The Connecticut Department of Public Health has contracted with Prometric to develop and manage its nurse's aide registry and administer the Connecticut nurse aide competency exam.
What is the Nurse Aide Registry?
A listing of
nurse aides who have met Federal and/or State training and competency
requirements needed for employment in nursing homes.
Search the CT Nurse's Aide Registry Online
How to be Placed on the CT Nurse's Aide Registry
To become a certified nurse's aide in Connecticut, you must meet one of the following eligibility routes:
* If you meet the requirements of Routes 1, 2, 3 or 4 you are
required to take the Connecticut nurse's aide competency
Route 1 - New Nurse's Aide Candidate
Route 2 - Nurse or Student Nurse
You would select this route if you have successfully completed a course, or courses of no lese than 100 hours of theory and clinical instruction in a approved practical nursing or registered nursing program within the past 24 months.Prometric
Route 3 - Out-of-State Nurse's Aide
You would select this route if you have successfully completed a state approved nurse's aide training program in another state in the past 24 months that consisted of a minimum of 100 hours and have not successfully completed that state's examination. Prometric
Route 4 - Lapsed Nurse's Aide
You would select this route if you were a certified nurse aide in Connecticut but your certification has lapsed and you are not eligible for renewal. You must take and pass both the clinical skills and written portions of the state exam to be active on the registry. Prometric
Route 5 - Completed Nurse's Aide Training and State Exam within the last 24 Months
You would select this route if you completed a nurse's aide training program consisting of a minimum of 100 hours and was administered the state exam within the past 24 months. The training program must be governed by the Board of Regents for Higher Education (Community College) and approved by the Department of Public Health. Prometric
Route 7 - Reciprocity
You would select this route if you are currently active and in good standing on a registry in another state. Prometric
Certification and Renewal:
- The certification period is for 24 months (2 years) and the nurse's aide must recertify every two years.
- There are no expiration dates on CT nurse's aide certificates.
- If you are not sure when your certification expires, you can look up your nurse's aide certification on-line: Search the CT Nurse's Aide Registry Online
- To be eligible for renewal, a CNA must have worked for pay as a CNA or in a position where you provided direct personal care for at least 8 hours during the last 24 months. Renewals will be effective two years from your last date of verified employment. There is no fee for renewal.
- If you are eligible for renewal, your employer should fill out the employment verification form: employment verification form.
- The nurse aide should determine if their job duties meets the requirements for recertification.
- A nurse aide should inquire whether their employer reports their employment to the Department of Public Health. If not, it is the nurse's aide's responsibility to make sure their employment is verified.
- If your nurse's aide certification status has become “lapsed/expired” and
you have not worked as a nurse's aide or in a position where you provided direct
personal care in a period longer than 24 months following your most recent certification,
you are required to retake and pass both the skills and written sections of the
Connecticut nurse aide competency exam. Once you pass the state nurse's aide exam, your certification will be renewed. (Route 4) You can contact Prometric to submit an application and schedule your state exam:
Information on Testing.
- If your nurse's aide certification status has become "lapsed/expired" and you have been working as a CNA or in a position where you have provided direct personal care, but you failed to submit your employment verification, you may submit your employment verification forms to the Department of Public Health and your certification will be renewed. employment verification form.
Name and Address Changes or Request Duplicate Certificate:
It is the nurse's aide's responsibility to update the registry with any address change or any change in name. To make a change to the registry complete the Candidate Change Request Form and submit the for to Prometric along with any required legal documentation. This form is also used to request a duplicate certificate. The fee is $15.
Training Program Requirements and Approved Training Programs:
Additional Connecticut Nurse's Aide Registry Information:
Once a nurse's aide's name is on the registry it is never removed. The nurse's aide will be identified as active or lapsed. It will also identify whether there has been a negative finding against their certificate for resident abuse, resident neglect and/or misappropriation of resident property (stealing).
A finding of resident abuse or misappropriation of resident property can never be removed from the registry.
In the case of resident neglect, a nurse’s aide may petition to have the neglect finding removed if it was a singular occurrence and employment and personal history of the nurse’s aide does not reflect a pattern of abusive behavior or neglect. (You may contact the Department of Public Health Nurse Aide Registry regarding this process.)
- If your certificate is flagged for resident abuse, neglect, misappropriation of resident property or Medicaid fraud on the Connecticut Nurse Aide Registry, your certification will not be renewed and you are prohibited from working in a licensed chronic convalescent nursing home.
Direct all questions regarding the exam process and applications to Prometric:
Prometric - CT Nurse Aide
7941 Corporate Dr.
Nottingham MD 21236
Phone: 866-499-7485 - press number 9
Fax: 800 813 6670
****All applications and supporting documents must be submitted to directly to Prometric.
If you have any additional questions, you can contact the Connecticut Nurse Aide Registry at the Department of Public Health at (860) 509-7603 - press option #1 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.