CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
2800 BERLIN TURNPIKE P.O. BOX 317546
NEWINGTON CONNECTICUT, 06131-7546
|FOR RELEASE: September 10, 2007
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS
TELEPHONE: (860) 594-3062
Fax: (860) 594-3066
Safe Routes “Back To School”
Traffic Safety Reminders and Tips
Newington, Connecticut – As Connecticut’s children head back to school this week and in the coming weeks, the Connecticut Department of Transportation is reminding motorists to take extra precaution when travelling in school zones.
When schools are in session, children will be walking or riding their bicycles to and from school – many of them during the busiest time of the day when motorist are travelling to work or home after a tiring day.
The Department’s Safe Routes To School Program offer the following tips:
- Slow down. Observe the speed limit in school zones at all times.
- Be especially careful when driving on neighborhood streets and around school zones. Always expect the unexpected.
- Be alert for youngsters walking to and from school as you back out of your driveway or leave your garage.
- Watch for children on bicycles, especially at intersections and driveways.
- Stop your car when you see lights flashing on a school bus. Red flashing lights indicate that the bus is stopped and students are getting on or off. Don't start driving until the red lights stop flashing. Be aware that a child may dash across the street.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians:
- Always walk on the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk and you have to walk in the road, always walk FACING traffic.
- Wear bright color clothing to increase visibility.
- Cross only at corners or marked crosswalks.
- Stop at the curb, or the edge of the road.
- Walk in groups, there is safety in numbers. Groups are more likely to be seen by drivers.
- Stop and look left, then right, then left again, before you step into the street.
- If you see a car, wait until it goes by. Then look left, right and left again until no cars are coming.
Safety Tips for Bicyclist:
- Wear a Helmet.
- Be sure to have reflectors on your pedals, frame, and wheels.
- Be Seen – Be Aware – Be Predictable.
- Follow the Rules of the Road - Ride on the right, with the traffic, in single file. Obey stop signs and traffic lights. Never cross a street without looking for cars. Give the right-of-way to pedestrians in crosswalks. Walk your bicycle on sidewalks whenever pedestrians are around you.
Let’s all keep safety as top priority to provide a safe and promising school year for our children!