DSS: Gov. Malloy: State Agencies Moving to Assist Residents Facing Loss of Unemployment Benefits

Gov. Malloy: State Agencies Moving to Assist Residents Facing Loss of Unemployment Benefits

May 17, 2012
Governor Dannel P. Malloy today directed Connecticut Department of Labor (DOL) Commissioner Glenn Marshall and Department of Social Services (DSS) Commissioner Roderick Bremby to begin implementing their plan to bring targeted services to individuals and families who are losing their unemployment benefits as a result of the state’s declining unemployment rate. The plan will coordinate communications to affected residents, improve access to social service programs and increase awareness of workforce development programs.

The Department of Social Services is working closely with the Department of Labor to offer information and assistance to individuals and families affected by the sudden loss of unemployment compensation benefits.
The Department of Labor has comprehensive employment-related services at CTWorks Career Centers (more info at www.ct.gov/dol).
At the Department of Social Services, we administer a host of programs and services for eligible Connecticut residents, including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as food stamps); medical coverage (such as the HUSKY Health program and the Charter Oak Health Plan); and financial assistance (Temporary Family Assistance, State-Administered General Assistance and State Supplement for the Aged/Blind/Disabled). Information about DSS programs and services, including downloadable applications, is available at www.ct.gov/dss
Another great resource for service information – 2-1-1 Infoline, operated by the United Way of Connecticut. We have arranged with 2-1-1 Infoline to provide information, eligibility screening and referral for Connecticut residents affected by unexpected loss of unemployment compensation.  We encourage you to call 2-1-1 to speak to a customer service professional. Professional staff are available 24/7 by dialing 2-1-1, toll-free.  Visit on-line at www.211ct.org.

Content Last Modified on 8/7/2012 12:10:08 PM