Information Regarding Dental Assistants
Dental assistants are not licensed, certified or registered by the Department of Public Health. The following information is provided regarding licensed dentists delegating dental procedures to dental assistants:
Pursuant to Section 20-112a
, Connecticut General Statutes, a licensed dentist may delegate to dental assistants such dental procedures as the dentist may deem advisable, including the taking of dental x-rays
if the dental assistant can demonstrate successful completion of the dental radiography portion of an examination prescribed by the Dental Assisting National Board, but such procedures shall be performed under the dentist's supervision and control and the dentist shall assume responsibility for such procedures; provided such assistants may not engage in the:
- Diagnosis for dental procedures or dental treatment;
- Cutting or removal of any hard or soft tissue or suturing;
- prescribing of drugs or medications that require the written or oral order of a licensed dentist or physician;
- administration of local, parenteral, inhalation or general anesthetic agents in connection with any dental operative procedure;
- Taking of any impression of the teeth or jaws or the relationship of the teeth or jaws for the purpose of fabricating any appliance or prosthesis;
- Placing, finishing and adjustment of temporary or final restorations, capping materials and cement bases; or
- Practice of dental hygiene.
Please select this link
for statutes amended by Public Act 16-66, effective 10/01/2016.
Content Last Modified on 8/18/2016 1:16:34 PM