DSS: Vocational Rehabilitation Program

Vocational Rehabilitation Program


State of Connecticut
Department of Social Services
Bureau of Rehabilitation


Bureau of Rehabilitation Services
25 Sigourney St. - 11th Floor
Hartford, CT 06106

Toll-free Information:
(860) 424-4844 (V)
(860) 424-4839 (TDD/TTY)

October 2000


What is the Vocational Rehabilitation Program?

Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) is a program of the Bureau of Rehabilitation Services which assists persons with significant physical or mental disabilities to prepare for, find or keep a job.


Who is served by the Vocational Rehabilitation Program?

The VR program serves eligible individuals who have physical and/or mental conditions which have a significant impact on their ability to enter or maintain employment. The VR program serves persons with all disabilities except legal blindness. Individuals who are legally blind receive vocational rehabilitation services through the Board of Education and Services for the Blind (BESB), 184 Windsor Ave., Windsor, CT 06095; (860) 602-4000 or (800) 842-4510.


How do I know if the Vocational Rehabilitation Program can assist me?

Contact the BRS office closest to your home, or call (800) 537-2549. You will talk to staff who can discuss your situation and answer your questions about vocational rehabilitation. Some BRS offices offer orientation sessions which provide more detailed information about the VR program. It is important to understand vocational rehabilitation before you apply for services.


How do I find out if I am eligible for the Vocational Rehabilitation Program?

If you apply for vocational rehabilitation, you will be asked to provide information about your medical condition and how it affects your ability to find and/or keep a job. With your vocational rehabilitation counselor, you will also review your employment and educational history. This and other information you provide will help your counselor determine if you are eligible for the VR program. To be eligible:

(1) you must have a disability, that is, you have a physical or mental condition which poses a substantial barrier to employment; AND

(2) you must require VR services to prepare for, find and succeed in employment, with a priority on a paid job in the competitive labor force.

When resources are limited, the law requires that BRS first provide services to persons with the most significant disabilities. This is called an Order of Selection. The significance of a personís disability is determined by looking at the limitations caused by the disability, and the services the person needs as a result. Persons whose disabilities are not found to be "significant" may not receive services, even though they meet the eligibility criteria above. Your VR counselor can give you more detailed information about how this decision is made.

If your counselor needs more specific information about your disability and its impact on your ability to work, you may be asked to participate in medical, psychiatric, psychological or other types of evaluations. If you are asked to have such tests, your counselor will explain why they are necessary, and BRS will pay for them.

Your counselor will tell you in writing whether or not you are eligible for vocational rehabilitation. If you are not eligible, you will be told why, and you will receive information on how you may appeal the decision, if you disagree with it.


What happens if I am eligible to receive vocational rehabilitation services?

If you are in a priority group that BRS is currently serving under the Order of Selection, you will work with your counselor to develop an Employment Plan which will assist you to find or keep a job. In developing this plan, you and your counselor will review your job interests as well as other factors you consider important in planning towards your employment. Together, you will work to agree on what your job goal is and what services you will need to reach it. If needed, BRS may provide vocational assessment and related services to assist you in deciding on your job goal and developing your Employment Plan.


What kinds of services will BRS provide?

BRS will provide services which you need in order to reach your vocational goal. Because your Employment Plan is tailored to meet your unique needs, these services vary from one person to another.

The services BRS may provide include:

* vocational counseling

* job search assistance

* skill training and career education in vocational and other schools

* on-the-job training in business and industry

* assistive technology services such as adaptive equipment for mobility, communication and specific work activities

* vehicle and home modifications

* supported employment services

* services to assist in restoring or improving a physical or mental condition

* services to help you access other services you need, in order to meet the goals of your Employment Plan, such as transportation assistance


How are services paid for?

Your counselor will explain the conditions under which BRS can pay for certain services. In some cases, BRS may contribute all or part of the cost of a service. You will work in partnership with your counselor to find other ways to pay for the services you need, including financial aid, medical insurance, and your own resources.


What happens when I start working?

Your counselor will follow up with you for at least 90 days after you enter employment or complete the services which helped you keep your job. After these 90 days, if you are satisfied with the job and do not need further help, BRS will close your case as "successfully employed." You will receive a letter to confirm this, and you can discuss with your counselor any concerns you may have about your job.


What if I need services after my case is closed?

If you need help to keep your job, BRS can provide "post-employment services." If your needs are extensive, you may need a new

Employment Plan, and your case should be re-opened. You can ask to have your case with BRS reopened at any time. If your case is reopened, your eligibility for vocational rehabilitation will be determined again.


What is the Client Assistance Program?

The Client Assistance Program (CAP) is an independent advocacy program located at the Office of Protection and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities. CAP provides advice, advocacy, and, if necessary, legal representation to individuals who have concerns about the services they are receiving from BRS, BESB, independent living centers, and other community rehabilitation programs. CAP is located at 60-B Weston St., Hartford, CT 06120; (860) 297-4326 or (800) 842-7303.



Offices of the
Bureau of Rehabilitation Services
Bridgeport District Office
1057 Broad St., Bridgeport, CT 06604
Tel: (203) 551-5500 (V/TDD)
Fax: (203) 579-6903
Norwalk: (203) 855-2797 (V/TDD)
Stamford: (203) 251-9430 (V/TDD)

Hartford District Office
3580 Main St., Hartford, CT 06120
Tel: (860) 723-1400 (V/TDD)
Fax: (860) 566-4766
Bristol: (860) 314-6501 (V/TDD)
East Hartford: (860) 289-2904 (V)

Enfield: (860) 741-2852 (V/TDD)
Manchester: (860) 647-5960 (V/TDD)
New Britain: (860) 612-3569 (V/TDD)
West Hartford - American School for the Deaf:
(860) 233-8240 (V/TDD)


New Haven District Office
414 Chapel St., Suite 301, New Haven, CT 06511
Tel: (203) 974-3000 (V);
(203) 974-3013 or -3009 (TDD)
Fax: (203) 789-7850
Ansonia: (203) 735-9444 (V/TDD)
Meriden: (203) 630-6170 (V/TDD)
Middletown: (860) 704-3070 (V)


Norwich District Office
Uncas on Thames, 401 W. Thames St., Unit 102
Norwich, CT 06360
Tel: (860) 887-3546 (V)
(860) 823-3374 (TDD)
Fax: (860) 886-4204
Dayville: (860) 779-2204 (V/TDD)
New London: (860) 701-3750 (V/TDD)
Willimantic: (860) 465-3546 (V/TDD)


Waterbury District Office
249 Thomaston Ave., Waterbury, CT 06702
Tel: (203) 578-4550 (V/TDD)
Fax: (203) 578-4590
Brookfield: (203) 775-4700, x249 (V)
Danbury: (203) 207-8990 (V/TDD)
Torrington: (860) 496-6900 (V/TDD)

 * * *

 The Department of Social Services is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer, and offers its programs regardless of race, color, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, religion, age, sex, or marital status.


In compliance with the Americans with
Disabilities Act, this brochure is available upon request in large print,
braille, or on audiocassette or computer diskette, 
by calling (800) 537-2549 (V);
(860) 424-4839 (TDD).


Content Last Modified on 10/27/2005 5:17:56 PM