DMV: Change of Address

  {Mail box for changing address page} Change of Address (Within Connecticut)/Organ and
       Tissue Donor Status


Connecticut law requires all Connecticut residents with a vehicle registration, driver's license, or non-driver identification card to notify the DMV within 48 hours of any change of address. 

You may also register to vote and change your organ/tissue donor status through the change-of-address process. 

What to do:

  • Print out and complete a Change of Address form -
  • Sign the form (Will not be accepted unless signed).
  • Return the completed form to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161-5070
Attn: Data Entry Change of Address Unit
  • On registration(s), cross out the old address and write the new address in the space provided. 
  • Obtain an address label from any Police Department or by calling DMV's Phone Center. 
  • If you call DMV's Phone Center, please wait to be prompted to make a menu selection and then press "1" for automated services, then press "5" for change of address form and label. 
  • Place the new address label to the back of your license or non-driver ID.
Property Tax Bills - Important
Property tax bills for registered vehicles are sent from your local tax assessor and are due in January and July.
If you change your address there is a chance that you may not receive your property tax bill in a timely manner, even if you file a forwarding order with the post office. 
You are liable for the payment of property tax, even if you do not receive a tax bill. Failure to pay the tax bill on time may result in denial of future registrations and/or suspension of your registration privileges.

Be sure to check with the Tax Collector in your previous town and new town if you do not receive a bill. This situation may apply whether the move is within the same town, elsewhere in Connecticut, or out-of-state.
If you move out-of-state you must return the Connecticut marker plates to Connecticut DMV for cancellation to ensure that your vehicle will no longer be assessed for property tax in Connecticut.