF 2)?
- General Assistance Fund Round 2 aims to provide STEP funding to eligible small businesses for participation in export opportunities. The program goal is to aid companies in expanding their export initiatives and to increase eligible Connecticut companies; export sales by spurring participation in these export opportunities. For more detail, please review the GAF2 Program Guidelines
How Do I Receive Future STEP Notifications?
- All program announcements including open application periods, new STEP events and other STEP funding opportunities will be published on this page. If you would like to have STEP notifications emailed to you directly please submit a request here