The purpose of this initiative is to create healthier communities by;
1) building capacity to implement broad evidence and practice-based policy, environmental, programmatic and infrastructure changes, as appropriate, in large counties, and in states, tribes and territories, including in rural and frontier areas and
2) supporting implementation of such interventions in five strategic areas (Strategic Directions) aligning with Healthy People 2020 focus areas and achieving demonstrated progress in the following five performance measures outlined in the Affordable Care Act: 1) changes in weight, 2) changes in proper nutrition,
3) changes in physical activity,
4) changes in tobacco use prevalence, and
5) changes in emotional well being and overall mental health, as well as other program-specific measures.