How To Apply
Please call the closest WIC Office serving your area for an appointment to apply for WIC Benefits:
Local Agency listing
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Must meet the WIC income guidelines which are set at or below 185% of the federal poverty income limit (WIC can count an unborn infant as a household member unless it is against your beliefs to do so). **
- Complete a nutrition assessment with WIC staff. You and your WIC nutritionist will talk about you, your baby’s or your child’s eating habits, overall health, and any questions about your family’s health or nutrition goals.
- Live in Connecticut but you do not need to be a U.S. citizen. (WIC does not require proof of citizenship or alien status and participation in WIC will not affect your immigration or naturalization status).
**Recipients of the Special Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP, assistance under the Temporary Family Assistance (TFA) program or the HUSKY (Medicaid) program are automatically income-eligible for the WIC program. A person who documents that he/she is a member of a family that contains a TFA recipient or that contains a pregnant woman or an infant who receives HUSKY/Medicaid shall also be determined adjunctively income eligible for WIC.
How to use your eWIC card brochure
How to use your WIC check
Shop only at stores who are on the list of authorized WIC stores given by the WIC office.
Check the dates! WIC checks CANNOT be used before the "first day to use or after the "last day to use".
See your WIC approved Food List for the items, brands and sized that are allowed. NO other items are allowed.
At the register, keep your WIC food separate from your other items. Separate your items by check if using more than one WIC check.
Let the cashier know you have WIC checks and hand the cashier your Approved Food List/Participant ID Booklet.
Using ONLY BLACK INK, you or the cashier may fill in the actual amount of sale on the check (or for fruit and vegtetable checks, the maximum value of the check if it goes over). This must be done at the time of purchase.
Using ONLY BLACK INK, sign and date the check AFTER the amount of sale has been filled in.
For fruit and vegetable WIC checks only, you can pay for any extra amount owed. No change is returned from fruit and vegetable checks that are the maximum value of the check.
- Keep your WIC checks in a safe place and treat them the same as cash. If they are lost or stolen, they cannot be replaced. You MUST report lost or stolen checks to your Local WIC office.
- The caretaker of your children can shop for you in addition to you choosing someone to be your alternate. You are responsible for training both persons on how to use your WIC checks and for their actions while shopping. At all times, their signatures must be on the Particpant Identification and they must have your participant booklet to shop for you.
- You do not need to purchase everything on your WIC check.
- Store credit, IOUs, and rainchecks are NOT allowed.
- Use store savings cards, coupons and store promotions to save money and help us serve more people.
- Respcect WIC staff and store employees. Giving false information and buying the wrong foods is abuse, as well as, physical and/or verbal actions against other WIC participants, WIC staff, property or store employees.
- If you feel that a store, a WIC participant or a staff person is doing something wrong, call your local WIC office.
Authorized eWIC vendor list:
Content Last Modified on 7/14/2016 12:55:06 PM