DOB: Debt Adjuster Licensing Information

Debt Adjuster Licensing

Nonprofit and For Profit

Who needs a license?

"Debt adjustment" means, for or with the expectation of a fee, commission or other valuable consideration, receiving, as agent of a debtor, money or evidences thereof for the purpose of distributing such money or evidences thereof among creditors in full or partial payment of obligations of the debtor; and "debtor" means any individual who has incurred indebtedness or owes a debt for personal, family or household purposes.

Who does not need a license:

  1. Any attorney admitted to the practice of law in this state, when engaged in such practice.
  2. Any bank, fiduciary or financing or lending institution authorized to transact business in this state or any other state, which performs debt adjustment in the regular course of its principal business.
  3. Any title insurance or abstract company authorized to transact business in this state or any other state, while doing an escrow business.
  4. Any person acting pursuant to any law of this state or of the United States or acting under the order of a court. 

Essential Statutes - Updated to January 1, 2013
Please reference the relevant Connecticut Statutes and Regulations before applying for a license. 

Frequently Asked Questions 

Licensing Fees:

The licensing fees for the main office and the branch office applications are the same.

Bona fide non profit organization
   $250 - Application filed on or before 9/30/2015

For profit organization
    $800 - Application filed between 10/1/14 and 9/30/15

License Application Forms

Main Office

If you will be conducting Connecticut licensing activity from the corporate office/headquarters, you are required to designate this location as the "Main Office."
If you will not be conducting Connecticut licensing activity from this location, then the initial application filed with this department will be considered the Main Office for licensing purposes in the State of Connecticut.

Branch Office

Any additional location to be licensed in the State of Connecticut.

Other Debt Adjuster Forms

Change of Address (1 page, 52 KB)
Change of Name (1 page, 50 KB)
Change of Officer (3 pages, 320 KB)
Change of Supervisor (3 pages, 323 KB)
Office Closure (1 page, 46 KB)


Connecticut Department of Banking
Consumer Credit Division
260 Constitution Plaza
Hartford, CT 06103-1800

Staff:  Maria Burgos
Telephone: 860-240-8211 or toll-free 800-831-7225
Fax: (860) 622-4971

Visit the Connecticut's Business Response Center for information on all licensing and permitting activities across Connecticut State government.

Content Last Modified on 1/23/2015 8:14:23 AM