DMV: General Information on the Issuance of Disability Plates

General Information on the 
Issuance of Disability Plates


Effective October 1, 2011, license plates for people with disabilities will only be issued for motorcycle registrations.

DMV no longer issues passenger car disabled driver license plates. However, if you already have passenger car disabled driver license plates, you may continue to use them by renewing your registration.


Remember -

  1. Apply for plates (motorcycles only) or a permit for people with disabilities only if you have a qualifying disability.
  2. Use reserved spaces only if you have these plates or this permit and only when the person with disability is driving or riding in the vehicle.
  3. Don't allow others to misuse your plates or permit.    
  4. Plates and permits do not exempt you from parking regulations or fees.                      
  5. Never park in the access aisle or striped areas next to a reserved parking space.   It is for access by people with wheelchairs and specially-equipped vehicles, and is not a parking zone.
You do not have to be a licensed driver to obtain the motorcycle plates, but you must be at least 16 years of age to register a motorcycle. A Certificate of Parental Consent (form 2D) must be Notarized and signed by a parent or legal guardian for all applicants that are 16 or 17 years old.

License plates with the International Symbol of Access:

  • Are only issued to a vehicle registered in the name of the person with the disability. If you are unable to register the vehicle in the name of the disabled person, refer to the section on Parking Permits.
  • Any disabled person who is eligible for a permanent Special Permit Application and Impairment Certificate (form B-225) and has a motor vehicle registered as a motorcycle in the disabled person's name may apply for a special registration plate which shall bear the International Symbol of Access.

All normal sales tax and fees for registration and title are applicable.

You may apply for a disability plate by completing form H-13B and by providing proof of disability on a  Special Permit Application and Impairment Certificate (form B-225). 

The completed forms may be mailed to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Customized Plates & Copy Records
60 State St
Wethersfield, CT 06161

Note: If you already have a valid permanent parking permit, no further medical documentation to provide proof of disability will be required. You will, however, be required to complete section A of the Special Permit Application and Impairment Certificate (form B-225).

Content Last Modified on 5/19/2017 10:05:34 AM