DMV: Suspension of Registration for Unpaid Property Taxes

Resolving Registration Suspension
for Unpaid Property Tax

To resolve either a pending or effective registration suspension for unpaid property tax on a motor vehicle, you must contact the tax town which has reported you as delinquent and clear the record with the Collector of Revenue in that jurisdiction. The Tax Collector must then complete and forward a Compliance Notification (form L-22) to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The DMV can take no action until the clearance notification is received from the Collector of Revenue.

If the tax issue is fully resolved before the effective date of suspension noted on your suspension notice, the suspension will be rescinded and you need take no further action. However, if the tax issue is resolved on or after the effective date of suspension, you must submit a check or money order payable to "DMV" in the amount of $175 to restore your registration privilege. You may use the pre-addressed envelope enclosed with the suspension notice; if that is unavailable mail the item(s) to:

State of Connecticut
Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver Services Division
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161-2525

Content Last Modified on 7/29/2015 12:56:40 PM