DMV: International Registration Plan (IRP)

International Registration Plan (IRP)

Holiday Closing:  DMV offices will close this Thursday (Feb. 11) at 3:15 p.m. and remain closed this Friday (Feb. 12) and Saturday (Feb. 13) for the Pres. Lincoln and Washington holidays.

Connecticut is a member of the International Registration Plan (IRP).  Connecticut registered motor vehicles that travel to another IRP jurisdiction (US states and Canadian provinces), and which have a gross weight or combined gross weight in excess of 26,000 pounds or three or more axles on the power unit, must either be registered in the IRP or obtain a special trip permits whenever the vehicle leaves the borders of Connecticut.  Qualified motor vehicles from another IRP jurisdiction must have Connecticut on the cab card or have a valid Connecticut IRP trip permit prior to entering Connecticut. 

Non-apportioned vehicles operating intrastate in Connecticut must register in Connecticut under regular commercial registration. Motor vehicles are registered on the basis of combined gross weight-the total weight of the vehicle and maximum load to be carried.  For combination vehicles, the gross weight is on the power unit.  A motor vehicle may not be operated in excess of the maximum weight allowed for its configuration without additional permits.

Do not obtain or renew regular Commercial plates if you think you will be obtaining Apportioned plates.  Newly registered IRP commercial vehicles expire 12 months from the date of registration, on the last day of the month.  There is no commercial credit if the vehicles were previously registered with commercial plates. 

Please Note: A $150 late fee will be assessed on apportioned registrations not renewed within five (5) calendar days after  the expiration date.

Note: Vehicles that are exempt from IRP include government owned vehicles; buses and livery vehicles used exclusively for charter parties; vehicles displaying a restricted plate such as dealer, repair, transporter, owner contractor, or farm; city pick-up and delivery vehicles and recreational vehicles

If you think the IRP program applies to you, please contact:

  Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles
IRP Section
60 State Street - Room 307
Wethersfield, CT  06161-1010
Phone:  860-263-5281

To obtain Connecticut Apportioned plates you must provide evidence of mandatory liability insurance coverage.  A vehicle inspection is required on all vehicles prior to Apportioned registration. Vehicles with out-of-state titles must provide evidence of a VIN inspection.  A safety inspection is required for vehicles 10-years-old and older if there has been a change of ownership.

IRP apportioned registrations are valid for 1 year and expire on the last day of the month in which you enter the IRP program. Once you have established an IRP account, you can at any time add vehicles to the account, delete vehicles, transfer vehicles, change vehicle weight, etc. You will receive a renewal application in the mail 90 days before expiration. You must return the IRP renewal application 45 days before expiration.

New IRP accounts and IRP account renewals are not processed over-the-counter. Other transactions (such as lost cabcards, lost plates, adding a vehicle to an account, transferring a vehicle, address changes, etc.) are processed to completion over-the-counter. Otherwise, you may mail or drop off applications for return to you by mail, or you may pick them up at a later date/time.

Payment of fees for IRP new accounts or renewals must be made in Guaranteed Funds (certified check, bank check, money order), while personal and business checks are acceptable for other transactions.

Window service hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 11:30. Thursday 9:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.  Customers may drop off forms and payment for return by mail, or by later pick-up. New IRP accounts and IRP account renewals are not processed over-the-counter while the customer waits. These must be mailed or dropped off.

Office hours for telephone inquiries: Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; Call first with questions before coming in person during window service hours, if you are unsure of requirements.

IRP Telephone Number: 860-263-5281

Customers may email the IRP Unit at  or call IRP at 860-263-5281 leave voice-mail messages on the telephone answering machine, 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a week. Voice-mail, and email inquires will be answered on the next business day.

Trip Permits

If you do not have Apportioned plates, but need to cross the Connecticut border with either a multi-axled vehicle or a vehicle (or combination) over 26,000 pounds, you must obtain a Trip Permit for any jurisdiction you travel in. If you have Apportioned plates but you want to cross into a jurisdiction not listed on your cabcard, you must obtain a Trip Permit for that jurisdiction, or else obtain a new cabcard from the IRP Section with that jurisdiction listed. Call the IRP Section 860-263-5281 for the most current telephone numbers of commercial wire services that issue TRIP PERMITS by phone for payment by credit card.

Other requirements for Commercial Vehicles:

Commercial vehicles registered under the IRP program must also comply with certain other mandates, as may be required:

UCR (Unified Carrier registration)  SSRS has been repealed, and has been replaced by UCR.  Please see our UCR informational page.

International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA), administered by the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services (DRS), may also apply to you if you travel interstate and operate an "apportionable" vehicle or combination (3 or more axled unit, or over 26,000 gross weight or combined gross weight). This is a method for the payment distribution of fuel taxes to jurisdictions traveled in, as determined by the total distance traveled in each jurisdiction and total amount of taxable fuel purchased.

Oversize/Overweight Permits (OS/OW): If you operate at a weight beyond statutory limits for the number of axles and distance between axles, or if you operate a vehicle that is beyond dimensional (size) limits, then you must obtain a special Oversize/Overweight Permit from the Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT).  Statutory limits for width, length, height or weight can be found under the following statutes:
  • Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-262
  • Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-264
  • Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-267a
  • Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-269

HAZ-MAT Permits: If you transport waste oil, petroleum and chemical liquids, hazardous waste, or biomedical waste, you may need a special permit (Waste Transporter Permit) from the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP), Bureau of Waste Management.

Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT): Vehicles registered at 55,000 lbs. and over must pay a special federal highway use tax to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by filing a form no. 2290 (IRS E-filing). DMV requires proof of payment (copy of IRS form no. 2290 receipted for payment by IRS listing the vehicle ID number for which tax was paid) to register or renew vehicles registered at 55,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight and above. You are required to file form no. 2290 with the IRS by the end of the month following the month of the first registration.  Proof of such payment is required by DMV at each renewal.

Content Last Modified on 12/17/2015 11:48:41 AM