ConnDOT: Submitting a Claim

Submitting a Claim

In general, there are three separate procedures for bringing a claim against the Department of Transportation seeking monetary compensation for damages suffered as a result of some action or inaction of the Department. The appropriate procedure to be followed depends on the nature of the accident or occurrence giving rise to the claim.
The first two types of claims require written notice to be given to the Department of Transportation promptly.
1. A claim for damages caused by a defective condition (e.g., a pothole, ice, etc.) on a state highway, bridge or sidewalk is governed by the provisions of Section 13a-144 of the Connecticut General Statutes. Claims will only be processed if received within 90 days of the incident.
2. A claim for damages caused by a motor vehicle owned by the State and operated by a state employee is governed by Section 52-556 of the Connecticut General Statutes.
The notice must include the following information:
  • Claimant’s name, address and telephone number.
  • A description of the accident of occurrence giving rise to the claim.
This must include:
(a) the date and time of the occurrence;
(b) the precise location (e.g., the nearest highway entrance/exit ramp or other highway marker, etc.);
(c) town.
  • A description of the property damage and/or personal injuries suffered.
Written notice should be directed to:
Commissioner, Connecticut Department of Transportation
Attn: Bureau of Finance and Administration - Claims Division
P.O. Box 317546
Newington, CT 06131-7546
3. All other claims for damages should be filed with the Office of the Claims Commissioner in accordance with the procedures set forth in Chapter 53 of the Connecticut General Statutes, Section 4-141 et seq.
Before filing a claim, you may wish to consult legal counsel.

Content Last Modified on 7/10/2013 9:27:04 AM