DOB: Landing Page - Money Transmitter

File a Money Transmitter/Wire Transfer Complaint

How do I submit a complaint?

  1. Attempt to resolve the dispute by contacting the money transmitter that sent your transfer.  You should have your personal identification and receipt when you meet with the agent to report any errors.  Request a transmission report to help you learn what went wrong.
  2. If your dispute cannot be resolved directly with the money transmitter, determine whether the money transmitter is licensed by the Department of Banking (DOB).  Attempt to resolve the dispute by using the NMLS Consumer Access information to obtain contact information about the company to resolve your dispute. This website allows consumers to view information concerning Money Transmitters. 
    Click on the NMLS Consumer Access button. See Instructions for Using NMLS Consumer Access.
  3. If the money transmitter you worked with is not listed in NMLS, it is considered an unlicensed money transmitter. The DOB pursues complaints against unlicensed companies that are conducting money transmission activities for a fee to Connecticut residents.  Go to Step 6.
  4. Determine if you need to file a complaint with the Department of Banking and/or the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). In addition to the DOB, the CFPB supervises the large money transmitter companies (for example, Western Union, MoneyGram, and PayPal).
  5. Your receipt may instruct you to contact the CFPB if you have a complaint.  You may also submit your complaint with the CFPB online or by calling the CFBP at (855) 411-2372. 

     DOB Online Consumer Assistance Form    

Helpful Resources



Contact the Connecticut Department of Banking Consumer Affairs Unit at one of the following numbers:

Telephone Direct: 860-240-8170
Toll-free: 1-800-831-7225, ext. 8170
Fax: 860-240-8178

Foreclosure Assistance Hotline:  1-877-472-8313

Rental Security Deposits:  860-240-8154 or toll-free 1-800-831-7225, ext. 8154
Fax: (860) 920-3028