DMV: Leased Vehicles-From Out of State

Requirements to Register An
Out-of-State Leased Vehicle


Once you have established residency in Connecticut, you have 60 days to transfer a vehicle(s) registration to this state.  Also, as a new Connecticut resident you have 30 days to transfer your out of state driverís license to Connecticut.  Please see License Requirements for New Residents for detailed information.

An emissions test and vehicle identification number (VIN) verification is required, which is performed at the emissions station. Please bring your vehicle, registration and driverís license to your local emissions test station.

Vehicles that are exempt from emissions testing will require a VIN verification.

A Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) will be completed by the emissions technician and a copy of the report will be given to you. The VIR must be presented to the DMV when applying for a permanent registration.

The leasing company must have a leasing license on file with the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles, Dealer and Repairers Division, before the vehicle can be registered here.   Please call, 860-263-5056 with the leasing company name and address to verify that a leasing license is on file.

Once you have had an emission test and VIN verification completed, you must provide the following documentation to register the vehicle at a DMV Hub Office or Limited Service Office:

  • The out of state certificate of title, if the original certificate is being held by your leasing company, you may have your out of state title mailed to:
    State of Connecticut
    Department of Motor Vehicles
    60 State Street
    Wethersfield, CT 06161

    Letter of Request for Out of State Title
 In absence of the original title if being held by a lienholder - (Courtesy Registration Exemption).
  • A "Power of Attorney" document from the leasing company, showing the name of the person authorized to sign forms necessary to register the vehicle in the state of Connecticut. The person who has the power of attorney must sign the Application for Registration and Title (form H-13B).
  • VIR or VIN verification report.
  • A completed Application for Registration and Title (form H-13B). The name on the H-13B application must be exactly the same as the name on the Connecticut leasing license.   The person who has power of attorney must sign this form.
  • A current Connecticut Insurance Identification Card, which must be obtained from your insurance company.  The insurance card may be in the name of the leasing company or the lessee for registration purposes.

    If this vehicle will be used at any time for a driver test, the insurance card must be in the name of the leasing company.

Content Last Modified on 11/8/2016 12:43:13 PM