DMV: Requirements to Transfer Your Out of State Registered Vehicle

Requirements to Transfer Your
Out of State Registered Vehicle

Once you have established residency in Connecticut, you have 60 days to transfer your vehicle registration to this state.

An emissions test and vehicle identification number (VIN) verification is required, which are performed at the emissions station. Please bring your vehicle, registration and drivers license to your local emissions test station.

Vehicles that are exempt from emissions testing will require a VIN verification

A Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) will be completed by the emissions technician and a copy of the report will be given to you. The VIR must be presented to the DMV when applying for a permanent registration.

Once you have had your emissions test and VIN verification completed, you will need to:

  • Proceed to your local DMV Hub Office or Limited Service Office and submit your out of state Certificate of Title and motor vehicle registration certificate. If there is a change of ownership the title must be assigned to the new owner(s). Please see information on vehicles purchased from out of state.
    Note: If your Title is being held by a leasing company or lien holder, a valid out of state registration certificate will suffice, with the exception of vehicles registered in New York and Maryland. If the registration certificate has expired, a photocopy of the title will also be required. No change of ownership is allowed when presenting a photocopy of the title and registration. Applicants with vehicles registered in New York or Maryland must present the Certificate of Title for the vehicle, or a photocopy if held by the lienholder or leasing company. Registration certificate alone is not acceptable.  
  • Present the VIR (emissions report) or VIN verification report.
  • Complete the Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (form H-13). 
  • Provide your current Connecticut Insurance Identification Card, which can be obtained from your insurance company.  The insurance card must be in the name of registered owner(s) of vehicle.  If vehicle is being leased, the insurance card may be in the name of the lessee.
  • An acceptable form of identification for all owners listed on the registration application.
Vehicles cannot be registered if delinquent property tax or parking tickets are owed or if the registrant has had their registration privilege suspended.
Note:  As a new Connecticut resident you have 30 days to transfer your out of state drivers license to Connecticut.  Please see License Requirements for New Residents for detailed information.

Content Last Modified on 7/30/2015 10:53:13 AM