The Office of the Permit Ombudsman
Section 3 of Public Act 10-158 requires the Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) commissioner to establish an office for expeditiously reviewing applications for state licenses and permits. The office will coordinate and expedite permits and approvals with the departments of Energy & Environmental Protection, Transportation and Public Health for projects that:
- create at least 50 permanent, full-time equivalent jobs in any of the state's 17 enterprise zones or at least 100 such jobs in non-enterprise zone communities;
- redevelop a brownfield site;
- are compatible with the state's responsible growth initiatives;
- develop a mix of different but compatible uses near transportation facilities and infrastructure (i.e., transit-oriented development); or
- develop green technology businesses.
The commissioner may provide expedited reviews for other types of projects based on their "economic impact factors."
Permit applications for projects involving the following activities are explicitly excluded from expedited review:
- final disposal sites for solid, biomedical, or hazardous wastes;
- produce electricity, unless the production is incidental and not the project's primary function;
- extract natural resources;
- produce oil; or
- construct, maintain, or operate an oil, petroleum, natural gas, or sewerage pipeline.
For further information please review the following fact sheet.
Point of Contact:
DECD Permit Ombudsman
a. Energy and Environmental Protection
b. Public Health
The Connecticut Licensing Info Center
and the Smart Start
business assistance service streamlines the state's business licensing and registration process for new, expanding and relocating businesses. Information about business requirements and application forms are available online at CT-CLIC.com
, while personal assistance is available during business hours through the Smart Start office. Smart Start partners with Connecticut's Business Response Center which provides information and referrals for government, regional and private programs to support business development. Services are offered at no cost to customers. Contact the office at 800-392-2122 or firstname.lastname@example.org