Environmental and Occupational Health Assessment
Workplace Hazard Assessment Program
When to request a Workplace Hazard Assessment
You are an employer, employee union representative, or a physician treating an worker and
- You are concerned about exposure to an agent or working condition that may or may not be regulated by OSHA.
- Employees have an illness from an unknown cause.
- Employees experience adverse health effects from exposure to a regulated or unregulated agent or working condition, even though the permissible exposure limit is not being exceeded.
- The incidence of a particular disease or injury is higher than expected in a group of employees.
- There is exposure to a new or previously unrecognized hazard or a hazard that seems to result from the combined effects of several agents.
- You would like a general assessment of the health and safety of your working environment or a specific assessment of one or more components of your workplace operations.
When to request help from the OSHA Consultation Program
You are an employer and you want
- Recommendations or options for becoming compliant with OSHA safety and health standards without the issuance of citations, penalties, or fines.
- Assistance in developing or maintaining an OSHA-compliant safety and health program.
- Employee exposure monitoring or other environmental sampling.
- Indoor environmental quality surveys of an office setting or school.
- Instructions for the correction of hazards identified by the consultant(s) to the level required by OSHA standards.
- Information on compliance with OSHA recordkeeping requirements.
When to file a complaint with OSHA
You are an employee and you want
- Immediate enforcement of OSHA standards by a regulatory agency.
- Your employer to comply with existing health and safety standards.
- Further protection from a well recognized hazard for which an OSHA standard exists.
- To report an employer who has taken action against you for raising health and safety concerns.
Content Last Modified on 3/6/2013 3:11:01 PM