DMV: Change of Address

  {Mail box for changing address page} Change of Address (Within Connecticut)/Organ and
       Tissue Donor Status

SERVICE ADVISORY:  DMV will close for the Labor Day holiday as usual on Friday, Sept. 4, at 12:30 p.m. and will not have its half-day office hours the next day, Saturday. This follows contractual agreements related to state and federal holidays that occur on Mondays as Labor Day does. Offices will reopen Tuesday, Sept. 8, at 7:45 a.m. 

Connecticut law requires all Connecticut residents with a vehicle registration, driver's license, or non-driver identification card to notify the DMV within 48 hours of any change of address. 

You may also change your organ/tissue donor status through the change-of-address process. For more information, please visit DMV's How to Become an Organ and Tissue Donor webpage.

What to do:

  • Print out and complete a Change of Address form.
  • Sign the form (Will not be accepted unless signed).
  • Return the completed form to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161-5070
Attn: Data Entry Change of Address Unit
  • On registration(s), cross out the old address and write the new address in the space provided. 
  • Obtain an address label from any Police Department or by calling DMV's Phone Center. 
  • If you call DMV's Phone Center, please wait to be prompted to make a menu selection and then press "1" for automated services, then press "5" for change of address form and label. 
  • Place the new address label to the back of your license or non-driver ID.
Property Tax Bills - Important
Property tax bills for registered vehicles are sent from your local tax assessor and are due in January and July.
If you change your address there is a chance that you may not receive your property tax bill in a timely manner, even if you file a forwarding order with the post office. 
You are liable for the payment of property tax, even if you do not receive a tax bill. Failure to pay the tax bill on time may result in denial of future registrations and/or suspension of your registration privileges.

Be sure to check with the Tax Collector in your previous town and new town if you do not receive a bill. This situation may apply whether the move is within the same town, elsewhere in Connecticut, or out-of-state.
If you move out-of-state you must return the Connecticut marker plates to Connecticut DMV for cancellation to ensure that your vehicle will no longer be assessed for property tax in Connecticut.