DOB: Landing Page - Banks

File a Bank Complaint

Bank Deposit Accounts or Services (Checking, savings, Debit ATM)

Complaint Policy for Mortgages on Primary Residences in Connecticut: 

The Department of Banking accepts complaints against any bank regarding mortgage modification, risk of delinquency, default, and judicial foreclosure of a mortgage on a primary residence in Connecticut.  See Step 6 below.

How do I submit a complaint?

1. Attempt to resolve the dispute by contacting the financial institution. This may involve directly contacting senior bank management, or a customer service representative at the bank for assistance.
If you cannot resolve the dispute directly with the financial institution, determine the regulator of the bank you are filing a complaint against.  The Connecticut Department of Banking (DOB) does not regulate all banks located in Connecticut. 
View the list of Banks in Connecticut that identifies the regulator for every bank with branches in Connecticut.  The Primary Regulator column has a link to the regulator's website to file a complaint.  If the Primary Regulator column lists DOB either alone or with another regulator, for example, Federal Reserve, we encourage you to send your complaint to the DOB.  View also a list of Banks Regulated by the Department of Banking.
4. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) Institution Directory identifies the primary federal regulator for all banks, including banks with branches outside of Connecticut. The directory has a link to the regulatorís website to file a complaint.  Call the FDIC at 1-877-275-3342 (1-877-ASK-FDIC) if you have questions about the directory.
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) supervises financial institutions with assets over $10 billion dollars.  Banks supervised by the CFPB include: Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, Wells Fargo, CitiBank, HSBC Bank USA, Santander Bank, TDBank, Key Bank, Peopleís United Bank, and Webster Bank. Current list PDF  | Current list Excel.  If the CFPB supervises your bank, in addition to filing a complaint with the primary federal regulator (identified in Step 4), you may also file a complaint with the CFPB.

     DOB Online Consumer Assistance Form    

Helpful Resources



Contact the Connecticut Department of Banking Consumer Affairs Unit at one of the following numbers:

Telephone Direct: 860-240-8170
Toll-free: 1-800-831-7225, ext. 8170
Fax: 860-240-8178

Foreclosure Assistance Hotline:  1-877-472-8313

Rental Security Deposits:  860-240-8154 or toll-free 1-800-831-7225, ext. 8154
Fax: (860) 920-3028