DSS: Energy Assistance

Energy Assistance

Winter Heating Assistance Program

The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) is now open at community action agency sites around the state.  To schedule an appointment, please call your local community action agency at the phone number provided below.  You can also contact 2-1-1- Infoline or the DSS Office of Community Services at 1-800-842-1132 for contact information of intake sites closest to where you reside.  Please Follow this link to view a list of CAA services districts by town.

State officials have extended the deadline for applying for federal energy assistance to cover this past winterís home-heating bills, a step that will especially help households now receiving shutoff notices from utility companies. Applications for the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) are being accepted for another full month, through Tuesday, May 31, at community sites throughout the state.


The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program is designed to help offset the winter heating costs of Connecticut's lower income households, specifically those households whose incomes fall at or below 60 percent of the state median income.

Click here for a copy of the approved 2015/2016 Allocation Plan for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program.


General information:

On behalf of eligible households, the winter heating assistance pays for such heating sources as oil, natural gas, electricity, propane, kerosene, coal, wood and wood pellets.

Homeowners and renters may apply.

Households eligible for the winter heating program may also be eligible to receive weatherization assistance.  This can help conserve energy and lower heating bills.


The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program is administered by the Department of Social Services, and coordinated by regional Community Action Agencies, in cooperation with municipal and other non-profit human service agencies.

Community Action Agencies:

The Community Action Agency of Western Connecticut, Inc. (203) 748-5422

New Opportunities, Inc. (Waterbury area) (203) 756-8151; (Meriden area) (203) 235-0278

Bristol Community Organization, Inc. (860) 582-7490

Human Resources Agency of New Britain, Inc. (860) 223-2288

Community Renewal Team, Inc. (Hartford area) (860) 560-5800 or 1-800-798-3805; (Middletown area) (860) 347-4465

ACCESS, Inc. (Willimantic area) (860) 450-7423); (Danielson area) (860) 774-0418

Thames Valley Council for Community Action, Inc. (Norwich-New London area) (860) 425-6681

Community Action Agency of New Haven, Inc. (203) 387-7700

TEAM, Inc. (Derby-Ansonia-Shelton area) (203) 736-5420

Action for Bridgeport Community Development, Inc. (Bridgeport area) (203) 384-6904; (Norwalk area) (203)838-8110; (Stamford area) (203)357-0720.


About Energy Assistance:

Program Dates 

Income Guidelines

Benefit Levels

Asset Limit Guidelines 

Frequently Asked Questions

What To Bring With You When You Apply - Checklist of Required Documentation
(English) (Spanish) 

Energy Assistance Application
English) (Spanish) 

Where To Apply  
Stay cool during the heat
Winter Heating Safety Tips

Cold Weather Preparedness 
Energy-Related Links

Reporting Fraud

For Vendors

Content Last Modified on 5/3/2016 11:27:41 AM