DSS: Energy Assistance

Energy Assistance

Winter Heating Assistance Program

The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP)

is opening applications for ‘early intake’ on Friday, August 1, 2014,

at many community action agency sites around the state.


Eligibility requirements, updated poverty guidelines, application

sites and related materials will be available soon.

In the meantime, pease call 2-1-1 Infoline or

DSS Energy & Refugee Services Unit at



if you have energy assistance questions or need referral

to an early intake application site.

Please check back at www.ct.gov/staywarm

for information updates

The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program is designed to help offset the winter heating costs of Connecticut's lower income households, specifically those households whose incomes fall at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty guidelines as well as households with elderly, disabled and/or children under the age of six, with incomes between 150 percent and 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines. 
Households with incomes below 60 percent of the state median income who are not eligible to receive assistance under CEAP may be eligible to receive assistance under the Contingency Heating Assistance Program.

General information:
On behalf of eligible households, the winter heating assistance pays for such heating sources as oil, natural gas, electricity, propane, kerosene, coal and wood.

Homeowners and renters may apply.

Households eligible for the winter heating program may also be eligible to receive weatherization assistance.  This can help conserve energy and lower heating bills.
The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program and the Contingency Heating Assistance Program are administered by the Department of Social Services and coordinated by regional Community Action Agencies, in cooperation with municipal and other non-profit human service agencies.
Community Action Agencies:
The Community Action Committee of Danbury, Inc. (203) 748-5422
New Opportunities, Inc. (Waterbury area) (203) 756-8151
Bristol Community Organization, Inc. (860) 582-7490
Human Resources Agency of New Britain, Inc. (860) 223-2288
Community Renewal Team, Inc. (Hartford area) (860) 560-5800 or 1-800-798-3805; (Middletown area) (860) 347-4465
ACCESS, Inc. (Willimantic - Danielson area) (860) 450-7423
Thames Valley Council for Community Action, Inc. (Norwich-New London area) (860) 425-6681
New Opportunity for Greater Meriden (203) 235-0278 (sponsored by New Opportunities, Inc.)
Community Action Agency of New Haven, Inc. (203) 387-7700
TEAM, Inc. (Derby-Ansonia-Shelton area) (203) 736-5420
Action for Bridgeport Community Development, Inc. (203) 384-6904; (also covering Norwalk/Stamford areas; phone contact number to be announced).

About Energy Assistance:

Program Dates 

Income Guidelines

Benefit Levels

Asset Limit Guidelines 

Frequently Asked Questions

What To Bring With You When You Apply - Checklist of Required Documentation
(English) (Spanish) 

Energy Assistance Application
English) (Spanish) 

Where To Apply  
Stay cool during the heat
Winter Heating Safety Tips

Cold Weather Preparedness 
Energy-Related Links

Reporting Fraud

For Vendors

Content Last Modified on 8/15/2014 9:01:30 AM