File a Check Casher Complaint
How do I submit a complaint?
- Attempt to resolve the dispute by contacting the check casher to resolve your dispute.
- Determine whether the check casher is licensed by the DOB. See check cashers licensed in Connecticut. Go to Step 4.
- The Department of Banking also pursues complaints against unlicensed companies that are conducting check cashing activities for a fee with Connecticut residents. If you have worked with a check casher that is not listed on the link in Step 2 above as licensed by the Department of Banking (DOB), it is an unlicensed check casher.
Connecticut Banking Law caps the fee a check casher can charge:
- Fee of 2% of the amount of the check is the general rule; or
- If check is issued by the State of Connecticut and payable to a recipient of public assistance, the fee is 1% of the amount of the check.
By Telephone or Fax:
Telephone Direct: 860-240-8170
Toll-free: 1-800-831-7225, ext. 8170
Foreclosure Assistance Hotline: 1-877-472-8313
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This is an unsecured e-mail address for general questions. Please do not include personal identifying information such as Social Security and/or account numbers, birth date, user ID, or passwords using this unsecured e-mail address. To send a Secure Message log into the Online Assistance Form.