CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
2800 BERLIN TURNPIKE P.O. BOX 317546
NEWINGTON CONNECTICUT, 06131-7456
|FOR RELEASE: June 20, 2012
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS
TELEPHONE: (860) 594-3062
FAX: (860) 594-3065
MOTORIST ADVISORY- Expect Significant Delays Weekend of June 22, 2012 As Traffic Is Shifted Onto The New Northbound Lanes Of The Pearl Harbor Memorial (Q) Bridge
The Connecticut Department of Transportation is announcing that construction activities necessary to open the new northbound section of the Pearl Harbor Memorial (Q) Bridge will begin at 8 p.m. on Friday, June 22, 2012 and are expected to continue until 6 a.m. on Monday, June 25, 2012.
The following detours, lane closures, and traffic shifts will be implemented to move I-95 northbound, the I-91 southbound ramp, and Route 34 eastbound traffic onto the completed northbound section of the bridge.
LANE CLOSURE / TRAFFIC INFO – Dates are subject to change and times are approximate. To avoid travel delays through the area please plan ahead and consider alternate routes to get to your destination.
I-95 NB lane restrictions and ramp closures beginning 8 p.m. Friday, June 22, 2012 are:
- Only one lane of I-95 NB will be available between Long Wharf Drive (Exit 46) and Woodward Avenue (Exit 50), and only one lane will be available on the I-91 NB Ramp from I-95 NB (Exit 48) until 8 a.m. Saturday, June 23, 2012.
- Long Wharf Drive On-Ramp to I-95 NB will be CLOSED until 8 a.m. Saturday, June 23, 2012. Motorists wishing to access I-95 NB, I-91 NB, or Route 34 WB from Long Wharf Drive will be detoured on local roadways.
- I-95 NB Off-Ramp to Woodward Avenue (Exit 50) will be CLOSED until 8 a.m. Saturday, June 23, 2012. Traffic will be detoured to Woodward Avenue via South Frontage Road (Exit 51), North Frontage Road, and Forbes Avenue/ US Route 1.
I-91 SB Access to I-95 NB lane restrictions and closures beginning Friday, June 22, 2012 are:
- I-91 SB Ramp traffic for I-95 NB will be merging with a single lane of I-95 NB from 8 p.m. Friday, June 22, 2012 to 8 a.m. Saturday, June 23, 2012, and will be merging with two lanes of I-95 NB from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, June 23, 2012. Expect significant delays accessing I-95 NB.
- I-91 SB Ramp to I-95 NB will be CLOSED at 6 p.m. Saturday, June 23, 2012 until 10 a.m. Sunday, June 24, 2012. Traffic will be detoured to I-95 SB Exit 45 (Route 10, Ella Grasso Blvd), where motorists will be directed back onto I-95 NB. After the I-91 SB Ramp reopens, traffic flow may be restricted due to continued lane closures on I-95 NB until 6 a.m. Monday, June 25, 2012.
- I-91 SB will not have access to Woodward Avenue/Port Area (Exit 50) from 8 p.m. Friday, June 22, 2012 until after 6 p.m. Saturday, June 22, 2012.
I-95 NB lane restrictions and ramp closures beginning Saturday, June 23, 2012 are:
- Wooster Street On-Ramp to I-95 NB will be CLOSED from 2 p.m. Saturday, June 23, 2012 until 10 a.m. Sunday, June 24, 2012. Traffic will be detoured to I-95 NB via Franklin Street, Chapel Street, East Street, Forbes Avenue, and Frontage Road.
Rte 34 EB ramp to I-95 NB
- Intermittent 10 minute traffic stoppages will occur on the Route 34 EB ramp to I-95 NB from 8:00 p.m. Friday, June 22, 2012 until 8 a.m. Saturday, June 23, 2012.
All vehicles including trucks may use Connecticut Routes 25 and 8, Route 9, I-91, I-691, and I-84 and I- 684 in Connecticut and New York. Permitted oversize/overweight vehicles must follow planned route. Passenger vehicles may also use Route 15 (Merritt and Wilbur Cross Parkways).
This work is part of the I-95 New Haven Harbor Crossing (NHHC) Corridor Improvement Program. I-95 NHHC Corridor Improvement Program construction includes the new Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge, the new Route 34 Flyover Bridge, and reconstruction of the I-95 / I-91 / Route 34 Interchange.
The Connecticut Department of Transportation is working to inform local residents of current and upcoming construction activities through announcements such as this, as well as the I-95 NHHC Corridor Improvement Program website (www.I95NewHaven.com).
If you have any questions about the program, please call us at 1-203-752-1996 or send an email to info@I95NewHaven.com.
Content Last Modified on 6/20/2012 1:41:46 PM