DMV: Requirements for Military Personnel Registering a Vehicle in Connecticut

Requirements for Military Personnel
Registering a Vehicle in Connecticut

Any Connecticut resident at the time of induction currently serving active military duty that has purchased a vehicle may register and title that vehicle in their home state of Connecticut.

Please select the topic below that applies to your situation.  Please complete the required documents and mail them to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Customized Services Unit
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161-5049

See more information on:

New Vehicles:

Out of State Used Vehicle:

Registration of a Used Vehicle Previously Registered in Connecticut :

Transferring your current Connecticut registration and marker plates:

  • Requirements are the same as listed above for new vehicles, out of state vehicles, or previous Connecticut registered vehicles. In addition, a copy of your current registration certificate is required.

Note: Vehicles cannot be registered if delinquent property tax, parking tickets, or emission late fees are owed or if the registrant has had his/her registration privilege suspended.

Waiver of Registration Fees

Connecticut General Statutes [14-50(c) and 27-102a] allow for the waiver of license and registration fees for any resident of Connecticut who is on active duty with the armed forces of the United States and for two (2) years following the date of their honorable discharge. This includes Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard (cadets and midshipmen). National Guard members and Reservists are eligible if they have been called to active duty for any length of time and show their active duty orders. Active Duty military members must show their current military id cards, or if discharged must show DD214 form showing honorable discharge. National Guard and Reservists must show their active duty orders to qualify for the fee waiver.  

To obtain a waiver of the registration fee, you must complete the Application for Waiver of Registration Fee for Someone in the Military (Form B-276), and a copy of your military ID with each registration transaction.

Fees that are waived include: New and renewal registration fees, temporary plate fee, safety plate fee, clean air act fee.

Fees that are not waived include: Title and lien fees, vehicle or record transfer fees, duplicate registration, sub reg fees (replace lost or stolen plate) special plate fees, sales tax, or other fees mentioned in this document.

Late fees for registration renewal and emission testing may be waived if the registration is renewed or vehicle is emission tested within 60 days of the date the military member is discharged from the service. Discharge form DD214 must be presented.

Registration Renewal

An invitation to renew your registration will automatically be mailed, to the address that we have on record for you, within 60 days prior to your expiration date.  Please read and follow the instructions that are included on the invitation.

The registration renewal process and actual certificate has changed. Ten days after submitting this online renewal request, you can verify that the DMV received your payment and that your registration has been renewed by visiting the DMV’s online registration renewal verification website. Please see more information on the registration process.

If the invitation to renew indicates that there are municipal property taxes due from a certain town, you must provide proof of payment of the overdue municipal property tax (proof of payment is indicated when the tax collectors stamp is imprinted on back of the invitation).  Vehicles cannot be registered if delinquent property tax, parking tickets, or emissions late fees are owed or if the registrant has had his/her registration privilege suspended or if the vehicle is not emissions compliant.

Mail the invitation, copy of military ID and required waiver (B-276), in the return envelope provided. If the envelope is missing, mail your renewal to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 150444
Hartford CT 06115-0444

Note:  Your registration will not be processed in person, it must be mailed to the address above.  

If you did not receive an invitation to renew in the mail, please contact the DMV with your name, current mailing address, marker plate number and vehicle identification number. Please advise if there has been a change concerning your address.

Content Last Modified on 7/20/2015 2:36:22 PM