DMV: Commercial Vehicles Temporary Plates

Registration of Commercial Vehicles with Temporary Plates

SERVICE ADVISORY:  DMV offices will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 26, for the Thanksgiving Day holiday.  Offices will reopen on Friday, Nov. 27.

Safety inspections are required within 10 days of receiving a temporary commercial plate labeled "Inspection Only".  

  • No inspection will be performed if the title documents are marked "not safe for the road, junk, etc."  A letter from a licensed dealer or repairer is required stating that repairs have been made and the vehicle is now safe for the road.
  • No temporary plates will be issued to a vehicle that has failed for service brakes, steering components or frame rot until repairs have been certified by a licensed dealer or repairer as completed.
  • 60-day Temporary Commercial Registrations will not be issued to vehicles that do not pass an inspection at a DMV facility in full compliance with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. A 10-day "Inspection Only" temporary plate will be issued for this purpose.

Trucks receiving temporary plates for inspection purposes are only able to use the plates to:

  • Move the vehicle to or from the place of sale or transfer.
  • Travel to the plant, construction site or other job location.
  • Obtain repairs.
  • Drive to a site offering a safety inspection.

A truck with a temporary plate issued for inspection purposes is not allowed to carry a load of any kind under any circumstances.


The temporary plate is labeled “Inspection Only” and costs $49 for the 10-day registration period.

Once the vehicle has passed inspection at a DMV facility, it would be eligible for a permanent registration or a 60-day temporary registration.


Inspection Locations


Vehicles that will be operating with 60-day temporary plates for commercial purposes (ie: carrying a load) must pass an inspection at a DMV facility. Please see Inspections Performed at DMV for specific locations and operating times.

Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT): Vehicles registered at 55,000 lbs. and over must pay a special federal highway use tax to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by filing a form no. 2290 (IRS E-filing). DMV requires proof of payment (copy of IRS form no. 2290 receipted for payment by IRS listing the vehicle ID number for which tax was paid) to register or renew vehicles registered at 55,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight and above. You are required to file form no. 2290 with the IRS by the end of the month following the month of the first registration.  Proof of such payment is required by DMV at each renewal.

Content Last Modified on 7/30/2015 10:03:27 AM