Thinking about Quitting?
Here are some reasons:
- You deserve to be free from tobacco!
- Save money for something else- like a family vacation or a new car.
- Enjoy a longer healthier life with family and friends.
Over 3 million Americans quit smoking every year, and you can do it, too!
It is never too late to stop, and when you do stop, your body begins to repair itself immediately.
There will be many healthy changes, some of which will continue to improve over several years.
Benefits of Quitting
- Within 20 minutes, your heart rate calms down.
- Within 8 hours, there is much more oxygen in your blood, and mucus begins to clear out of your lungs, making it easier to breathe.
- Within 48 hours, things smell and taste better.
- Within 3 months, blood circulation improves, and your body is better able to fight infection.
- Within 9 months, you have less sinus congestion, wheezing, and shortness of breath.
- After 1 year, your risk of dying of a heart attack is cut in half.
- After 5 years, you have much less chance of having a stroke.
- After 10 years, your risk of getting lung cancer is cut in half.
Ready to Quit?
Here are some materials to help you succeed.
Preparing to Quit
Tips to Quit Smoking (pdf)
Frequently Asked Questions about Quitting
Tobacco Tracker (PDF)
Current Treatment Options (PDF)
For Free Help or Information to Quit call the
CT Quitline at 1–800-784-8669
or register online at
Or log onto " Become an Ex " at BecomeAnEX.org to start your online program to re-learn life without cigarettes.
Use the Cigarette Cost Calculator to see how much money you can save by quitting.
CT Quitline Brochure (PDF)
Connecticut Tobacco Use Cessation Programs (2013 181 KB doc)
You Can Quit Smoking Consumer Guide (2000 286 pdf)
Back to Top
Back to Homepage
Content Last Modified on 5/21/2013 2:28:25 PM