DOB: Landing Page - Debt Negotiator

File a Debt Negotiator Complaint

Mortgages on Primary Residences in Connecticut - Complaint Notice: 

The Department of Banking (DOB) accepts complaints against any unlicensed Debt Negotiator. The DOB licenses Debt Negotiators who assist consumers faced with significant debt negotiate the terms of a consumerís obligation to a mortgagee/creditor on the consumerís behalf.  Debt Negotiators charge a fee for their service.

How do I submit a complaint?

Debt Negotiators are required to be licensed by the Department of Banking.

  1. Attempt to resolve the dispute by contacting the debt negotiator to resolve your dispute.
  2. If you cannot resolve the dispute with the debt negotiator you have been working with, determine if the debt negotiator is licensed by the DOB.  See debt negotiators licensed in Connecticut. If yes, see Step 4.
  3. If the debt negotiator you have been working with is not licensed in Connecticut, the Department of Banking also accepts complaints against unlicensed companies who are acting as a debt negotiator with Connecticut residents. 

     DOB Online Consumer Assistance Form    

Submit the following information with your complaint if you have been working with a foreclosure rescue company or an out of state law firm:
    1. A copy of the signed agreement with the company or emails or letters.
    2. A copy of your bank statement or cancelled check showing the payment taken from your bank account, and
    3. A brief letter explaining what the foreclosure rescue company or law firm promised you in exchange for the money you paid them.


Helpful Resources



Contact the Connecticut Department of Banking Consumer Affairs Unit at one of the following numbers:

Telephone Direct: 860-240-8170
Toll-free: 1-800-831-7225, ext. 8170
Fax: 860-240-8178

Foreclosure Assistance Hotline:  1-877-472-8313

Rental Security Deposits:  860-240-8154 or toll-free 1-800-831-7225, ext. 8154
Fax: (860) 920-3028