Vanity Plates are available in Passenger, Combination, Commercial, Motorcycle, Camper and Camp Trailer registration types.
Check to see if the plate you want is available.
In order to apply for a vanity plate the vehicle must:
- Have a valid Connecticut registration.
- If the vehicle is due for renewal, please renew the current registration before applying for vanity plates.
- Not have any delinquent tax or other vehicle compliance issues.
To avoid delays, if you have recently processed a dealer transaction, please call the DMV at 860-263-5154 with your current marker plate number before mailing your application.
Please note that applications for vehicles registered out-of-state or with a temporary registration will not be accepted.
You may only acquire the same registration type as is currently on your vehicle. For example, if you currently have Combination plates on your vehicle, you can only apply for Combination plates - you cannot obtain Combination plates if your vehicle is currently registered with Passenger plates.
Vanity plate requests must be made on the Special Order Plate Application (form M-22). It may take up to 6 weeks to receive your new plates.
The fee is $94.
VANITY PLATE OPTIONS:
- Early American plates can only accommodate 6 characters. If requesting a dot, the dot will count as 1 character on Early American plates.
- There will be no dashes or extra spaces between letters. Only one dot is allowed. The dot cannot be placed at the beginning or end of a plate number.
Requests are processed in the order that they are received. Every attempt will be made to accommodate your request.
The Department of Motor Vehicles reserves the right to deny issuance of certain requests.
For additional information, please contact:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Vanity Plate Unit
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161