DOB: Landing Page - Credit Unions

File a Credit Union Complaint

Credit Union Share Accounts or Services (Checking, Savings, Debit ATM)

Complaint Policy for Mortgages on Primary Residences in Connecticut: 

The DOB accepts complaints against any bank regarding mortgage modification, risk of delinquency, default, and judicial foreclosure of a mortgage on a primary residence in Connecticut.

How do I submit a complaint?

The DOB does not regulate all credit unions in Connecticut.  Federally chartered credit unions are regulated by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA).
  1. Determine the regulator of the credit union you have a complaint against.  

    - Credit unions with branches in Connecticut
    - All credit unions:  NCUA Locator tool to identify a credit union type

      NCUA identified credit union types as FCU or FISCU 

     “FCU” stand for Federal Credit union. The credit union is regulated by the NCUA.  The “Region” listed is the NCUA region office:

    NCUA regional office for credit unions in Connecticut

    “FISCU” stands for Federally insured State Credit Union.  The “Charter State” listed identifies the State Banking Authority that accepts complaints against the credit union:

    Conference of State Bank Supervisors (CSBS) State Banking Authority search tool. 

  2. Attempt to resolve the dispute by contacting the financial institution. This may involve directly contacting senior credit union management or the credit union's customer service representative for assistance.  You may use the NCUA Locator tool to obtain the contact information for the credit union.

     DOB Online Consumer Assistance Form    

Helpful Resources



Contact the Connecticut Department of Banking Consumer Affairs Unit at one of the following numbers:

Telephone Direct: 860-240-8170
Toll-free: 1-800-831-7225, ext. 8170
Fax: 860-240-8178

Foreclosure Assistance Hotline:  1-877-472-8313

Rental Security Deposits:  860-240-8154 or toll-free 1-800-831-7225, ext. 8154
Fax: (860) 920-3028